Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A Boring Post About Currency

Hi, did someone has the same inconsequential question as me about what type of ingame-currency AOC will be using?
Will it be the old golden, silver, cooper pieces/coins
Maybe it could be golden, silver and cooper phoenix
If embers where not already in use, the idea of use golden, silver and cooper embers is nice...
Maybe its not going to be separate and it will have only one name like phoenix, yules, mikas, kires, etc etc etc (im just throwing random words for that last point)
Hope that there will be special currency that can only be used in certain cases for special items...
:smiley:
giphy.gif

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have not as of last information I have seen given a currency name. This was discussed a long while back and they jokingly said "pygmy whales." They will have a lore specific reason for it to be sure. Embers most likely will not be it since that has been reserved for their cosmetic shop currency. Another confirmation we had long ago is that currency will not have weight, unlike everything else in game. This was in response to someone asking if players could loot currency off of other players. (the answer was no)
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    the currency will probably be "sandals"
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im happy with ye old gold pieces.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Knuts -> Sickles -> Galleons

29 Knuts = 1 Sickle
    17 Sickles = 1 Galleon
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »

29 Knuts = 1 Sickle
    17 Sickles = 1 Galleon

Sounds simple to me. I’m sure I can quickly convert 12 Galleons and 8 Sickles into Knuts in my head when needed.

:neutral:

Hhak63P.png
    atama wrote: »

29 Knuts = 1 Sickle
    17 Sickles = 1 Galleon

Sounds simple to me. I’m sure I can quickly convert 12 Galleons and 8 Sickles into Knuts in my head when needed.

:neutral:

Never lived in a wizarding community then.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • While I'm sure it will be some version the the old copper, silver, gold coin type I kind of wish they'd do a barter system at least until cities start popping up and civilization advances enough to make coins. It would be fun to work from a barter system into a money system set by cities and metropolises.
    While I'm sure it will be some version the the old copper, silver, gold coin type I kind of wish they'd do a barter system at least until cities start popping up and civilization advances enough to make coins. It would be fun to work from a barter system into a money system set by cities and metropolises.

It would be really cool to have a haggling system actually.
    Like, the higher your node progress points are, the better the prices ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • shothishothi Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well the units of weight is in pygmy whales so we can only guess what the currency will be called.

I for one like the idea of trading in knuts.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, can see the jokes already. "Does your online waifu keep your knuts in her purse?" Not to mention the 500 variations of characters named "Deez Knuts"
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Any chance we can get an easter egg from HHGttG?

"In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but none of them count. The Altarian Dollar has recently collapsed, the Flainian Pobble Bead is only exchangeable for other Flainian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problems. The exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is simple enough, but since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also the product of a deranged imagination."
    owuEH4S.png
  • crownofthornscrownofthorns Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    OhCHgZZ.png
    CROWN- MMORPG player & fan since 1995.
  • grisugrisu Member
    We will have a player run economy so I would hope it's some made up currency.
    I HATE it when games sell 1 unit of copper bar for 32 copper, a unit of silver bar for 50 copper and a slushy gold bar for 10 silver.
    Coins made of pure metal worth more than a whole bar of the same. Screw that.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • They have not as of last information I have seen given a currency name. This was discussed a long while back and they jokingly said "pygmy whales." They will have a lore specific reason for it to be sure. Embers most likely will not be it since that has been reserved for their cosmetic shop currency. Another confirmation we had long ago is that currency will not have weight, unlike everything else in game. This was in response to someone asking if players could loot currency off of other players. (the answer was no)

@unknownsystemerror Well it's good to know that currency will not have weight - does that also mean you can have like 200 Golds without any weight restriction? Regarding looting people, once i win a 1 v 1 combat in the open world, what kind of loot would the dead opponent drop?
    signature.png
  • @kayra If the player is not corrupted they drop some raw resources like ore and wood and stuff if they had any.

If the player is corrupted they have a chance to drop gear and items depending on their corruption level.

And yes you can have any number of currency (gold in your example) without weight if you are talking about gold coins. If it is raw gold ore that will probably have weight as it is a resource not currency.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    grisu wrote: »
    We will have a player run economy so I would hope it's some made up currency.
    I HATE it when games sell 1 unit of copper bar for 32 copper, a unit of silver bar for 50 copper and a slushy gold bar for 10 silver.
    Coins made of pure metal worth more than a whole bar of the same. Screw that.

This is one point that I always found somewhat annoying gold bars being worth coppers to sell kind of stupid IMO.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I hope it to be something previously unheard.
    Sick of gold silver and copper everywhere...
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
    Do you remember the time when you could directly pay with ectoplasma in GW1?
    I once payed my best friend a loan in ecto so she could buy a guild hall, i want that in AoC. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I only want one currency system, not every time you turn around it's a different type of currency to buy something in game.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do you remember the time when you could directly pay with ectoplasma in GW1?
    I once payed my best friend a loan in ecto so she could buy a guild hall, i want that in AoC. ;)

Yes, I do remember the trade in ectoplasm became a true defacto currency.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • sylsyl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be interesting to see some Ashes jargon being used for currency names. Not the good 'ol Platinum, Gold, Silver and Copper.
    forum_sig2.png
    Come take a look at ashesofcreation.wiki!
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A nice gold and time sink would be in exchange rates, imo. Have different nodes issue different currencies and the governors set it up, Gold farmers will be required to hoard their money to not deflate its value or be forced to exchange it for much less value for a currency that is trusted.