Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Life & Lost (Character backstory)

Chapter 1: Catch me if you can!

The town bell's ring loudly in the city of Shou Lung. The town seem's on edge as the sound of swords and magic light up to darkened sky. People seem to clear the streets making way for the large groups of rushing guardsmen and city patrol agents that all seem to be rushing to one place yelling "Stop. Thieves!" as they direct their voices to five figures that seem running and jumping from rooftop to rooftop in attempts to escape from the engaging city guards. The five figures running alongside each-other atop the rooftops and soon make it to the walls of the city where they make their way on top only to find a patrol of guardsmen blocking their path. There seemed to be little choice. . . The tallest one of the 5 says quietly. . . "No witnesses. . ." And soon after the 5 of the figures all disperse and engage in combat with the small patrol of guards making quick work of them. After finishing off the last of the guards more seemed to be making their way towards their location with haste. And this was no small patrol. One of the figures of the group with a more feminine voice says quietly. "Oi. . . this way!" She seems to have a hook tied around the beam of the wall with a rope stretching to the muddy ground below outside of the walls. The group with haste follows their comrade down the rope one by one before making a mad dash away from the city walls towards the east. A hail of arrows and magic missiles trail behind the group as they make their break for it and escape through the tree line only to find even more guardsmen awaiting them. They disperses once more each of them seeming to get split up and escape in all different directions. The warning bell's of Shou Lung still being heard from miles away as the guardsmen continue towards the east to their assumed destination. And the city in shambles as reports of the King's crown was rumored to have been stolen on that fateful night.

Comments

• Options
    Chapter 2: A new smell.

I seemed to have finally escaped the patrolling guardsmen of the roads. I found myself jumping into the back of a wagon that seems to be getting loaded up and heading east along the roads. I do not know where this wagon leads but where ever it is it will be better then staying in the area. It seems i am in luck as i search the back of the wagon for food and supplies and find a small handful of apples, bread, and healing kits. I would be best if i took these for encase I need to make a retreat with haste out of this wagon if it is stopped by any wandering guardsmen along the roads until we get past the Kara-Tur Borders. It seems i have a lucky break how ever. The guardsmen only seemed to have stopped the caravan for a short while asking the wagon driver and few questions and requesting his passport before we could cross. It seemed like he was quite the common traveler as i overheard their conversation and the guardsmen and wagon driver seemed to have known each other. I believe the driver called himself. . . "Bart!" The guardsmen yells to him seeming to wave goodbye as the wagon heads east once more. . .

The usual hot and desert like temperature soon begins to become brisk and rainy. The rustling of trees and wild life can be heard from the outside of the covered wagon as well as some slight humming from the wagon driver. I peak outside the back of the wagon where the bright sun rays blinded my for a slight while. . . after a moment of rubbing my eyes I look again to see a view of a mountainside and a lush forest area below which we seemed to be heading into. The once sandy and mountains terrain i was used to was now filled with mud, soil, and plants and this. . . smell. . . It smelt fresh. . . to my nose this was. . .

A new smell. . .
  • Options
    Chapter 3: The Western Warzone

This trip seemed to go on for a few days longer. And i fear this wagon driver will soon begin to take notice i'm eating all of his tucked away food storage. . . After a short while the sound of people could be heard in the distance. I take a peak then notice a small town. . . The sun rays made it hard to see the details of the town at first, but as we drove closer and closer to the village it became clear to me that this was no town of cheerful smiles, Trade, Festive's and Food. . . This place was. . . A War Zone!. . .

The wagon quickly came to a halt in the inner portions of that town near what seemed to be a black smith judging more be the sound of a hammer and anvil then the actual building itself. The building seemed to have a large portion of its roofing blown off and in mid repair. I take the time to step out of the wagon that brought me here taking great care to keep an eye out for any who would spot me doing so. As i careful wiggle out the backside of the Wagon i begin walking south slightly following the road to the inner walls of the town going up a hillside slightly allowing me a good view of the rest of the town from there. The lands looked corrupt and desecrated. . . There were many more mercenaries and legionaries here then there was villagers, farmers, and commoners. The mills all seemed to flow at the same pace. . . giving off an almost dizzying sense to the eyes if you would follow the flow of their wing's circling around and around again despite their being little wind. The humidity makes the air heavy and hard to breath in without proper breathing patterns as it did not seem to be raining just yet but from the moisture in the air it was a clear indication that rain was to come soon and shower the fields of the farms and plantations there soon with water that they so desperately needed.

I walked farther in the city where i caught site of a large group of legionaries all surrounding two tall humanoids with darkened faces due to their hoods seeming to hide the upper features of their face. I knew it would be best if i laid low but i soon found my legs moving on their own to get a closer look. . .

"Ya' pesky litt'l thieves think ya' can get away wit' steal'n do ye?!?!"

Is what i seemed to have overheard from the human legionnaire standing in the middle of the pack. After a short while the words of questioning soon turned into words of abuse and threatening. As all of the legionaries begun beating the two hooded individuals to a pulp, battered and bleeding on the ground before them. After laughing and spitting on their prey the group of legionaries all make their way past my location seeming more fixated on flexing their muscles and laughing at what just occurred rather then listen to my independent breathing and rustling in a nearby bush. . . I watched the two individuals on the ground as they slowly began to come to. . Eventually their cry's of misery and pain became mindless laughter as they got up smiling at what seemed to be a large bag of gold in the hands of one of them seeing that i witnessed them steal off one of the legionaries during the fighting. They seemed quite happy at their prize thinking they had won their battle. . . I soon got up from the bush i was hiding in and began to slowly walk over to them. . . The two of them soon shot my a glaring eye as they seeming the examine me up and down the pupils of their eyes.

"Oi! Get lost ye little runt!"

That was my intention in the first place anywho. . . Without a word i deliver a swift kick in the heads of the two hooded figures leaving them with in deep pain on the floor once again. . . The large sack of gold dropped at my feet as the jingling of coin is heard within. . . I take the gold with a blank expression neither sad nor happy at the fact. . . Afterwards looking two the two hooded figures once more as they jerk and wiggle in pain once again from yet another beat down in the same day. . . This did not effect me in the slightest as I turn my back and walk back down the hillside road with litte regrets and a hefty sum of gold to my name. . .

The wagon driver seemed to be getting set to head off yet again as he begins packing large bundles of materials in the back of his covered wagon. I found myself walking down the sloap of the hill and looking to him already seeming to have a few coins in my hand and dropping it in his with no words or interaction what so ever. This place was not for me anywho. . . and spending a little coin to move on seemed to be the best choice. After the wagon driver packs in the last of his things we seem to set off once more towards the west this time. It felt quiet awkward now being seated properly on the wagon rather then hiding tucked away in a corner. . . I would almost prefer that. . . I looked to the wagon driver with a blank expression. . . he looked old and brittle in his facail features but despite this he had still had the body of a human man in his forties. . . the wagon driver. . . I believe his name was. . .

"Names Bart little lady. . ." The wagon driver seems to again read my mind. . . "What ye be doin o'er dere in ol' Kheldrivver ya sum kinda' tourist?"

We soon make idle conversation but only for a short while as i gave him a fake name i use frequently. . . I take a look back at the town once more as it began to become harder and harder to keep vision on due to the distance and the blockage of the tree line. It seems we have left just in time too as the screams and shouts as well as loud booms of battle could be heard from the great distance. . . And what a perfect time for the rain to show its presence as well as a light drizzle soon becomes a down pour of heavy droplets of water. I shook my head slightly before heading towards the back of the wagon and laying down on a sack of potatoes. . . The destination we were heading to was unclear but i knew that anywhere would be better then there. . . For that town must be going through. . .

"Hell and Back Again. . ."
  • Options
    loved it!

Ox
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options
    Chapter 4: Trouble in Paradise.

((3 Days Later ))

News, Gossip, and Violence seems to spiral out of control in the nearby town. Many Travelers, Merchants, Mercenaries and Families seem to be on edge and hostile to any who seem to approach them. All the residence don't seem to be in the mood to answer questions to investigators to why the town was so hostile at this time. . . But if searched hard enough there would seem to be one or two stragglers then would give a brief overview of the situation. A rumor spreads through town quite rapidly of a very skilled and crafty bandit in the region. The bandit seems to halt any caravan and traveler on the roads and with haste "Collect" what ever they have on their possession. There have been quite the handful of victims some being unharmed while others are left on the roads unconscious or even. . . "Dead". . . With what ever valuables they had on them stripped from their wagons, pockets, and hands. Not much is known about the bandit other then the occasional victims left alive reporting the use of a sling the bandit uses to quite a useful effect taking out a large group of those willing to resist with even a single shot. . .

<em>As these the rumors begin to build more and more I manage to hitch a ride on the wagon that has so far been my safety net for traveling to thus far. . . The wagon man. . . "Oi ello der'e gaein' little un'. Hitch'n ah ride wit further south are ye?" Again i give him the nod of the head is he so used to all this time. . . And with that we set off again along the road to the south. . . As we set off i manage to catch glimpse of a group of settlers currently gathered around a campfire outside the village walls. . . I take my usual spot in the back of the wagon tucked away and out of sight as i listen in on the conversation as we pass-by. </em>

After encountering the bandit, the victim spreads words about what he had experienced.

<strong>"I can attest this is not merely a rumor. This is real! For I am ashamed to disappoint my god - the Morninglord - by falling in front of the said bandit, I failed in my duty as a paladin to make the road a safer place!"</strong>

Although it is a painful experience, mentally and physically, he recounts his fight against the bandit.

<strong>"I met this bandit in Boareskyr Bridge on my way to the Gate. It was at night so I cannot see clearly, but I am sure the bandit is a halfing for the short stature and masculine voice. But don't be fool by her little stature! This said bandit is, no doubt, a formidable foe. In a blink of an eye, not even I can utter a word for my prayer to the Morninglord to grant me strength, the halfing using a ranged weapon, for I cannot see clearly what it is, knocked me out on floor!"</strong>

The victim continues.

<strong>"Luckily I did not lose any belongings as my gear is too heavy for that halfing although i noticed my family locket is missing. . . I hope to find dat' bandit once again and rip it from its pockets for its worth a fortune to my family. . . Aside from that my armor and weapons may hinder its movement, it seems. Everyone traveling in and out of town should be careful of that halfing."</strong>

<em>As we make our way past those gathered around the campfire I ponder a bit about what it is that bandits motives were. . . If any motive at all. . . Alas though its nothing i can think about at the current moment as I was sure i many things to worry about in terms of the future. . . A thought had occurred to me though as i began to climb back towards the back of the wagon and sit along the end with my feet hanging highly off the dirt road below. . . A thought indeed. . . but one i could not answer as i simply stared up into the clear skies above. . . The wind blowing my hair. . . The birds singing the morning song. . . And the glimmer of the sun on golden locket chain hanging from my back pocket. . .</em>
  • Options

((2 Days Later ))

News, Gossip, and Violence seems to spiral out of control in the nearby town. Many Travelers, Merchants, Mercenaries and Families seem to be on edge and hostile to any who seem to approach them. All the residence don't seem to be in the mood to answer questions to investigators to why the town was so hostile at this time. . . But if searched hard enough there would seem to be one or two stragglers then would give a brief overview of the situation. A rumor spreads through town quite rapidly of a very skilled and crafty bandit in the region. The bandit seems to halt any caravan and traveler on the roads and with haste "Collect" what ever they have on their possession. There have been quite the handful of victims some being unharmed while others are left on the roads unconscious or even. . . "Dead". . . With what ever valuables they had on them stripped from their wagons, pockets, and hands. Not much is known about the bandit other then the occasional victims left alive reporting the use of a sling the bandit uses to quite a useful effect taking out a large group of those willing to resist with even a single shot. . .

<em>As these the rumors begin to build more and more I manage to hitch a ride on the wagon that has so far been my safety net for traveling to thus far. . . The wagon man. . . "Oi ello der'e gaein' little un'. Hitch'n ah ride wit further south are ye?" Again i give him the nod of the head is he so used to all this time. . . And with that we set off again along the road to the south. . . As we set off i manage to catch glimpse of a group of settlers currently gathered around a campfire outside the village walls. . . I take my usual spot in the back of the wagon tucked away and out of sight as i listen in on the conversation as we pass-by. </em>

After encountering the bandit, the victim spreads words about what he had experienced.

<strong>"I can attest this is not merely a rumor. This is real! For I am ashamed to disappoint my god - the Morninglord - by falling in front of the said bandit, I failed in my duty as a paladin to make the road a safer place!"</strong>

Although it is a painful experience, mentally and physically, he recounts his fight against the bandit.

<strong>"I met this bandit in Boareskyr Bridge on my way to the Gate. It was at night so I cannot see clearly, but I am sure the bandit is a halfing for the short stature and masculine voice. But don't be fool by her little stature! This said bandit is, no doubt, a formidable foe. In a blink of an eye, not even I can utter a word for my prayer to the Morninglord to grant me strength, the halfing using a ranged weapon, for I cannot see clearly what it is, knocked me out on floor!"</strong>

The victim continues.

<strong>"Luckily I did not lose any belongings as my gear is too heavy for that halfing although i noticed my family locket is missing. . . I hope to find dat' bandit once again and rip it from its skull for its worth a fortune to my family. . . Aside from that my armor and weapons may hinder its movement, it seems. Everyone traveling in and out of town should be careful of that halfing."</strong>

<em>As we make our way past those gathered around the campfire I ponder a bit about what it is that bandits motives were. . . If any motive at all. . . Alas though its nothing i can think about at the current moment as I was sure i many things to worry about in terms of the future. . . A thought had occurred to me though as i began to climb back towards the back of the wagon and sit along the end with my feet hanging highly off the dirt road below. . . A thought indeed. . . but one i could not answer as i simply stared up into the clear skies above. . . The wind blowing my hair. . . The birds singing the morning song. . . And the glimmer of the sun on golden locket chain hanging from my back pocket. . .</em>
  • Options

The victim continues.

<strong>"Luckily I did not lose any belongings as my gear is too heavy for that halfing although i noticed my family locket is missing. . . I hope to find dat' bandit once again and rip it from its skull for its worth a fortune to my family. . . Aside from that my armor and weapons may hinder its movement, it seems. Everyone traveling in and out of town should be careful of that halfing."</strong>

• Options
    Very cool featuring part 1 of your backstory. Here's the link to share with your friends or guild. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVgABAVveE