Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Making mining fun.

consultantconsultant Member
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Well for most part mining and herbalism are the most boring professions. Personally think herbalism should just be combined with Alchemy so I will just concentrate on making mining fun.

Usually mining comes out to swing a pick axe. As far as pick axes are concerned their could be different models even a rare (pretty close to legendary but not quite) with its own partical effect. But What if there was some legendary outrageous pick axe. I would want it for sure. Mabye one that is rocket powered on the down swing.

Dwarven Mining Apparatus. Now I am not going to make big long post on the machine I have in my mine. But there should be tool doing mining (drill maybe) converyor belt that leads to smelter. Cousre would require long quests and getting parts to make it. The Apparatus would be controlled by player by a real simple mini game.

Chance to disturb or attract earth and/or magma elementals and elemental monsters.

Really do not have to use Pick axe. Like for Pallies that use Hammers well they could just attack an ore node with hammer doing damage getting more resources when Ultimate abilities proc. Game Mechanics could be adjusted for every class really easy.Mages could cast fireballs at ore node.

Well summoners could summon lesser demons to help or mine for them but they would get distracted so that would mean another minigame (making those little imps work with a whip I guess)

Plus there could be Elven Mining Apparatus. diferent style that is all.

Putting a little rng and maybe finding tablets and relics that lead to quests would be pretty cool.

Really mining could be one of the most fun professions in the game.

Was going. to do herbalism also but that would little more than having ecounters with pests, killer insects, forest creatures, plant creatures and that would just be exploring in general. Think be better if it was just combined with Alchemy but have no idea what type of things are already in the works for herbalism.

No limit on how creative get with mining just trying to open the door.

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Double post.
    k2U15J3.png
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How about accidentally hitting buried septic tanks?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that they should implement exploding ore. It can randomly drop from any mining node and explodes when it is mined. High level miner can safely mine them and then use them to creat gunpowder. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In runescape when mining you occasionally spawned a rock golem that players could either run from or fight. It was an odd mechanic however the golem took so long to kill (it was always much higher level than you) that most people just ran away. It was one of those things that was more exciting for people watching than the player who spawned the golem.

There was also an exploding vein mechanic which would destroy the head of your pickaxe if you didn't stop mining in time. Again a weird mechanic and I think it was just a method of stopping bot abuse.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2019
    @wanderingmist
    I really like the idea of randomly spawning an elemental. XD
    They could tune it so that it uses the level of the corresponding node. High level node leads to a high level elemental, while a low level node leads to a low level elemental.
    After the elemental is killed, you can mine it for rare extra resources for alchemy, smithing and enchanting. (Like an elemental core, crystaline bones or elemental dust etc)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • grisugrisu Member
    I started to skip after reading through half that post. So making the act of mining more fun is having cool looking pickaxes and race specific ways of mining?

I duno, still just mining. I'll be looking forward for what IS does with it. The hub based mining sounds cool. Just hanging out with frinds there talking while doing your mining sounds like a good way of making it more interesting.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @damokles thinking about it more I feel like most of the mechanics in Runescape were designed purely to stop botting, rather than making the gameplay more interesting. Spawning mobs while farming resources can be fun but only if done properly.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • That was one of the nice things about Landmark/EQ3 before it got scrubbed.. You could take a pickaxe and just start digging in the ground looking for metal and gem resources.. Then caves came and you could check those as well.. Made gathering those resources fun.. I felt anyway..