Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do you prefer mmorpgs in which:

georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
It is required to spend a looooot of time to improve your character and reach high lv
or
you have 15 alts which you can lv up to top within a week or 2?

Personally I like mmorpgs in which abilities, gear, completed quests, "artisan profession" and levels on a character take dedication and months to achieve.
I like it when after reaching high levels you get start mid way (mid level) a second class on the same character and switch between the classes at an NPC, usually by completing a lengthy and engaging/challenging quest

I hate mmorpgs in which players have an @accountname with 15 characters, each one for different function:
Pve dps class
Pve tank class
Pvp dps class
Pvp tank class
Farm A dungeon class
Farm B zone class
Crafter

(I may come off as hardcore but the reality is that I dont have as much time as before for mmorpg. Still I want a deep and challenging game)

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like when games require dedication to a single characters, my altoholic tendencies come when a game doesn't offer enough to do on a single character to keep me occupied.
    On the reverse side, I tend to spend most of my time playing solo so I like to be self sufficient so I always end up having alts with a variety of crafting options. Based on what we know about crafting for AoC that could be a difficult and time consuming process to achieve.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Basically we're referring to whether the FFXIV style of having all classes accessible on a single character, vs the more traditional style of a single class per character. I know a lot of people love the fact that in FFXIV you can have every class unlocked on a single character, but it actually causes more problems than it solves. Yes it does make it faster and easier to swap to different classes on the fly (a single button press compared to logging out and back in again). And yes, it means you only have to do the main storyline once. The problem is that while levelling your first class, the majority of the exp you get is from the main storyline. Take that away and you are left with very boring repetitive content that is a lot slower to level through. I'd rather go through the main storyline multiple times than have to resort to doing tedious repetitive content over and over to level up each class.

The only other game I've played that had all classes accessible on a single character was Runescape, which is an entirely different beast. For one thing, 90% of the levelling in that game comes from grinding. You wanna level up woodcutting? Be prepared to chop down the same patch of trees for hours to get enough exp to move to the harder-to-cut trees and do it all again. It was much more convenient having everything on a single character. The other thing about Runescape is that the quests in that game often required you to use multiple crafting and combat skills to complete the quest. These quests are only possible because you can level up every skill on a single character.

Which do I prefer? In theory I like the idea of having every skill on a single character, but if that means having to grind my way up, then absolutely no thanks.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
    edited May 2019
    Basically we're referring to whether the FFXIV style of having all classes accessible on a single character, vs the more traditional style of a single class per character. I know a lot of people love the fact that in FFXIV you can have every class unlocked on a single character, but it actually causes more problems than it solves. Yes it does make it faster and easier to swap to different classes on the fly (a single button press compared to logging out and back in again). And yes, it means you only have to do the main storyline once. The problem is that while levelling your first class, the majority of the exp you get is from the main storyline. Take that away and you are left with very boring repetitive content that is a lot slower to level through. I'd rather go through the main storyline multiple times than have to resort to doing tedious repetitive content over and over to level up each class.

The only other game I've played that had all classes accessible on a single character was Runescape, which is an entirely different beast. For one thing, 90% of the levelling in that game comes from grinding. You wanna level up woodcutting? Be prepared to chop down the same patch of trees for hours to get enough exp to move to the harder-to-cut trees and do it all again. It was much more convenient having everything on a single character. The other thing about Runescape is that the quests in that game often required you to use multiple crafting and combat skills to complete the quest. These quests are only possible because you can level up every skill on a single character.

Which do I prefer? In theory I like the idea of having every skill on a single character, but if that means having to grind my way up, then absolutely no thanks.

My friend the model I was refering to is non of these two games. Ff14 had too few classes and the implementation of this idea in that game made it boring.
    AoC has noumerous classes, so 1 character with 2 classes would be nice instead
    Of the 64 classes combos in AoC only the 8 primary will matter from a character standpoint, the secondary class can be changed after the fact, though it may take a fair bit of work to change it.
    k2U15J3.png
  • arzosah wrote: »
    Of the 64 classes combos in AoC only the 8 primary will matter from a character standpoint, the secondary class can be changed after the fact, though it may take a fair bit of work to change it.

I like it.
    Yep I like AoC
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm a one character kind of fella.

Just the loyal guy that I am, I tend to put a bulk of, if not all my time, into a single character. I think this means my choices have more weight, my decisions come with more consequence and to me, more fun to be had.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

My friend the model I was refering to is non of these two games. Ff14 had too few classes and the implementation of this idea in that game made it boring.
    AoC has noumerous classes, so 1 character with 2 classes would be nice instead

*shrugs* I'm not going to lie that the implementation of the system in FFXIV was very poor and short-sighted, but I can't think of a single game that has managed to pull off the "all classes in one character" style and wasn't incredibly grindy because of it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    *shrugs* I'm not going to lie that the implementation of the system in FFXIV was very poor and short-sighted, but I can't think of a single game that has managed to pull off the "all classes in one character" style and wasn't incredibly grindy because of it.

I would rather level 8 characters through the main story line instead of leveling up one through the main story and the other 7 through super boring mob grinding in a deep dungeon even if it takes longer.
    k2U15J3.png
    arzosah wrote: »

I would rather level 8 characters through the main story line instead of leveling up one through the main story and the other 7 through super boring mob grinding in a deep dungeon even if it takes longer.

So would I. Unfortunately that isn't an option in FFXIV.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the MMORPG where you have to invest nearly everything into one character.
    Hell, if it was possible, I would even preferr to only have one character at all xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
    damokles wrote: »
    I like the MMORPG where you have to invest nearly everything into one character.
    Hell, if it was possible, I would even preferr to only have one character at all xD

I think only having one character helps with the immersion into your character, but I do like my mules.
    k2U15J3.png
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love alts and I am a casual player, but I enjoy longer journeys more than the end result. It's about the journey, not the destination, right?
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
    azathoth wrote: »
    I love alts and I am a casual player, but I enjoy longer journeys more than the end result. It's about the journey, not the destination, right?

Depends on the journey and the destination haha.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like focussing on one character so I hope reaching max lvl takes months :P
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • I usually play 2 characters side by side. One with my SO and the other as my solo for when they aren't on, but I would rather have a game where I have to work a little bit to level them instead of being able to cap out super fast. That gets boring when you can just rush through a game and have 15 alts leveled pretty fast.
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    yea i also like it to be interesting and fair enough to be played with 1 character
    i HATE when people bring alts to vote for themselves or kill it or use it as bait or close a road with wagon etc etc...
    in archeage which this problem turned the game to be called: alt-age
    and it ruins the purpose of choosing sides and with it the consequences because they can always make a new character and be a spy and pirate and just anything...

the rpg games these days are very keen on stating what people want from them "choices have consequences"
    so i think an MMORPG should also take that into account.
  • noemadnoemad Member
    Hi my name is Noemad and I'm an altaholic. Personally I like having alts. Lots of alts. I have all the alts. While I usually have a main that I spend most of my time on I like having other characters to play. I get to try other classes and play-styles and it helps me avoid burning out on my main character. Plus if there are class stories ala SWTOR then I have to play them all. One of the big things for me in an MMO is the story. Not just the story of the world my character inhabits but also the story of my character. If there are different class stories then, to me, they might as well be Lays potato chips. I can't play just one. I'll even play a class I'm not that wild about if the story is good. No story left behind. I think you know what I'm saying. :D
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I honestly love to just play the one character and honestly, you should never be finished developing that character. In my opinion, it should take months to level and yet more time to explore all of the options through gearing, leveling artisan skills, reputation grinding, other forms of horizontal progression this is something that should never be completed there should always be something to strive for.

I know many want it all within a week and consider anything longer to be a grind in their eyes, sadly I think many miss the point of MMO's that feel this way.

I do have alts though used to level artisan skills and act as mules to store excess gear and resources yet the time played on them is a small fraction of my time played on my main.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I vote for option c!

I am an altoholic who gives not one toss about the end game, I'd by far rather have an enjoyable journey and can achieve better results for myself when I have several options open.
    varkun wrote: »
    I honestly love to just play the one character and honestly, you should never be finished developing that character. In my opinion, it should take months to level and yet more time to explore all of the options through gearing, leveling artisan skills, reputation grinding, other forms of horizontal progression this is something that should never be completed there should always be something to strive for.

