Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

in-game economy

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Every mmorpg struggles when it comes to maintaining the in-game economy. Some games even get to the point where the in-game currency becomes so worthless that players stop using it entirely. I've been out of the loop for awhile but have the devs talked about how they plan to keep the economy on track?
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think we should replace the currency with fish.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Every mmorpg struggles when it comes to maintaining the in-game economy. Some games even get to the point where the in-game currency becomes so worthless that players stop using it entirely. I've been out of the loop for awhile but have the devs talked about how they plan to keep the economy on track?

The fact they have a PhD in Economics on the steam to help develop the economy helps.

Eve Online did this and it worked very well.

Since Ashes like Eve Online is based around player created goods not raid drops, the economy will be as weak or as healthy as the players make it.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited April 2019
    Generally games needs different kind of ingame currency- and item sinks to avoid inflation. In player-driven economies this is even more crucial to be done right.

I do not remember how much devs have opened their sink mechanics, but here is few what I remember are mentioned;

Ingame currency sinks:
    - Repair station
    - Taxes
    - Micro fees
    - Cosmetics

Item sinks:
    - Item break (items can not be repaired forever)
    - Item salvage (for resources)
    - Item learn (for recipe)

These might also be on list, but I am not sure.. Anyway, I would suggest to use crafted items for repair in some cases or as ingredient when crafting something else.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • grisugrisu Member
    Our countries usually have economists and look where it got us. :P.
    Inflation usually starts to spiral when there is an addon happening, higher levels, higher mobs and the percieved need to make the new content more rewarding. I find it unecessery, but w/e.

I think that's the biggest trap that spirals inflation out of controll the most, everything else is a balancing act. Will Ashes manage it? Who knows, we'll see.
    I still think one of the easiest ways to avoid it is screw levels and just do resistances. Land hazards that you have to adjust to over time or straight out build armor for/find spells/enhance your body through quests gathering ancient runes. The posibilities are endless.
    I doubt Ashes will do that, there has been some comments about wanting to keep the armor collection small, but as said the way Ashes presents itself, I think the biggest inflation drivers won't be present in the first place.

How will Ashes in general do it? Well I mean in essence it will always be money sinks, however you want to dress it up. Money sinks that you have to balance.
    That said, I think the localized markets in itself will lead to higher expenses when it comes to repairing equipment, because convinience over some more spent money.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819