Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Artifacts in game

Was thinking about a way very powewrful items or even unique items could be put in game with out upsetting game balance.

Well really powerful weapons and mounts and siege vehicles could be put in game that could be rented for a certain amount of time like. Lets say and dragon mount that has several abilities plus breath weapon plus toon might be able to do ranged damage of some kind. Normally this would be to over powered but if it cost some type of currency with a daily cap so a toon could only rent one like ounce every month that would be alright.

This would give players something meaning ful to grind at max level. Plus players would get to play an over powered hero ounce in a while Could even be done in sieges be ok cause both sides could have one artifact or super powerful weapons.

Pretty sure game balance issues could be worked out so I am not going to make a very long post explaining all the game mechanics.

Comments

• ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The team has discussed having unique items in the game that are only obtainable by a few players at a time. This has not been mentioned or brought up for awhile so I am not sure if this is still something they want in the game or how it is going to "work".
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    First:
    Flying mounts will be either time-limited or extremely exclusive for Kings, Queens and Majors.
    Second:
    I really, really REALLY dont want timed items, that loose their effects after some time. "Look at me, I have this super awesome sword that i had to go through hell and back, sadly it will loose its powers after 5 days."
    Third:
    IS said that most legendaries will be one of a kind. So i think that not every 10th player in the high ranking guilds will have an legendary. Maybe the leaders of each guild will have one legendary, that all of their guild had to work for.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    I'm going to take a risk and say that I would love to see "World Class Artifacts/Items"(Overlord's wink) items that have the capacity to break the game but of course that have few rules...
    For example, each and every one of this artifacts/items should be unique (maybe taking one more step and make the that only one artifact/items of the same kind exists in all the servers at any moment)
    This artifacts/items cannot be used/crafted/equiped by players unless certain requirements are fully accomplished (not only level or class but have done a specific quest line, have a higth level of reputation with a faction, or maybe against one, hold a very specific title, giving the LAST STRIKE to a dungeon boss, even a combination of all of this, etc etc)
    If by some reason this artifacts/items are destroyed there is no way to retrieve it
    They must be unlocked only if certain requirements of the server history/lore/dinamuc are satisfied,for example in two servers we managed to awake the dragon on the volcano but the one that holds the artifact/items is the one that awoke because of the mining not because some adventurers manage to enter the temple and do the sacrifice
    Some of this items could not look like "world class" at first sight, "WTF is this???!!! The final boss of the dungeon drop a grey item???!!!..."
    But wait why do the berserker king will drop an ore?...(now imagine that this guy's just took it and goes and sells it to the nearest node, together with the rest of the junk that he collected, that "ore" now is lost along with what it could become)

Stuff like that...
    giphy.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see limited time dragon eggs remain as random rare drops that just go away when their time is up. I also like limiting dragons and such things that fly to node leaders.

I am not fond of the idea that max-level players could just endlessly grind and have an almost constant access to Legendary weapons either. As for the idea of 'renting,' if you mean being able to drop in game gold on things like Dragon Eggs, I don't think I would like that. For me that would take away the rarity of the drop and the power of being a node leader even if there were caps and costs associated with it. I will assume, since it was not mentioned, that the OP would be against spending irl cash on renting legendary things as well.

For me with the legendary items, if they keep them as planned, I don't think balance will be an issue. Some people might have them, and if they are scourges to a node, a guild, a community, etc., they could still likely be ganged up on and dealt with.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of truly legendary items that only one or very few players are able to obtain the same time. I'm not that big of a fan of the timed "OP" items.

I'll just pray to god that Intrepid does not go down the road that WoW did, where every max level player has at least one legendary
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think all the legendary items should have different ways of acquiring them. And some should have additional requirements to unlock them. (In case they change hands, each new owner would have to unlock it.) All of that should be in the service of good narrative of course. They shouldn't just have arbitrary, grindy requirements.

I think it's fine if some of them can be sold/traded, as long as there's no story reasons that the item would be bound to it's owner. I'm not really a fan of "soulbound" anything. If people wanna waste real-world money buying video game items from other players, so be it. P2W isn't really a problem unless it's a predatory business practice by the devs/publisher to sell more stuff (IMO; others can disagree), or if bots are running rampant (which shouldn't happen if Intrepid keeps their word). And honestly, I think it would be kinda funny if a player got their reputation ruined because they bought a legendary for $500 on eBay and tried to show it off. But I doubt that will even happen. I expect most people would much prefer to hang onto their legendary item, for all kinds of sentimental reasons.

As for "renting" legendaries, of course I don't think it should be common. But maybe a specific artifact based on the Economic part of the game, could be rented out in exchange for an extreme amount of gold, gems, and other luxuries. Basically, a big-ass, economic status symbol.

Oh and, how legendaries are lost should be a big deal too. Can they be stolen? Destroyed? Do dragon mounts die when they expire, or are they set free into the world? Where do artifacts go when they're lost? Even though it was pretty cheesy I loved the story of the legendary sword Caladbolg in GW2, and how it was lost, found, used in the main story, broken, and then it could be reforged in a side quest so you could keep it as a skin.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For all of you here that are wondering about legendaries - here is what we know:

"There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time."

"It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon."

"The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed."

Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
    -> A notable exception to this is Royal mounts.

"The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary."

Now to relics:

Relics are achievements for the whole node, that are obtained through heavy timeinvestments by the inhabitants (there will most likely be only one relic per node).
    They enable the players to progress towards an legendary item or through a legendary questchain.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Legendary
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Relics
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Well the probelm is that legendary items are not legendary and if you make them that way the person that gets that way will they will be to powerful.

For example in WoW legendary items are just items with one magical effect.

Artifacts on the other hand could have abilities like Vampiric Touch 200 yard radius, Damage times 2 for undead. Things to powerful for one toon to have permantly but i guess they said no so.....

So what if I toon gets Unique drop and stops playing in a month. But it is ok just an idea I am not a my way is the only right way type of guy when it comes to games.