I know many want it all within a week and consider anything longer to be a grind in their eyes, sadly I think many miss the point of MMO's that feel this way.

I do have alts though used to level artisan skills and act as mules to store excess gear and resources yet the time played on them is a small fraction of my time played on my main.

I do not believe a leveling process should be long just for the sake of it. The specific time it takes to level doesn't concern me too much as long as the leveling up serves a purpose. In my opinion, the leveling process has 3 objectives:

1. Story progression
    2. Character progression
    3. Teaching players how to play

When it comes to Story and Character progression, it really depends on the scope of the story, but needlessly dragging out progression does not necessarily benefit the game. It's like those annoying filler episodes you get in a lot of long-running anime shows. Naruto Shippuden has 500 episodes, and 213 of those are filler. That's 43% of the episodes that have no relevance to the storyline or character progression.

After that, we have teaching the players how to play. This of course is variable, as mmorpg veterans will naturally pick up the mechanics faster than newer players, so there's a balancing act here. You need to make the leveling long enough to give the newer players time to develop their skills, but not too long otherwise the more experienced players get bored.

Now, I don't care if the leveling process only takes 1 week or several months as long as all 3 of the objectives are met. One of the reasons why I think the leveling system in WoW needs a complete revamp is because it fails at all 3 objectives. It doesn't prepare players at all for end-game content, the story is impossible to follow because of how disjointed the leveling through the zones is, and as for character progression, between levels 100-120 your character gains no new abilities, no new talents and because of the world scaling, doesn't appear to get any stronger at all during that time.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • something inbetween. Especialy with all the classes they have, people will proberly like to try some different onces
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know that Steven has said several times that AOC is as much about the journey of getting to max level and being able to undertake that journey how you desire. The term endgame is one they do not like to use but we as MMO players have assigned to the max level pvp/pve/raid content. A better way to put it would be your character's journey and my hope is that my character's journey can continue for many years.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Leveling characters should take weeks or months; not days. Ashes is supposed to be around a month and a half to max.
    And it's all about roleplaying the character; not racing to max character level.
    If the MMORPG is good, I should want to have a bunch of alts anyway because I will want to play a variety of roles - different genders, different, races, different primary archetypes, etc.

I don't really want just one character switching archetypes just as I wouldn't want Frodo switching from being a Rogue to being an Archwizard and from Archwizard to being a Ranger.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think with Ashes your character will be able to level in adventuring, crafting, and several different societies. There should be enough to keep a person occupied for months, if not years, on one toon. Since there is no "end game" per se, I hope it takes a long time to reach max. I'm a journey person, and I believe there will be many events that pop to keep us from boredom.
    I also love alts as I can get a feel for what the different classes/races offer. I'm going to try really hard to keep the alts to just a few; but on the other hand, I would like to be so involved with my main, that I won't feel the need for an alt; though this hasn't happened in any game yet.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• I personally prefer the route AoC is currently going for.
    You'll have a choice of main class and then choose a preferable specialization for it.

Having 1-3 main classes to play with less than 6 months to gear one char close to max would be my preference.
    U're giving a choice between two extremes and avoiding the golden mean.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • noemadnoemad Member
    genna wrote: »
    I vote for option c!

I am an altoholic who gives not one toss about the end game, I'd by far rather have an enjoyable journey and can achieve better results for myself when I have several options open.

I agree with you on that. I've said before that I don't care about the end game. For me the journey my character is on as he\she explores the world is the important thing. I've also said that I don't care if my characters ever hit max level. I'm not much into raiding. Been there and done that. I'd be perfectly happy if there was ever a game that added new content faster than I could play thru it so I never had to hit max level and say "So what now?". Because let's face it in most MMOs the endgame is raiding, more raiding and finally, to top it off, even more raiding in an endless grindy pursuit of phat lootz for the sole purpose of gearing up for the next tier of raids. I'd rather have more world to explore. It's usually at the point I start playing my alts more and more.