Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Bad mayors

More of a Question but lets say you have a mayor that stopped playing. Or starts playing at odd hours or is a traitor that has other nodes interest in mind. Or a mayor that can be bribed for x amount of gold. I am just saying met a lot of strange people on line. You guys know what I am talking about. Really what type of measures does Ashes of Creation have in place for this. I mean in theary it sound great. But maybe when you add the human element then well there might be candidates paying people gold for their vote.

Comments

• Rem_Rem_ Member
    edited May 2019
    I think the point is that it IS able to happen. That adds an elements of realism, not being FORCED to be good. I'm sure you'd be able to overthrow him or something, just like if you have a bad king or queen you can help seige their own castle and take them out of power. I'd hope there would be some way to do the same with mayors!
    Poko.png
  • infernomiesterinfernomiester Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The mayor can only spend tax money on city development. A mayer cannot keep a node running alone. People will simply leave and the node will continuously delevel
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Did you ever hear of the EVE Online "Judge"? No? He infiltrated an Alliance of 400.000 players and then stole ALL of their money and assets :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • amuriaamuria Member, Intrepid Pack
    If a player stopped playing you could have a timer of how long till you lose your node position which then would trigger a new election that way people can be gone for a bit but not fully leave and stall the game. Otherwise they simply shouldn't be a possible pick for the next election.

Mayors which play at odd hours, are bribable, or are traitors should not be prevented to a certain extent. The mayor shouldn't be able to erase the entire node. However, he should be able to cause issues which others will have to fix again like pushing the node in a completely new direction which doesn't help its current progression. Taking away the ability to be something like would dull the game down. If you vote for someone you should know that person or you are gambling.

Maybe there could be voteable council which can call for a reelection or trust voting, but it shouldn't be free. Of course, the council could also be in on it but then voters would be at fault.
  • infernomiesterinfernomiester Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This game is more structured against that type of gameplay. Since it will take more than one guild to develop a not to a considerable size, the mayor can't have too much power
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some of the Node types will have elections. And I'm assuming the ones who don't will have methods to remove rulers (revolt, assassination, wall up his house, ect)
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think this came up in a Live Stream, and Steven pretty much said you'd have to wait til the next selection round which is scheduled to be monthly at this point in time.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of the EVE Online "Judge"? No? He infiltrated an Alliance of 400.000 players and then stole ALL of their money and assets :D

Article with the story:

https://kotaku.com/how-eve-players-pulled-off-the-biggest-betrayal-in-its-1806168400

Hhak63P.png
    I guess you could always put out an assassination contract.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think to answer this question, we have to first define what a bad mayor is. If he is continuously elected, is he really that bad?

In order to prevent a mayor from holding the position of power uncontested for too long, elections will take place. There are four different types of election methods:

- Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.
    - Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.
    - Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
    - Scientific node governments are elected democratically.

These means will ensure that if an individual or group is dissatisfied with the current mayor, they themselves are able to be elected.

Otherwise you can always declare war on the node :)
    You can't declare war on your own node.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    elf wrote: »

Convince another node to do it XD
    k2U15J3.png
    arzosah wrote: »

Convince another node to do it XD

Yep, that. :wink:
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In my humble opinion, this is all part of the game and it is up to the population of the node to find a way to deal with the troublesome ruler. Though in a military node it could be hard to get rid of a bad ruler if they happen to be the best PvPer there and keep winning each month. But then it may just be best to vote with your feet as others have said.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • SarevokSarevok Member
    Can we assassinate the mayor so the node crumbles to pieces and is forced in to re-election? Thinking espionage tactics here for my future targets...I mean. Frands.
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wouldn't be surprised if we had some kind of councils in the game.
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    I think this came up in a Live Stream, and Steven pretty much said you'd have to wait til the next selection round which is scheduled to be monthly at this point in time.

yes thats what has been said about the subject and it was mentioned "you have to be a good mayor and do your job if you want to be mayor again and get elected"
    im not negative but ive seen enough to know it WILL happen...
    but more importantly, im upset about the military node mayor.
    it says the "last player standing in arena like event becomes mayor"
    you know what this concept seems to me ?
    like having 'tormund giantsbane' from the game of thrones to sit on the iron throne.
    a tough fighter does not make a good leader by default!

at the same time, i am very happy with how divine node mayor is elected.

caedwyn wrote: »

yes thats what has been said about the subject and it was mentioned "you have to be a good mayor and do your job if you want to be mayor again and get elected"
    like having 'tormund giantsbane' from the game of thrones to sit on the iron throne.

So then the wise and popular leader of a military node gets a dozen of his stoutest followers to join him. They keep him healed and protected while systematically slaughtering all those who seek the position. Once the field is empty of everyone but the leader and his gang, they surrender or commit suicide or kill each other or whatever is needed to eliminate them from the competition. That ensures that their leader takes charge.

This method means that the mayor is not necessarily the best warrior, but rather the person who can gather and coordinate the most powerful and loyal comrades. Which is perfect for that kind of node.

