Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Keep an eye on Classic WoW

GloryGlory Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
For better or for worse Blizzard is pushing forward with Classic. This version of the game takes a lot of the convenience factors out of the game, slows the pace of killing and leveling, and increase leveling time.

I'm not sure whether the game will be a success or a bust. However it is getting initial attention. So I think it would be beneficial to just watch Classic and use it to help determine what the elusive mmo community is looking for.

Comments

• GloryGlory Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I should also note that I am well aware that Ashes is "it's own game" but I still think it's worth looking at competitors and the market share.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is all just opinion and hyperbole at this point. I myself am betting that Classic is a huge dumpster fire at around the 6 month mark. The great thing about nostalgia is that it is a recollection of the past, but you don't have to deal with those issues. People very quickly realize that their memories don't match what the actual experience is today. They will get a bump from the curious, and just as quickly it will peter out to a whimper. There will be merges, then closures, then the inevitable "We tried it, but it just didn't make money!"
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • ShoklenShoklen Member
    Classic EQ2 servers have done well. Some people want to get away from the bloated mess these 15+ year old mmos have become.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While I did play vanilla wow and enjoyed it I have no desire to go back there but will be interesting to see how it is received and its longevity.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
    edited May 2019
    Mmorpgs should not be treated as shooters or Iron Mans helmet.
    They should be beautiful and natural.

Furthermore, leveling up fast is bad gaming design. "The game starts at 60lv" mentality is bad
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im going to play Classic WoW until The APOC tests begin again. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
    It is all just opinion and hyperbole at this point. I myself am betting that Classic is a huge dumpster fire at around the 6 month mark. The great thing about nostalgia is that it is a recollection of the past, but you don't have to deal with those issues. People very quickly realize that their memories don't match what the actual experience is today. They will get a bump from the curious, and just as quickly it will peter out to a whimper. There will be merges, then closures, then the inevitable "We tried it, but it just didn't make money!"

But at the 6 month mark, most people wil reach lvl 60! Thats where the second part of the fun begins! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LoL the fact that a 15 year old game is the biggest release of 2019 says enough about the genre.. all hopes on ashes bois :#
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
    shkevi wrote: »
    LoL the fact that a 15 year old game is the biggest release of 2019 says enough about the genre.. all hopes on ashes bois :#

Did you know that RUNESCAPE is one of the most popular MMORPGs nowadays?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • @damokles Honestly not suprised. I think the entire MMO community knows the drought we're currently in. Modern problems require modern ancient solutions ;)
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
    edited May 2019
    muridious wrote: »
    @damokles Honestly not suprised. I think the entire MMO community knows the drought we're currently in. Modern problems require modern ancient solutions ;)

The truly funny thing is that the old systems worked the best. Harder leveling, crafting etc. It only went townhill, after WoW gobbled up all the casuals, and then started to change (being bought mid Wrath of the Lich King by Activision), catering to the players instead.

That whole thing was crazy, i mean... do you see Taco Bell for example offer Fries or Burgers? No, because if you want burgers then go to another store, this is taco bell, you come here for the americanized mexican food not the burgers. Activision Blizzard took a good game, that worked with the harder leveling etc, and changed its concept, activating the floodgates. And with all the other games being near death, because of WoW lead to our current dilemma (i really hope for AoC to be our Jesus)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vanilla WoW did a lot of things right, but also a lot of things badly. I'm curious to see how well it works with upgraded technology. One of the biggest issues players faced in vanilla WoW was huge lag in cities and flightpoints.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    Vanilla WoW did a lot of things right, but also a lot of things badly. I'm curious to see how well it works with upgraded technology. One of the biggest issues players faced in vanilla WoW was huge lag in cities and flightpoints.

The closed beta players said that it was really smooth currently ;) but that was to be expected.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I look forward to introducing the next generation to MMOs via classic wow. I will definitely be playing.

#originalHWL
    #wowVanillaFriends&FamilyAlphaTester

Virtue is the only good.
  • Vanilla brings some difficulty while leveling, u have to keep an eye on ur surroundings or u will die.
    Youre also feeling stronger all the time as u gain new skills and get to be innovative with them as u level.

I personally think live is going under the bus after a year instead of live.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Furthermore, leveling up fast is bad gaming design. "The game starts at 60lv" mentality is bad

This. Just played a Warrior to level 20 and it is true - Blizz hands out Epics like they are Pez candies. Here's the abomination.

I say that because there was no sense of achievement, no accomplishment, just entitlement. The character doesn't look like a starting character, it looks like it is in a raiding guild and replacing BiS with raid gear. Shear lunacy.

Intrepid Studios - Please Do Not Allow This To Happen in AoC!
    owuEH4S.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have reservations. I played WoW in vanilla; heck I even played it in beta. One thing to remember about WoW that helped it be successful early on is the mod community. Kind of like your typical Bethesda game, it needed mods to make up for what it was lacking.

Much of how WoW developed from being vanilla to what it later became was because of mods. As the game got updated, it incorporated features of the most popular mods into the game. Over many years the game barely looked like it had originally.

So my enthusiasm is tempered. I like the idea, but having actually been there I remember what it was like. I predict one of two outcomes; either they embrace mods which will again evolve it out of its “vanilla” state eventually. Or they’ll insist on keeping it “old school” and people will find it’s not as playable as they expected. WoW probably wouldn’t have succeeded without the mods providing needed quality of life improvements.

Hhak63P.png
    morashtak wrote: »

This. Just played a Warrior to level 20 and it is true - Blizz hands out Epics like they are Pez candies. Here's the abomination.

I say that because there was no sense of achievement, no accomplishment, just entitlement. The character doesn't look like a starting character, it looks like it is in a raiding guild and replacing BiS with raid gear. Shear lunacy.

Intrepid Studios - Please Do Not Allow This To Happen in AoC!

Lvl20 with two epics.... my god what have they done?!? :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I wouldn't go that far personally. I've spoken about this in another thread, but as long as the levelling system fulfils the requirements of story progression, character progression and teaching players how to play, then it really doesn't matter how long or short it is.

What I don't get is the attitude that levelling should take months just for the sake of it. One of the reasons why I definitely won't be playing Classic WoW is because I know how much of a pointless slog the levelling in it is. The "game starts at level 60" mentality stems from the fact that the levelling process in WoW is absolutely pointless.

And I wanna be clear here. Levelling in Classic WoW isn't any harder than it is in modern WoW, it just takes longer. There's no challenge there, just a slog through the levels.

As for the Classic WoW relating to Ashes of Creation, while they are completely different games, they will both lack many of the conveniences we see in most modern mmorpgs. It will be interesting to see how the current generation (those who have only played games with those conveniences) will react. This will give us a good idea of how they will react to Ashes when it is (hopefully) released next year.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • RaytekuRayteku Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    morashtak wrote: »
    Just played a Warrior to level 20 and it is true - Blizz hands out Epics like they are Pez candies. !

I miss the days when rarity literally meant "RARITY". Nowadays in most MMO's rarity means "Power Level" I am all for epics dropping at all levels from starting to max but having a very low chance. Maybe include a luck stat that goes up with level or playtime so as your character ages he/she starts to passively keep an eye out for better gear, and thus has a better chance of high rarity gear dropping.

I hate purples or blues being the minimum drop for max level characters blue = Rare and Purple = Epic. You really should still have common and uncommon in your loot table at max level.

• noemadnoemad Member
    edited May 2019
    I remember when I started playing EQ2 right after launch. It took a while to level then but there was so much to do in the world (so much to explore, find and...kill :D ) that it didn't seem tedious or boring. Ok, waiting for some of the big bads to spawn at times could be a bit tedious (looking at you Bloodtalon) but that was part of the game and we could always find ways to amuse ourselves while waiting. And when you did hit the next level you were elated. Your friends were happy for you and even the random passerby would toss you a "Gratz". It meant something to advance to that next level. I miss that feeling. These days in most games you can hit max level way too fast. Leveling goes by so fast that you don't really see the world anymore, which is too bad because these are worlds that were created just for us to explore and adventure in. I think we should at least take the time to appreciate them and all the work that went into creating them.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Going back to an old lover is never as good as it sounds. We all know this yet cant help ourselves. We are convinced it will be just like it was in the beginning Exciting, Inspiring and sometimes dangerous, but it never it is. All you do is end up souring a good memory and wishing you hadn't.

Lets look to the future with Ashes, not try to relive a past that belongs in our memories.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neomir wrote: »
    Going back to an old lover is never as good as it sounds. We all know this yet cant help ourselves. We are convinced it will be just like it was in the beginning Exciting, Inspiring and sometimes dangerous, but it never it is. All you do is end up souring a good memory and wishing you hadn't.

Lets look to the future with Ashes, not try to relive a past that belongs in our memories.

What if that past lover is now a fitness model?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    karthos wrote: »
    neomir wrote: »

What if that past lover is now a fitness model?
    So now he/she has higher standards, an inflated ego, and will likely criticize any physical imperfections you have?

Sexy. :|

Hhak63P.png
  • More like a fitness model who cares about health and can make u sink in immersion of pleasure (vanilla) or a normal person who is shallow and only counting how many boyfriends she has (bfa)
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • WoW vanilla private servers have been popular past few years why Blizzard changed their mind relaunching the Classic version. I would predict that classic WoW will be okay, not just because fans getting nostalgia feel, but because there is a lot of WoW fans who have missed the vanilla and who really want to play that first version too. Classic fanbase is quite wide, and because of that I do not see why classic WoW would fail.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Well youtubers are making videos about classic wow and campare to retail wow. So far almost all them say Classic WoW wins no contest no point in even debating.

One guy was playing undead priest going through leveling process in both Classic WoW and Retail and was saying stuff like.

After 30 min of leveling got in group to finsih a quest with some other person in Classic wow. And said things like even at low level in Retail WoW he could pull 4 mobs and kill them while in Classic wow you had to be careful and pull one or two.

But what really got me was the in Retail WoW he got a really nice staff but how it really did not matter cause he could already pull four mobs at a time (so it was just over kill)
    While in Classic WoW gear that you got from quests and professions mattered because it made an actuall differentce. How in Classic WoW gear actually felt like an upgrade.

Think devs ought to spend a few days figuring out how Blizzard a company with unlimited resources literally killed their own game so as not to go down the same path.
  • Well gents vanilla wow launches in about one day according to the luanch count down.
  • Well gents I called it Vanilla wow is exploding servers full suggest Ashes of Creation Development team takes a closer look. Proves current devs at wow are idiots.
  • Was checking out server populations. World wide it is about 4.4 million

https://www.wowhead.com/news=295075/classic-wow-realm-population-report-data-aggregated-through-community

Game came out like 3 months ago meanong those numbers represent active players and do not see that many being made in just three months.

One player said WoW classic is 3 years of content so when this game comes out Classic WoW could be greatest competitor.

WoW retail population said to be about 3 million or 3.7 million.