Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Skillful Overthrow of a Castle?

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
My theory is Castles own nodes (not the other way around). Guild Wars are unnecessary (blocking entrances to dungeons or PVPing groups after loot is juvenile). Breaking free of linear thinking. Is it possible to overthrow a node without a direct assault on the physical structure and the like? That being the process of raiding settlements, declaring war, and resolving that war? I think a combination of political usurpation (especially taxes), assassination, and competing leadership, should be another way of changing the node - In a big and drastic way (like an assault victory). Why destroy things if your smart? Does a node or castle have to be changed out by brute force? I commiserated @Sunfrog about Tsun Tsu who was translated as saying 'to destroy an enemy is inferior, to take them intact is superior.' Best, Skaff.

Comments

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Like my uncle being able to render the entire living room unlivable after fajita night!!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Certainly, Nodes do not own Castles.
    I don't know that I would use the word own to refer to the relationship between Castles and Nodes, but... Nodes pay taxes to Castles... sure.

Doesn't matter whether guild wars are necessary - guilds will still find reasons to want to engage in guild wars.
    Guild wars aren't the same thing as Node wars.
    And only guilds can participate in Castle sieges, but that's not really the same thing as a guild war.

Only way for Castle ownership to change hands is via a siege.

Assassination will not change a Node significantly - unless you consider winning the gladiator battle to become mayor of a Military Node counts as assassination. Really the only way political usurpation would have any bearing is with the voting in a Scientific Node, AFAIK. I'm not sure what competing leadership might entail.

I don't know that "destroying things" is necessarily always a factor. Might not be necessary for Node wars.
    Successful Node siege attacks result in the Node deleveling all the back down to Stage 0.
    Castle sieges will probably always be about brute force. Even if you wanted to try to peacefully hand over ownership of a Castle to a friend/ally, there would be other players choosing to fight to attempt to be the one who successfully channels the relic that determines ownership.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would make sence for castles to be taken by force. I mean that guild in a castle is not going to open the gates to let any random attacker in for a cup of tea.
    And for nodes; Since leadership can change it brings different taxes and building placement with it. I dont think the node should be damaged or destroyed because of this. The 4 node types have different methods of choosing theyr government and mayor which should bring some variation aswell.
    Obviously it is not going to be possible to assassinate a mayor, go to his city council hall and be like 'Oke guys in case you didnt knew.. iam the new leader' xD
    So is there something PI members know about this or what is a mechanic example that you would like to see as alternative to take over a node ? Iam sensing a strong smell of troll in this one..
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Need to separate out your terminology.

Nodes and Castles have different mechanics.

To take a castle you must take it by force.

To take a Node, you can destroy it or take it over politically, or starve it out and case it to wither and die.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They already said that Castles will own a certain number of nodes around them. To take a castle you have to stage attacks on these nodes first to weaken the castle.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    jahlon wrote: »
    Need to separate out your terminology.

Nodes and Castles have different mechanics.

To take a castle you must take it by force.

To take a Node, you can destroy it or take it over politically, or starve it out and case it to wither and die.

Dude, this is Skrumposnatch, words are interchangeable and certain ones are ubiquitous for him. It's like his super power.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    'to destroy an enemy is inferior, to take them intact is superior.' Best, Skaff.
    Regardless of what other people may claim, there is an obvious means by which any individual can take over a castle without the need for any force.

It isn't a game system specifically designed to take over a castle, which makes it even more intriguing imo, but it is a system that absolutely has to be in the game, and though difficult (nearly impossible - but only nearly), the system absolutely, 100% has to allow for ownership of castles (as much as one can own a castle) to shift to another player without any force used at all.

I am the fog of war while you are a statistician (in my opinion).

Does anyone else now want to see a rap battle between @skafftaruss and @jahlon?!?!

Aq0KG2f.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    karthos wrote: »
    I am the fog of war while you are a statistician (in my opinion).

Does anyone else now want to see a rap battle between @skafftaruss and @jahlon?!?!

I already have a headache
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace