Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Maybe APOC needs a darker aura...

Hi everyone, since the first time i watch a gameplay of APOCALYPSE something kind of bothers me and thats the lack of a more grimmer, decadent, darker enviroment.
When you go and read the lore of Verra, you can visualize that some kind of eldritch horror thing has come to end the world and so the people are fleing the cities and maybe the anarchy has started to spred among the kingdoms, the every man on his own anarchy, and when i see the enviroments of the current game, is has colorfull and vibrant has fortnite or something like that, maybe is somenthing that's not that relevant but it could make a lot for the inmersion experience, what do you think? should they dont pay atenttion to it? its not a priority? could it help for the lore expansion? :hushed:
giphy.gif

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, that always annoyed me, I mean its the end of the world and you all here to fight to live and yet the world seems fine. Please give the ashes of creation end times ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Yeah, that always annoyed me, I mean its the end of the world and you all here to fight to live and yet the world seems fine. Please give the ashes of creation end times ^^

IKR like houses on fire, tainted land, idk about corpses but, maybe some improvised tombs here and there, dried trees, a kind darker sky, things like that, as you say IS THE APOCALYPSE, make it look like the world is at the verge of destruction :dizzy:
    giphy.gif
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

IKR like houses on fire, tainted land, idk about corpses but, maybe some improvised tombs here and there, dried trees, a kind darker sky, things like that, as you say IS THE APOCALYPSE, make it look like the world is at the verge of destruction :dizzy:

the only place that is like that was the harbinger and even that was tame for the core of corruption
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd kind of want to see a lighting option in game where you can choose things like normal, vivid, grim etc.
  • LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Keep in mind that APOC's reason for existence is a testing ground for elements of the MMO. That includes various artistic assets. While an entire map that is living Lovecraftian nightmare would be really neat and absolutely thematic, it's way over the scale and purpose of the mode and they wouldn't get to test as much of the environments out they wanted to showcase.
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Keep in mind that APOC's reason for existence is a testing ground for elements of the MMO. That includes various artistic assets. While an entire map that is living Lovecraftian nightmare would be really neat and absolutely thematic, it's way over the scale and purpose of the mode and they wouldn't get to test as much of the environments out they wanted to showcase.

the problem is apoc is set in the fall where the world should be in chaos
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Lyiat wrote: »

I understand what you're saying but maybe they could take that turn when APOC is no longer a test realm and became a part of the whole game
    giphy.gif
    The question I have is does apocalypse look like well the apocalypse
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Nagash wrote: »

it certainly doesn't
    giphy.gif

it certainly doesn't

then we have a problem ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

it certainly doesn't

Looks kind of like my little pony, vivid and colorful.
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

it certainly doesn't

its not that bad but it should feel a lot grimmer
    nJ0vUSm.gif

it certainly doesn't

Yeah I agree, some people might not like it though thats why I think a lighting option would be great, so we have presets tailored to peoples needs c: personally a grim and dark-ish world would be great for me contrasted with vivid colors for magic and stuff c:
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The BR is the beginning of the fall.
    Horde should be where everything is super dark.
    Dygz wrote: »
    The BR is the beginning of the fall.
    Horde should be where everything is super dark.

I thought the fall was happening and the people fighting in the BR are the last ones trying to get through the gateway but failed
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Beginning of the fall means the fall is happening.
    The people in the BR are the last to leave before the world goes to hell.
    The world gets worse during Siege.
    And even worse during Horde.
  • TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, time for intrepid to just add a filter to it, so it looks more apocalyptic, let it rain blood. >:)
    Teyloune wrote: »
    Well, time for intrepid to just add a filter to it, so it looks more apocalyptic, let it rain blood. >:)

now we are talking ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• timbatimba Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well depending on the apocalypse. :x
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Great thread, absolutely spot on. It is the Apocalypse but the world seemed fine and dandy. It needs to feel a lot grimmer, darker, more hopeless.. I do understand it was only a test platform and the visuals at the time were still very much high fantasy, but if they do decide to keep Apocalypse as a free game to introduce new players to the world then I hope they do angle the atmosphere to a more desperate one.
    the should just call apoc

Verra: the End Times
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I actually appreciate the bright colors and the beauty of it all.

In the grand scheme of things, this makes it more realistic and immersive to me. In nature, chances are the brighter the colors, the more deadly the thing. Is something glowing? Oh, it's just to lure things in and kill it, eat it, etc. That brightly colored frog there? Oh, that'll kill you if you even scratch yourself on something that it touched.

It actually reminds me of the security officer on Pandora in the movie Avatar:
    "You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentlemen. Respect that fact every second of every day. If there is a Hell, you might wanna go there for some R & R after a tour on Pandora. Out there beyond that fence every living thing that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubes. We have an indigenous population of humanoids called the Na'vi. They're fond of arrows dipped in a neurotoxin that will stop your heart in one minute - and they have bones reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fiber. They are very hard to kill. As head of security, it is my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. Not with all of you. If you wish to survive, you need to cultivate a strong, mental aptitude. You got to obey the rules: Pandora rules. Rule number one... "

Why can't the world of Apocalypse be bright and beautiful before its impending corruption and doom?
    Heck, why can't it be even more bright and beautiful and even more deadly after? A world that survives and even thrives after its been abandoned to systemic corruption? Sounds horrifying if you ask me.

More than half the lore behind the cutest creatures so far are basically "That adorable cute thing? Yeah, don't touch him or he will absolutely ruin your day!"

If we wanted to have discussions about the nature of evil, corruption, or deception, that might be a different discussion...
    edited April 2019
    caelron wrote: »
    I actually appreciate the bright colors and the beauty of it all.

In the grand scheme of things, this makes it more realistic and immersive to me. In nature, chances are the brighter the colors, the more deadly the thing. Is something glowing? Oh, it's just to lure things in and kill it, eat it, etc. That brightly colored frog there? Oh, that'll kill you if you even scratch yourself on something that it touched.

It actually reminds me of the security officer on Pandora in the movie Avatar:
    "You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentlemen. Respect that fact every second of every day. If there is a Hell, you might wanna go there for some R & R after a tour on Pandora. Out there beyond that fence every living thing that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubes. We have an indigenous population of humanoids called the Na'vi. They're fond of arrows dipped in a neurotoxin that will stop your heart in one minute - and they have bones reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fiber. They are very hard to kill. As head of security, it is my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. Not with all of you. If you wish to survive, you need to cultivate a strong, mental aptitude. You got to obey the rules: Pandora rules. Rule number one... "

Why can't the world of Apocalypse be bright and beautiful before its impending corruption and doom?
    Heck, why can't it be even more bright and beautiful and even more deadly after? A world that survives and even thrives after its been abandoned to systemic corruption? Sounds horrifying if you ask me.

More than half the lore behind the cutest creatures so far are basically "That adorable cute thing? Yeah, don't touch him or he will absolutely ruin your day!"

If we wanted to have discussions about the nature of evil, corruption, or deception, that might be a different discussion...

see I would agree with that but we have already see what corruption looks like and its not like the world we saw in apoc.

[img][/img]xu70W8A.jpg

450px-Newsletter_Environment2.png

these show the harbinger area in apoc which is the only corrupted area in the map
    nJ0vUSm.gif

it certainly doesn't

So wait. Just to clarify on this, you want Intrepid to spend a lot of time on a test mode making assets for the test mode that they may not be able to use in the full game (as the full game is not a corrupted wasteland)... and yet you got annoyed to hear they 'wasted time' on making a hidden sandal that at most took an hour of someone's free time to implement?

I don't need APOC to have a bunch of specialty assets to make it feel thematic. It's something to waste time with. You want to know what the corruption looks like? Run into the storm wall. Look around. It's terrifying. They don't need to do any more than they have.
    In short, yes.

The reason I think APOC should have a darker tone is not just for my own enjoyment but instead for the sake of logic and continuity. The game mode is called apocalypse and is meant to show the last few months of Verra before everything had gone to hell, I mean we are all fighting just to leave verra, plus it has been demonstrated many times in the lore we got from apoc that the Verra is f**ked so why not show it? While I understand what you mean by spending time making the resources to make this happen would take away from the MMO and I agree with that but the fact remains that they could have made apoc with a darker tone to start with.

As for your point about the saddle to me, the saddle was never a waste of time or resources as its just a tiny item. the problem I have is that its a pointless idea that seems out of place in the APOC setting
    nJ0vUSm.gif

it certainly doesn't

So wait. Just to clarify on this, you want Intrepid to spend a lot of time on a test mode making assets for the test mode that they may not be able to use in the full game (as the full game is not a corrupted wasteland)... and yet you got annoyed to hear they 'wasted time' on making a hidden sandal that at most took an hour of someone's free time to implement?

I don't need APOC to have a bunch of specialty assets to make it feel thematic. It's something to waste time with. You want to know what the corruption looks like? Run into the storm wall. Look around. It's terrifying. They don't need to do any more than they have.

They set APOC as a place where a huge disaster happened enough to warrant an evacuation of the entire planted, people are killing each other and soon they will have to face a huge horde of monsters, this does warrant a dark mood, it's logical and fits perfectly with what they present to us. The sandal is just an easter egg/tribute to steven himself, it has nothing to do with the game lore as far as we know and it is really stupid to consider a sandal on the same level as the mood of the game. It's like somebody making concept art for a horror game but using a colorful and vivid palette that screams my little pony because "it does not need to be themathic" of course it does.

it certainly doesn't

They set APOC as a place where a huge disaster happened enough to warrant an evacuation of the entire planted, people are killing each other and soon they will have to face a huge horde of monsters, this does warrant a dark mood, it's logical and fits perfectly with what they present to us. The sandal is just an easter egg/tribute to steven himself, it has nothing to do with the game lore as far as we know and it is really stupid to consider a sandal on the same level as the mood of the game. It's like somebody making concept art for a horror game but using a colorful and vivid palette that screams my little pony because "it does not need to be themathic" of course it does.

And if this was the full game, I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's a test for Ashes of Creation. There's no point for them to generate a bunch of assets to be used for this mode that can't be used for the full game. It's a waste of resources, a waste of time, and frankly the BR has been bloody delayed enough. I'll take my bright sunny apocalypse because I know what APOC is. A testing ground for assets, mechanics, and server backend for the MMO I paid for.

It doesn't need anything beyond what it was built to do.

it certainly doesn't

And if this was the full game, I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's a test for Ashes of Creation. There's no point for them to generate a bunch of assets to be used for this mode that can't be used for the full game. It's a waste of resources, a waste of time, and frankly the BR has been bloody delayed enough. I'll take my bright sunny apocalypse because I know what APOC is. A testing ground for assets, mechanics, and server backend for the MMO I paid for.

The problem with that is APOC is a game now as well. it even has a battle pass
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Again... the BR is the beginning of the fall.
    We should expect Siege and Horde to be darker in tone as Corruption progresses across the region with each mode addition.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

it certainly doesn't

The devs have already voiced their interest to perhaps release APOC as its own standalone game after ashes releases.

Plus when you monetize a test like they have with APOC, it becomes a product and is judged as such