Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Titles

DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hello everyone!
You know, i sometimes really enjoy korean and chinese webnovels and there are some, where they mention a pretty unique titel-system.
In this system, you can obtain boni (stats, bonus exp, extra running speed etc) from obtaining and equipping titles. And... I just remembered that AION once had such a system and that was REALLY cool! Like the ", the Patient", where you had to run around ca. 3 different zones and function as a delivery agent. xD

What do you think of this? Would something like this fit into AoC?
a6XEiIf.gif

Comments

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Archeage had this for the Pirate faction titles.

People bitched about it.

I personally think it's a cool idea to get a VERY minor buff or status from a title. Gives alot of depth to the game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • I don't think you should get benefits from titles, it encourages elitism when doing content and you will already have that based on morphs and things.

Don't need someone being like "Oh you didn't earn that title for that .01% speed buff, you can't raid this dungeon har har."
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think you should get benefits from titles, it encourages elitism when doing content and you will already have that based on morphs and things.

Don't need someone being like "Oh you didn't earn that title for that .01% speed buff, you can't raid this dungeon har har."

But it would also empower people who want to run a very, VERY xD, specific build.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would rather see titles as a cosmetic aspect of the game. I think gaining a small buff from a title would be interesting, but I think the system would just result in everyone one running around with the same title that gives them that little advantage to damage output.
    k2U15J3.png
    arzosah wrote: »
    I would rather see titles as a cosmetic aspect of the game. I think gaining a small buff from a title would be interesting, but I think the system would just result in everyone one running around with the same title that gives them that little advantage to damage output.

Well I always ran around with my ", the Patient" title in AION
    Gave me extra evasion ;D

All the boni where always really minuscule (like +4 evasion or +5 HP and MP regen), but it was always nice to have them ;D

Here are some more examples that i actually got, back in the day xD:

Tree Hugger - Accuracy +4
    Top Expert - Evasion +6, Physical Def +10, Magic Resist +10
    Straw For Brains - Parry +5
    Mabanghtas Envoy - Physical Def +4, Block +8
    Bottled Lightning - Movement Speed +8% (That was a real pain to get xD)
    Animal Lover - Mana +20 (You had to avenge the pet pig of someone, leading to you eradication tons of kobolds and their cooks xD)
    Arbolus Anointed - Speed +3%, Crit Strike +3, Magic Boost +8
    Bloodsworn - HP +36, Physical Def +15, Block +12,
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    karthos wrote: »
    Archeage had this for the Pirate faction titles.

People bitched about it.

I personally think it's a cool idea to get a VERY minor buff or status from a title. Gives alot of depth to the game.

In Archeage there were bonuses for the majority of the titles not just pirate ones. I dont think any of them gave a huge advantage and although some gave a better buff than others the better ones were more difficult to get and required a certain amount of cost/effort to gain them especially the pirate titles that people moaned about. People like to complain about things.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder if I could get a pope title?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    nagash wrote: »

", the Pope" - NPC relations +15
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The Pope had to be alive though
    Aq0KG2f.png

ok then how about a saint or a martyr
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace

Just call yourself the Anti-Pope! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
    damokles wrote: »

But I like being a pope
    nJ0vUSm.gif

damokles wrote: »

But I like being a pope

Nagash, you are a walking skelleton... I am sorry but you have to prioritize and let the normal pope title go.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think if they were to grant bonuses from titles and they were low key as Karthos mentioned and required specific quest to complete, as opposed to 'first', that wouldn't be bad. I don't think all titles should have bonuses attached though, unless titles will be limited.

I do think this will encourage everyone to seek out and obtain the titles though, so it would take away some originality to the very specific builds.

In general I am against pointless buffers. I could see a title being worn like a piece of armor though.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • I think I've said this before somewhere, but I'd really like a title system representing something like BDO has. I really like collectibles in any game. Titles being a huge one for MMOs. Not sure about the extra bonuses though. I personally think it takes the freedom out of which title you want to display, as you'll always try to optimize your build.

Another option would be to separate the active effect and display title. In which case I wouldn't care if it had bonuses, as everybody has access to the same bonuses by putting in some extra effort.
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    I want to be a Baron :#
    giphy.gif
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Nah I don't think titles should have stats or boosts associated with them.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think titles work best as a method of bragging rights for completing a difficult achievement
    k2U15J3.png
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I’m all for titles but going to agree with others, no stats tied to them. I love titles from a RP stance and it’s fun to have that one title that makes your name perfect!
  • AltodorAltodor Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Titles giving stats just doesnt make any sense to me. Like literal sense. A title giving stats. Unless it was a magical title that the gods blessed you with.
    F9bjSGM.png
  • altyoraltyor Member
    Titles are always fun, but if they give you stats it should only be in specific, lore-friendly ways with minimal day to day impact within the game.

Using the Pope example above, maybe the head of the Religion node has a title like Pope and when defending the node from attackers they receive a bonus to healing (or buffs, or damage resistance, etc.). Meanwhile the leader of the combat node gets a bonus to damage, or movement or something similar, and so forth for each node type. Since it's an event where the bonus is taking effect the players going into the event can plan for it.

Faction based titles could also give small buffs against the opposing faction NPCs as long as influence isn't easily farmable, and both sides are equally represented in the world. It would push people with similar choices of factions in the beginning of the game to stick together and form sub-groups within the overarching nodes, and could add another layer of immersion.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @altodor, it is likely religious nodes and religion-specific progressions will have some titles associated with them. If these titles grant a bonus because one of Verra's gods granted them the title, but no other titles granted bonuses, it would encourage everyone to achieve some of the religious-oriented titles. Which, depending on how much of the Lore/Campaign in Ashes is god-oriented, could be a good thing.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I somehow interpose the L for an i everytime I read this topic’s subject...

Virtue is the only good.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tugowar wrote: »
    I somehow interpose the L for an i everytime I read this topic’s subject...

Ti ties? Yes, tying something with titanium would certainly be very secure. I like the way your mind works!

Hhak63P.png
  • altodor wrote: »
    Titles giving stats just doesnt make any sense to me. Like literal sense. A title giving stats. Unless it was a magical title that the gods blessed you with.
    @altodor I only would appreciate title on certain conditions myself. But you could also see that the title rewards you the stats for the accomplishment of getting the title in the first place, not for the title itself.

Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
    edited May 2019
    Another idea for titles:
    "***-slayer" a title that you recieve only after killing a huge number of a certain mob on your own and an amount of epic mobs of the same category. (wolfslayer, shadowcatslayer, dragonslayer, banditslayer etc)
    The title in turn would then give a flat 5% damage buff against this certain creature or you recieve more exp from them if equipped. (The effect could of course change)

This could reward players that challenge themselves alone against the wilderness.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • edited May 2019
    Rewards for title achievements, yeah, why not?
    Cosmetic rewards sure, if auras are a thing, why not mutated skill graphics, there's no advantage in-game to this.

As to STAT adjusting titles?

Really, why not?
    Along with your [make title active/show title] button, also have an [active - on/off] button next to the titles earned.

Then offset any stat boons with banes!!!

If you want to repeat the same thing 100,000 times just so you can be called 'the fancy' great.
    You can have it and choose to show the title.
    Or maybe you won't show the title, but you'll activate the boon/banes, you earned it after all.

So if you want to activate 'the Fancy' and have an adjustment of +.5 to outgoing healing, then it'll also cost you -.5 against all pirates.

(Because they're fancier than you)
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don’t want titles with stats. I don’t want to equip a great-sounding title that I earned which gives lame or useless stats to my build, or feel forced to use a title that sounds horrible but is optimal for my character. They should never have anything to do with each other.

Hhak63P.png
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • LoBaneLoBane Member
    Title that don’t have bonuses but can be activated but not displayed above your character unless you want.
    Each relevant title has an animation that is applied to the character when activated.
    Example: Doing a quest to train a certain type of fighting/martial arts style.(Irish boxing etc)
    Or a weird one where you earn a title that if you activate it..instead of backing up normally..you moonwalk. 🙃
    Maybe a title that adds a slight limp to your character’s step. Old wound type thing.
    Another example is picking some titles that are related to what your character does in random order while idle.(Fart, burp, waving at random people, character start arguing with themselves etc)

Well those are just a few examples but the main thing is that it would add more personality to your character. As well story because you earned the style and/or “issue” the character displays.

Making a title system like this will also help with creating more unique NPCs. If the title system is in depth enough.