Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In-Game Quest Markers or Analog Navigation?

Which do you prefer? An in game quest marker immediately directing you to your destination, or would you rather be required to read the quest description to find your destination?

Personally I like to role play in my role playing games, so small quirks like reading the quest text really just help me immerse myself a bit more into my character, so if i had to say, id prefer relaxing and reading my quests rather than racing and following my quest markers.

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I always find the journey is the best part of quests so I'm going to say analog
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like it, when i actually have to find quests myself, that makes every npc interesting and worth talking to
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I love having to find it, as long as they aren't over the top dickish with hiding things.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer to explore and figure stuff out over click click click quest is done yay. I think markers take away from the whole RPG aspect of the game and exploration by leading people to the exact point on the map the next objective is at. I think it also separates the community. Why talk to anyone if you can't figure it out when the quest marker is yelling "HERE I AM".
    Short story long I prefer analog.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer to explore and often enjoy being lost, so analog for sure. An option for either wouldn't be bad.
    Loved getting lost in Morrowind, one of my favorite memories.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the clues in the quest log are clear enough then analog is fine - Give me "South of that place, west of the other place" and I'll do a grid search to find it.

If it's only "South of the chain of mountains that run east to west the length of the continent" then screw it, give me a marker because no one has time for that.
    owuEH4S.png
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like to explore and find things for myself being directed around by quest markers kind of defeats the purpose of MMO's IMO.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    i personally like quest markers and dont want to read and figure out what's ment with it. especially when its crypted into words. the challenge i expect is actually getting there.
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • I could see a mixture of both. Maybe quest markers can appear if your character has collected information regarding the area or quest objectives. That could lead to more people visiting the Library to gain the knowledge instead of using the directions the NPC gave you to figure it out.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they (IS) once said that it will be analogue but i am not too sure. In either case, i like analogue more then markers. That way you will have to actually read the questlog and know WHY you have to kill 20 rabbits and bring the quest npc their pelt.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • beardobeardo Member, Intrepid Pack
    Quest markers are the best. It feels like a waste of time searching for some random mob.
  • burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    I like analog, I just hope that we're allowed to mark on our maps. That way I can, in a sense, track the location of multiple active quests at once. Being able to share map markings with other people would be nice too, or to be able to mark on their maps with permission.
  • KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Nagash wrote: »
    I always find the journey is the best part of quests so I'm going to say analog

Always journey before destination. ;)

I also prefer to go find it especially since I may find cooler stuff along the way. You know as long as its not as hard to find as mankrik's wife and the ever elusive nodes 3. ( which steven has said will arrive around alpha one but Jahlons video shows just how elusive nodes 3 has been.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_l_p13ANJA

• What it comes for questing I prefer quality over quantity. So I do not mind if quest is long if it feels meaningful and has good reward waiting at the end. I also hope that people needs to actually read the quest before going to act. It is also important to understand why you are going after that quest and how this might effect to progression of your node.

So I would say less map markers is better option and if there will be some markers, maybe those could show the area and not the exact place where to go. I also liked the idea of making markings by yourself, but you need to gather that information first from quest description, notes you make during your journey or maybe even after visiting library.

I think we need a revolution in questing too. In WoW for example there is a good amount of interesting and fun quest with rich lore, but the problem is that most of the players are not even reading those. Just because you do not need to and you are in rush to progress towards the level gap.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Personally I think you should have to read the quest text to know what you're suppose to be doing. I think markers on the map or indicators on quest targets takes away from the immersion of the quest.
    And for quest givers I don't think they need to have some obvious quest markers on them to tell you they have a quest available, but some subtle animation like waving their hand to motion to you they have something to say would be interesting.
    k2U15J3.png
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I have had some quests that say "it" is near so-n-so and when you do the quest it's on the other side of map. Go figure. I like when maps have shaded areas so you know generally where to look.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer the analog style as long as the quest itself is descriptive enough so you can actually find it. There are far to many games that hand hold you through quests and direct you exactly where to go and on the fastest route.
  • I've noticed that if there's a quest marker, might as well give me autopathing as well. Once there's a yellow marker, I will probably ignore it all and just go there.
    If I have to pay attention where I'm walking, it's different.

I'm actually really bad at directions, but I prefer that. As long as I have a map that I can check, I think it's enough. Doesn't even need to be a perfect map, just a general idea.

Quest markers take the immersion out, and I feel you're playing the Addon/map game, instead of actually enjoying it.

One of the things that made games memorable was not everything served on a silver plate.
  • hacksawhacksaw Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally, I'd like a combination. For unexplored regions or quests you have yet to complete, discovery is pretty neat. Having to go through quest text to learn the lay of the land and landmarks I feel is a great way to worldbuild. However, if I've been running around the same area doing the same sort of quests and stuff, I'd like to be able to auto-pilot there. Especially if I've already completed that particular quest or explored that particular area. I'm not a huge fan of having to redo stuff, so anything to remove that sort of tedium would be welcomed.
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Definitely analog.
  • RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I prefer a subtle indication that an NPC has a quest to give, as well as some type of marker. maybe just a highlighted region on my map, or a mark on my compass. I do a lot of exploring and zig zagging along my way as I gather materials so I will hopefully find new stuff as I go.
  • hacksaw wrote: »
    Especially if I've already completed that particular quest or explored that particular area. I'm not a huge fan of having to redo stuff

That guy who invented repeatable- and dailyquest, and actually thought those are fun, should be shot. ;)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Prefer having to read and understand the quest then figure out where to look.

I always end up leaning on quest markers to skip text and complete questions as quickly as possible, making them feel insignificant. I want to break this habit.
  • Analog all the way. its effect on immersion when done right is what adds that depth and desire to acutally engage the world.
  • I enjoy journey, only if i don't have to repeat one mission twice.
    wasikovee
  • I really like @Ruanku idea. I dislike having to read every bit of text although I do enjoy some lore. So pure analog wouldn't be very enjoyable to me.
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • timbatimba Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to have a good map and dont want to search hours of hours for a quest mob. especially when the translation to german ist not good enough to understand probably, and my english ist too bad to play and aunderstand everything :D.
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I just hope locations or landmarks are labeled. So that sharing directions with guild mates or friends is easier. I would also like to be able to place a waypoint marker on my map. I am easily distracted so keeping the direction to my destination would be great.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Sivanna
    ^This!
    I didnt even think about waypoints on maps, but they would make it so much easier for everyone, especially if we are able to share waypoints with guildmembers etc!
    Another cool thing, would be the creation of notes on your map. Like you can note that there is a good spawnpoint for ore and in another place are secret ruins.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • chickachasechickachase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Analog is fun for a time but can get annoying really fast. Playing Elder scrolls 3 it was cool for some quests but other quests was just down right annoying. So if there's a system for both or maybe map coordinates I could agree with.
    HSGNewSignatureFormatChickaChaseApril12th2nd_Edition.png?width=1442&height=416