Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mounting Corrupt Animals

sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I had a weird thought last night when I was thinking about catching wild hippogryphs and taming them. Can we catch corrupt animals and tame them? Can we catch corrupt animals and take them to a religious node to pray the corruption away then tame them? Can we mount corrupt animals and just let them continue to be corrupt?
fNX2ISa.png

Comments

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Cleansing animals to make them pets or mounts is something that seems cool. I like the idea. I don’t know if that makes sense from the story though, or if that’s anything IS would be interested in supporting. Maybe there is a fear that it would undercut the breeding market.

Hhak63P.png
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What a weird and interesting thought.
    Would a corrupt player be able to tame a corrupt beast? or only a corrupt player could tame one? and when the corrupt player loses corruption will the beast disappear or die?
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea but I have to agree with atama
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Why would it not makes sense to the story? We still don't know if we're supposed to kill or save the monsters, and we don't know anything about the Religious Nodes. We know that as the nodes grow they will influence the monsters around them. As we level up so do the monsters, but what if the religious node is different? What if the monsters get weaker until we can convert them and they become nice. Then they could give us some lore, like,

"Thank you for freeing me! I feel like I just woke up from a deep slumber. Please help me free my family and I will give you a great reward. Before I was corrupted I was a wealthy man. My family lives over there, beyond the influence of the religious node. Help me bring them here and I will tell you where I hid my treasure."

Then you go on a journey with the former monster and he tells you of life before the fall. If you can uncorrupt people then maybe you can uncorrupt animals too. Dunno.

It won't undercut the market 'cause it's part of it.
    fNX2ISa.png

elf wrote: »
    What a weird and interesting thought.
    Would a corrupt player be able to tame a corrupt beast? or only a corrupt player could tame one? and when the corrupt player loses corruption will the beast disappear or die?

That's interesting. That would give people a reason to become corrupt. Hmm....
    fNX2ISa.png

• burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    Interesting idea, but lore-wise I guess it would partially depend on what cleanses corruption other than death. If its through religious nodes, whether it's the intent and mindful thought of asking the God to be cleansed or just the proximity to the house of that God that cleanses. If it's the former, it could be explained away that most of these creatures dont have the self awareness required to beg a god for salvation.
    edited May 2019
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Why would it not makes sense to the story? We still don't know if we're supposed to kill or save the monsters, and we don't know anything about the Religious Nodes. We know that as the nodes grow they will influence the monsters around them. As we level up so do the monsters, but what if the religious node is different? What if the monsters get weaker until we can convert them and they become nice. Then they could give us some lore, like,
    That’s my point. We don’t know. So it might conflict with the story. I didn’t say it definitely would.

I also said that if it doesn’t conflict with anything else (in regards to lore or systems) it would be pretty cool.

Hhak63P.png
  • Honestly instead of capturing and taming wild adult animals, corrupted or no, I think we should find their eggs or very young versions and have to raise them and if you want to get into animal husbandry you have to go out and collect and raise your herd first. And you can have the young or un-hatched just not be corrupted or not fully corrupted and thus be able to cleanse or not even have to worry about it.
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited May 2019
    Double post
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited May 2019
    If animals can be cleansed by a religious node, why cant players? Why is corryption a problem?Sounds like a lore flaw if it just needs the intervention of some prayer.

Edit:Somehow the edit turned into a doublepost. hmm .
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ewww sounds like that old double post bug has reared it's ugly head
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

Now the question is, can we tame a double post bug? :smile:
    fNX2ISa.png

• caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited May 2019
    mounting corrupt animals?
    DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO KHAL DROGO?
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am not sure if allowing corrupt players to tame corrupt animals is a good idea. The corruption is supposed to be a deterrent to players, if there is a good reason to gain corruption it is going to have the opposite effect.

I like the idea of being able to do this if it fits within the lore, but maybe only at very high level of taming skill.
  • Mounting corrupt animals...? Sorry not my kind of kink.
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
    voidshadow wrote: »
    Mounting corrupt animals...? Sorry not my kind of kink.

It’s just taxidermy.

FORBIDDEN TAXIDERMY...

Hhak63P.png