Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Are you going to read all the quest text during your first play through?

FiastosFiastos Member, Settler
I myself will but I was interested if other people will do the same.

Comments

• PlutoPluto Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    I'd like to think that I am, but lets be honest I'm not.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am hoping during Alpha i can enjoy the story line of the quests especially the initial quests without feeling rushed because i want to level up quickly. Generally my first play through i try to read as much as i can but end up skipping. A lot depends on how interesting the quest lines are.
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I usually do the first time I experience them. As I have A1 access I'll probably read them during the test phases but for release skip through the early quests.
    signature.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My first character will read through every quest, search for each and every chest, dive into all puddles and ponds and forge everlasting bonds.
    (Hey, that rhymed! :D)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As there will be no quest markers to mindlessly follow it might pay to do some reading. Though I do read the quests on my first run through quest marker or not.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I always read the quest text my first time around.

• T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Of course I'm going to read thru everything! I will also talk to every NPC that I am able; it's just my curious nature. I'll explore as much as I can, too, and uncover my fog of war.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Also remember, what you will be seeing in Alpha and Beta is a slice of the content, you won't be able to experience everything.

Plus, what you experience on your Alpha server may not be the same as what you experience on your live server given how the Nodes develop.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes going to read everything ! Alrdy going to play 18 hours a day at launch, just aswell make that 19
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    During testing I will definitely be reading through everything, mostly to make sure all the quest text is written correctly. After that, when the game is live I will only read quest lines that interest me or are important to the main storyline (if there is a main story line).
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I think I will c: we'll have to see how interesting it is though~!
    Poko.png
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think I'll do my best to read as much quest text as I can, though I'm used to it being pretty useless whether you do it or not
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wish I knew how to read.

Virtue is the only good.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unless something core has changed they plan for everyone to read, a lot. They just don't have the scratch budgeted to do voice acting and have been clear from early on that they wanted to "make MMOs great again" by returning to those old school roots. Will there be an element of "ffs, not a fetch and carry quest again" that makes your eyes roll back in your head? Sure, but the early days of giddy glee and pie-in-the-sky promises that populated 2016 hopefully haven't been crushed under the weight of development and angry, trollish fanpandas who have tried to take them from their original dream.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I do try to read every quest text but if they are badly written then I'm just going to skip them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    I just hope they had a /typo command so I can report bad text.
    I would also like a /feedback command to give direct comments about things in game.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Only if they manage to stay relevant / interesting to me. If at any point it gets disappointing or repetitive I will lose interest and start skipping.
    2PXdm1m
  • pjrydeckerpjrydecker Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I will read all the law text but doubt I will read all the save npcx from npcy text unless it turns out to be really compelling.
    4ZZpOBh.gif
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll read any main story quests, and enough of side quests to get an idea of what I need to do, I'm really hoping there isn't going to be a lot of questing UI elements that tell exactly where to go and force some level of reading.
    k2U15J3.png
  • beardobeardo Member, Intrepid Pack
    What quest have text? Oh you mean the quest progress info like "5 of 10 bad guys slain" yeh i might read it but probably not.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    jahlon wrote: »
    Also remember, what you will be seeing in Alpha and Beta is a slice of the content, you won't be able to experience everything.

Plus, what you experience on your Alpha server may not be the same as what you experience on your live server given how the Nodes develop.

Yes, there will be a good amount of lore and such that may not appear until AOC is live, Steven has stated numerous time that he wants to keep as much lore and such under wraps as long as possible. There is also the fact that once live your server will develop differently to the test phases and as such different quests may populate according to racial influence.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    I will because I like lore. But if its all "please kill these 5 wolfs and bring me their pelts because of x reason I will tune out pretty quickly. Sometimes I do tune out and all this cool stuff starts happening and I get confused. So I definitely will be paying attention at first at least. Btw that makes me think what will the first quest or 30 min of gameplay be? Will it be a long cinematic(which could be really, I think the lich king cinematic opening was great) or a quest that hopefully isn't kill 5 of x. Maybe it could be something related to the great terror that drove them away in the first place.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    Yes if:
    1) It's necessary to complete quests
    2) Text may contain hidden information for secret quests
  • Fiastos wrote: »

I always say to myself that I should and will. Although that probably will end the very same day :#
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    muridious wrote: »
    Fiastos wrote: »

I always say to myself that I should and will. Although that probably will end the very same day :#

Its like new years resolutions ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »
    My first character will read through every quest, search for each and every chest, dive into all puddles and ponds and forge everlasting bonds.
    (Hey, that rhymed! :D)

<3 let me guess...you're usually a bard ;)
    community_management.gif
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    In every MMO I read all quests the first playthrough. After that, I press E or F to get to the point.
  • poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Are you going to Read the guide on how to install a microwave on your first installation?

NEXT!

AhuZFn7.gif
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    poisonz wrote: »

Are you going to Read the guide on how to install a microwave on your first installation?

NEXT!

You joke but there are people who should read it.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I don't read the quests, they just become busy work. I want to enjoy the game.

Also this is an entire new ip, no reason not to read the quests unless I know 100% that they're just filler content and don't have any actual information about the world.

I mean not every quest is going to be important, it will be about making you care about a character, but we'll see if they matter to the world I guess.