And if his followers turn on him instead, well, that’s just awesome. And not unexpected in a military dictatorship. :D

Hhak63P.png
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    atama wrote: »

So then the wise and popular leader of a military node gets a dozen of his stoutest followers to join him. They keep him healed and protected while systematically slaughtering all those who seek the position. Once the field is empty of everyone but the leader and his gang, they surrender or commit suicide or kill each other or whatever is needed to eliminate them from the competition. That ensures that their leader takes charge.

This method means that the mayor is not necessarily the best warrior, but rather the person who can gather and coordinate the most powerful and loyal comrades. Which is perfect for that kind of node.

And if his followers turn on him instead, well, that’s just awesome. And not unexpected in a military dictatorship. :D

but then only the person with connections will become mayor, so a certain guild can control that node
    we had that happening in another game where a hero was elected and stood there for 2 whole years.
    it breaks and poisons the small community from within I think.

but that's just my feeling.
    edited May 2019
    I just realised something.... Couldnt someone be a practical Overlord of a military node?
    IS said, that military nodes held a martial competition or something to determine the leader.
    Couldnt that lead to someone who is extremely geared and skilled to supress anyone else in the node, and then do whatever they want?
    Intrepid should implement something to counteract in such a situation.

On another hand, it would be really cool, if there was a rebellion inside of the node and they then worked together with other nodes overthrowing the government (thinking of Vol'jins Rebellion in WoW)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Also remember people can change their citizenship. So if you are a really crappy mayor and still have a support structure to keep you there, if everyone else leaves for your competition you will be getting almost no taxes and you will be supplying reinforcements for cities around you to take you down.

If your node is just a small town no one might care and you might stay in power, if its a city or metropolis and your abusing your citizenship your city will become a ghost town and a target.

edited May 2019
    If the leader of a military node is a tyrant and bad for the population, but stays in power, the solution is for the population to move; no taxes, no businesses, no crafters, with just a few supporters left and the node will de-level.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• grisugrisu Member
    Tl.dr.: Long winded point. Badly run nodes inevitably crumble naturally.

Well lets assume for a moment that one guy does everything from above. He somehow monopolizes the major position and does nothing to advance it or does a pisspoor job.
    It is still at least a city level node so it will stand in the way of another node at some point (or not but thats further down) since its a weak node with no extra defenses it should fall to a siege. Problem solved.
    Somehow there are a shitton of people that love this specific node for whatever reason and withstand the siege of an equal node.
    There should be a conflict of interest with the metropolis node that needs a well run node so that metropolis node mobilzes against it too. -problem solved.
    Lets say there is no conflic on a node level, but that node for whatever reason is really relevant and there is no possible node location nearby to replace the tyranny node. ( this is really far fetched. There should always be several zones adjucant that can replace any given node aka. Problem solved. For the sake of worst possible scenario ill continue)
    So you cant replace it with an equally well placed new city and the next zone is really inconviniently placed.(which is still only one zone at worst mind you)
    Now it becomes a mentality and balancing act.
    What weights more, a node that gives none to only bare minimun services from being run badly, but has extremely (one zone maximum otherwise another zone and node possibility would be even better) short travel times to whatever makes this node so valuable. Or a new node with good services but worse travel times.
    The only flaw in all this is we do not know the actuall zone borders so it might take some time to find the new zones to establish camps, but the way it all is set up there should always be camps surrounding cities through natural quest and task generation. They send you out far enough into the wild.

I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    atama wrote: »

but then only the person with connections will become mayor, so a certain guild can control that node
    we had that happening in another game where a hero was elected and stood there for 2 whole years.
    it breaks and poisons the small community from within I think.

but that's just my feeling.
    That’s how politics function in real life and it seems to work okay. I think your concerns are misplaced.

Hhak63P.png
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dont think they need to put anything in place, either people will either will leave the node for another or the node will decay and be attacked and destroyed. All of this an intentional life cycle of the nodes.
  • Well think I would assinated my mayor just for fun especially if for some reason we did not agree on some issues. Which you will always find some that disagrees with him so..........
  • Oddly enough this thread just gave me so much life. I'm excited for the messy drama that could potentially take place in this game.
  • So I guess if there is a BAD mayor then it is working as intended cause now we have to deal with the fun job of ousting him out office. Did not see that comming. Thank you for all your posts
  • So guessing by the comments of the last live stream everytime a mayor getselected a node will get destroyed. Really interested how this is going to play out. I mean who is not going to want to destroy their own node after losing an election.

Really could use in game gold to pay people to destroy their own node just to have another chance to fly on the dragon mount.

I mean who would not wnat to fight for the dragon mount
    pickadaisy wrote: »
    Oddly enough this thread just gave me so much life. I'm excited for the messy drama that could potentially take place in this game.
    I hear you.
    pickadaisy wrote: »
    Oddly enough this thread just gave me so much life. I'm excited for the messy drama that could potentially take place in this game.

"Messy drama" also known as "assassination attempts all over the city" ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif