Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Constantly thinking about AOC

I just discovered AOC’s existence about a week ago. I think about it all the time and have trouble getting it out of my head because it looks amazing. Does anyone have some suggested games such as MMOs I could get into while I wait for AOC to help ease the obsession? I’m looking for something that will still be fun to play for someone new. That can be hard to find for games that have been out for a while. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments

• dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
    I know a lot of people are either into archeage or wow classic as far as mmos go.

dEbtg6Q.jpg
    He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Guild Wars 2 is always nice^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2019
    There are currently no MMOs I am interested in but you can, download the starcraft 2 free version and play the player made custom games, test out Renegade X https://renegade-x.com/, or go back to some older games. I am currently burning all my time in the Division 2.

EDIT: In preparation for Borderlands 3 you could always play through the first two as well :wink:
    Oh yeah i just remembered: The Witcher series and Mass Effect Series (Even Andromeda if you can stomach the faces)!
    a6XEiIf.gif
    damokles wrote: »
    Oh yeah i just remembered: The Witcher series and Mass Effect Series (Even Andromeda if you can stomach the faces)!

At least the combat and skill system was fun in andromeda :smile:
    @whitedude31
    Yeah thats what kept me for the first three planets, but after that i just.... couldnt.... not anymore.
    To be real I was sooo hyped for Andromeda, and then i pre-ordered because: "Hey its Mass Effect, what could go wrong?" And then the reviews 1 week before release came, and i just thought "Yeah okay that looks bad right now but i am certain that they will fix that before it goes out or patch that as the first thing." But then came nothing. And I started reading into the thing... They payed an open feminist, that said that she abhorres the representation of females in gaming. That wouldnt even have been the bad part, everyone should believe in whatever they want. What shocked me the most was that she had no credentials, nothing to give her the position that she got in bioware... But hey, once bitten twice shy, I now never pre-order ever again! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • There are currently no MMOs I am interested in but you can, download the starcraft 2 free version and play the player made custom games, test out Renegade X https://renegade-x.com/, or go back to some older games. I am currently burning all my time in the Division 2.

EDIT: In preparation for Borderlands 3 you could always play through the first two as well :wink:

I loved the first Renegade game. I had no clue there was another one. Thanks for the suggestion :)
    There are currently no MMOs I am interested in but you can, download the starcraft 2 free version and play the player made custom games, test out Renegade X https://renegade-x.com/, or go back to some older games. I am currently burning all my time in the Division 2.

I loved the first Renegade game. I had no clue there was another one. Thanks for the suggestion :)

It is actually a fan remake with some of the original developers that pitched in. Not too many people actually play it because the dev team cannot advertise it or EA will have them shut down.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most mmorpgs are quite beginner-friendly, so it really just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a story-driven mmo with action-based combat I would recommend GuildWars 2. If you want something with more freedom to explore and less linear story, go for Elder Scrolls Online. World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy VIX are also good options but I don't think they do things as well as GW2 and ESO.

That said, if you want to feel what it will be like levelling in Ashes, then you can find private WoW servers that are a close match. I'm currently playing on a WoW private server based in the Burning Crusade expansion, which doesn't have many of the conveniences that modern retail WoW does. The combat is pretty rubbish, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect from playing Ashes in terms of traversing the world, etc.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Runescape old school is damn amazing also. The economy in there is the best Ive ever seen in a game.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Runescape old school is damn amazing also. The economy in there is the best Ive ever seen in a game.

Runescape is definitely an amazing game, as long as you can look past the graphics and the sheer amount of grinding involved in it. No matter what path you choose you'll spend the first few hours grinding just to get your skills up to the point where you can use them effectively.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • grisugrisu Member
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Thank you @grisu
    Another option is to go play Tera. It has the best action combat system out of any MMO and a decent character creation . . . but that is really it :neutral:
  • Another option is to go play Tera. It has the best action combat system out of any MMO and a decent character creation . . . but that is really it :neutral:

I remember trying about an hour of Tera maybe 2 years ago. I can’t remember why I stopped though. I guess I should try it again. I recently downloaded ArchAge because I read that they stopped the P2W
  • QUASIQUASI Member
    I know exactly how you feel, newfriend, except I've been like this for almost a year now.

I'd suggest Final Fantasy, ESO, OSRS, ArcheAge, or WoW Classic. Personally I'm not bothering with any of those and am instead focusing on preparation for AoC. ArcheAge is pretty similar, but also, very bad.

There's plenty of content creators on YouTube talking all about Ashes so I've found that as a preferable alternative to treason.

Hope I helped.
    Another option is to go play Tera. It has the best action combat system out of any MMO and a decent character creation . . . but that is really it :neutral:

I remember trying about an hour of Tera maybe 2 years ago. I can’t remember why I stopped though. I guess I should try it again. I recently downloaded ArchAge because I read that they stopped the P2W

Probably the same reason I stopped, because they decided to give you a completely overpowered weapon that let you kill 10 mobs your level in 5 seconds without breaking a sweat. It's so pointless.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • City of Hero's has a private/public server that i found out about recently, and i believe dauntless just came out.
    Guildhart-Sig.png
  • Ashes of Creation plans to be an MMO that is worthy to be released in 2020+. Unfortunately, I believe there is no existing MMO that can ease your hunger. I suggest you wait for castle sieges :)
    signature.png
  • ShoklenShoklen Member
    Could try Horizons, SWG, EQ3, or WAR... ohh wait... :-/

Yeah sadly there are no current MMOs that will fill the void of 'need something new'. Can't wait for AoC myself.. Just hope they can pull it off.