Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes Competitors

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Which MMORPG`s are likely to be competing with head to head with Ashes?
(was thinking new(er) releases rather than the current stock)

Comments

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    imo mostly:
    -WoW(classic?) because of difficult pve content + RPG + scale of content and players

new(er) releases:
    -GW2.. even tho it is a box cost no sub game with almost only horizontal progression, it is the second biggest MMORPG wich cant be overlooked.
    -FFXIV for having nearly same sub cost and still big playerbase.

upcoming releases non at all. Ignoring all p2w here and nothing else worthly of being called a true MMORPG being made next to Ashes. I had some hopes on amazon's New World because of the money they pump into it. But it seems more of a sandbox game with clown fiesta endgame pvp lol.

And what do you expect ? @akabear
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Chronicles of Elyria. Maybe Atlas. I heard ArcheAge isn't as terrible as broken, so maybe that.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atlas is showing Intrepid all the things they should avoid. From wind mechanics to gating content. Livestreams with a CEO who has to ask his staff basic questions about upcoming features because he only bought the product from his partners at ARK and tried for a quick cash grab. They do some things right, but 90 percent is fucked. But yeah, they are the competition, because there is literally nothing else to play. I think I have put in enough time to have an informed opinion.
    Played.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    leonerdo wrote: »
    Chronicles of Elyria. Maybe Atlas. I heard ArcheAge isn't as terrible as broken, so maybe that.

I think Chronicles is going to have a hard time competing with ashes considering how p2w it is. It's a very niche game to begin with with its survival - "your character can actually die" - type of gameplay
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes of Creation really has a great opportunity as there is really not much out there right now or in development that really stands out. Any regurgitation of older titles like WoW will have limited appeal and short term popularity then return to niche product followed by the devoted few. Games like GW2, ESO, FFXIV all have strong brands but each title has its flaws and ultimately fail in meeting expectations.
  • I doubt that WoW classic will last long. Its going to be played a lot but once the hype is over people will get back to the "original WoW" or over to other games. Most people will play it for the nostalgia

GW2 and FFXIV are "old" games by now with one being released 9 years ago and the other 7 years ago. Theyre doing great on their own but they wont compete with the release of a new game anymore

Chronicles of Elrya, Atlas, ths Amazon game, then theres Corwfall and I missed at least 50 more arent the same genre as AoC. All of them arent "classic" MMORPGs, they go in a diffrent direction than AoC does

Moonlight Blade and ArcheAge might be worthy competitors but Moonlight Blades is developed by Nexon and we all know how much they care about western players
  • Pantheon and Camelot Unchained ... no idea how far off they are. TBH Ashes interests me far more than those two so I haven't really been following them. The next year should be a sweet spot for releasing a new MMO with several drifting into oblivion.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can't think of an MMO off of the top of my head that is going to be heavily competing against Ashes other than the already established MMO titans like WoW and FFXIV
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    It sounds strange but I reckon WoW Classic will be the main competitor to Ashes as both games have similar principles. Both games put a heavy emphasis on open world interactions and community, which games like modern WoW, FFXIV, GW2 and ESO don't. You can play all those games very easily as a solo player, whereas you can't with WoW Classic.

Ashes of creation should have the edge over WoW Classic in terms of combat mechanics, but WoW Classic has a much more established lore and game world, and a fan base to go with it.

As for the other mmorpgs being developed, I've looked over all of them from time to time and honestly I wasn't impressed. I imagine a lot of them will go the same way as Worlds Adrift, which is shutting down after just 2 years.

@Joseline I thought the same as you about WoW Classic just being for hype and nostalgia, and yet the majority of the people who have played the beta so far have loved it more than modern WoW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8lcUSQHjk
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • JoselineJoseline Member
    edited June 2019
    @Joseline I thought the same as you about WoW Classic just being for hype and nostalgia, and yet the majority of the people who have played the beta so far have loved it more than modern WoW.

Things becoming easier as the game ages happens with basically any game. I remember Cabal during its first years. Trying to get to Lv50 took you months and without help can be pretty boring as hoping for drops and killing 50 mobs in a small area can be quite tough, especially when there are 3 other people in that area that you dont want to group up with
    Creating a new char today in Cabal and youre Lv120 in less than a week

The guy in the video is talking about basically the same thing just in a WoW context
    Ask me if I wanted to level a new char in Cabal during its 1st year and I gladly say yes and Ill be busy for at least 3 months just playing the game the way I remembered it way back then but after those 3 months...
    I dont know about Blizzs plans about WoW Classics, are they planning to update it frequently and make it an "another WoW" or are they just leaving it at that? Things will become boring sooner or later, too much of anything makes you sick, no matter how much you love it. Its why online games need updates and offline ones have credits at some point

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Themeparks, like WoW, are not competitors with Ashes.
    CoE might be a competitor - especially Prelyria. But, I'm expecting CoE to launch several years after Ashes.

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria will all compete with Ashes for the people who are deep into either Objective Based PvP or PvP in general.

Pantheon will compete with Ashes for the people who want PvE content.

Final Fantasy XIV continues to be strong and Ashes has too many non-themepark aspects to be able to pull a majority away. Some will leave from FF to go to Ashes, but Pantheon is more likely to draw away FF players than Ashes.

Archeage will probably fold up when any of the first list of games are out and playable.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Joseline From what I've heard, Blizzard don't plan on changing or adding to WoW Classic at all from how it was just before TBC was launched. Assuming that happens and that WoW Classic is popular after the first couple of months, Blizzard will either jump one of two ways. Either they will see how popular WoW Classic is and put in some changes to modern WoW that reflect that. Or they will go in the opposite direction and make modern WoW into even more of a casual theme-park and expect all the traditional mmo fans to transfer to WoW Classic.

This is actually a very crucial time for the mmorpg genre. If WoW Classic proves to be more than just nostalgia and hype, it will how the gaming industry that players prefer the more traditional style of mmorpg, rather than the modern themepark style or Asian style that so many mmorpgs use. This will actually be very good for Ashes which plans to adopt a similar traditional style, with modern-style combat thrown in.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Redcap_GoblinRedcap_Goblin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm kinda hyped for New World but it could be a flop. Same with Peria Chronicles.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm kinda hyped for New World but it could be a flop. Same with Peria Chronicles.

I really hope that new World will end up being good. Maybe we will even get faster mail if you are an amazon prime member ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    new world is a joke xd tbh more of a sandbox game where you rush to endgame in some hours time, join a group and then open world pvp with theyr horrible combat system. dont bother following it if you want a real MMO
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
    @shkevi I always find comments like yours amusing. What do you define as a "real mmo"?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    New World is much more survival driven with little to no pve elements. I wouldn’t say it’s not an MMO, but it definitely will attract a different crowd. It has a full player driven economy, and makes
    Me feel like they’re trying to recreate EVE but in a low fantasy setting. It is in the early stages of Alpha still, so I would wait and see how it turns out.
    @shkevi I always find comments like yours amusing. What do you define as a "real mmo"?

a real mmo for me is forgetting important irl appointments, thinking the whole day 'if i get home i will do this quest and need to talk to this guild, make sure my shop is still running' , locking yourselve up in a basement and skipping breakfest because its a waste of time .. could farm those mobs instead XD
    a real mmo for me is having a map of the ingame world hanging on your wall, not having to play ANY other game because 1 MMO takes all your time.
    a real mmo for me is knowing more precise how much coins there are in my ingame inventory rather then my bank account XD
    a real mmo for me is when laying in bed with the girlfriend at night cuddling but you still want to get up to the computer because you forgot managing siege weapons for tomorro's siege.

you see a real MMO for me is a second real life to hide pvp and RP on, and i cant remember any game from the last 10 years that immersed me in the online world like WoW+Runescape+GW1+FlyForFun did back in the days. you feel me :D ?
    shkevi wrote: »

a real mmo for me is forgetting important irl appointments, thinking the whole day 'if i get home i will do this quest and need to talk to this guild, make sure my shop is still running' , locking yourselve up in a basement and skipping breakfest because its a waste of time .. could farm those mobs instead XD
    a real mmo for me is having a map of the ingame world hanging on your wall, not having to play ANY other game because 1 MMO takes all your time.
    a real mmo for me is knowing more precise how much coins there are in my ingame inventory rather then my bank account XD
    a real mmo for me is when laying in bed with the girlfriend at night cuddling but you still want to get up to the computer because you forgot managing siege weapons for tomorro's siege.

you see a real MMO for me is a second real life to hide pvp and RP on, and i cant remember any game from the last 10 years that immersed me in the online world like WoW+Runescape+GW1+FlyForFun did back in the days. you feel me :D ?

So....an addiction then?
    volunteer_moderator.gif

So....an addiction then?

exactly ! isnt that what everybody wants ? or at least the people spending hours following the game right now before its finished :P i find being focussed with 1 game way more fun then playing random bs games from steam for a hour each time like ive been doing the last year
  • JoselineJoseline Member
    edited June 2019

So....an addiction then?

exactly ! isnt that what everybody wants ? or at least the people spending hours following the game right now before its finished :P i find being focussed with 1 game way more fun then playing random bs games from steam for a hour each time like ive been doing the last year

Not necessarily
    I enjoy a good game that keeps me busy everytime I dont want to do something else but it shouldnt consume all my free time. I played Elsword for 5+ years straight and Ive been online there for up to 12h a day but a decent amount of this time I was just AFK watching anime and simliar and still I always had the best equip you can get (well except the numbers behind my EQ) and was able to keep up with some of the best players on the server

I expect this game to entertain me for years, not to rob my freetime
  • Oath
    i might have exaggerated a bit to show the difference between such games and something like new world :P
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Joseline wrote: »

So....an addiction then?

Not necessarily
    I enjoy a good game that keeps me busy everytime I dont want to do something else but it shouldnt consume all my free time. I played Elsword for 5+ years straight and Ive been online there for up to 12h a day but a decent amount of this time I was just AFK watching anime and simliar and still I always had the best equip you can get (well except the numbers behind my EQ) and was able to keep up with some of the best players on the server

I expect this game to entertain me for years, not to rob my freetime

Everyone needs a bit addiction in his life.
    I lost about 2k gold in the mystic fountain in items playing Guild Wars 2 over the years.
    But it is worse for school children tbh and young adolescents.
    I remember when i started with WoW. I was in the 5th class and was only allowed to play on the weekend or holidays, which made it only worse. I could not think about anything else but WoW during the week and my notes fell from a 1 to a 2 and then to a 3 (in america that would be form an A to a B and then a C)

What do we learn from this? Children in the age between 12 and 16 should not play MMORPGs. Those years are too important for later years. From the age of 17 onwards should be the best to starts imo.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »
    What do we learn from this? Children in the age between 12 and 16 should not play MMORPGs. Those years are too important for later years. From the age of 17 onwards should be the best to starts imo.
    How fortunate for me that when the first MMORPG was released, I was 19 years old. ;)

I have two daughters, my oldest one has been playing MMOs since she was pretty young. (My youngest is still too young to have the motor and cognitive skills to play.) Back in my day it wasn’t MMOs, but rather older computer games and console games on Atari and Nintendo. They had the same risk of addiction.

The key is to not let the gaming monopolize their time. Give your kids other fun things to do and don’t let them spend too much time gaming. I’ve played games pretty much my whole life (more than 40 years) but I’ve always had other hobbies.

Hhak63P.png
  • If everything that has been promised become reality, then there wouldn't be any game that could compete with Ashes. I see people mentioning wow classic...that game will mostly draw people from WoW or ex wow players while Ashes won't only draw a significant amount of people from almost all MMORPGs, but from other genres as well. It may very well change the perception of gamers regarding MMORPGs and what they are capable of. As for other MMORPGs in development..I see some really good ones but also mediocre ones like Pantheon. Those games will most probably have niche communities (that doesn't mean they won't be successful).
    signature.png
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most of the WoW classic posts I have seen from people out there run along the lines of "I can't wait to use this meta I had back in the day!" or "This was easily exploitable in vanilla, they better allow me to do this again!". I think that with all nostalgia games once people get back into it and start getting slammed with all the substandard shit that made vanilla what it was, they will leave.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most of the WoW classic posts I have seen from people out there run along the lines of "I can't wait to use this meta I had back in the day!" or "This was easily exploitable in vanilla, they better allow me to do this again!". I think that with all nostalgia games once people get back into it and start getting slammed with all the substandard shit that made vanilla what it was, they will leave.

I played WoW at the very beginning. There’s a reason they added more features.

Hhak63P.png
  • Classic is clearly going for the same strat as old school runescape. I wouldnt count on it to go down and I wouldnt be surprised if it beat bfa.

The most remarkable advantage ashes could have over all other mmos I know, is immersion through new mechanics.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther