Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Phasing for quests.

Now this is about seeing another toon near by out in the world and not feeling like that toon might take kills from you while you are on a kill this many( wolves) quest.

Let say there are normally five wolves well there can be five more wolves that are normally never seen unless you are on that quest. So let say you are on that quest and you attack an out of phase wolf then it becomes visible to every one does not matter if they kill it because you attacked it first.

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Phasing should be avoided. We all exist in the same world there is no reason to phase out parts of it, that just makes the world feel empty and it makes for a bad use experience. WoW proved that time and time again with their phasing tech.
    k2U15J3.png
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think this is a neat concept. Mobs can be represented by a few or more evryone can see, but have some additional ones that need to be interacted with by a player before they are visible. This would allow everyone access to a kill assuming if you hit it first it is "yours" on death.

However, I do think this has potential to take away some PvP over resources.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please no... i think that the ckmpetition for mobs is a important patt of any mmorpg. Did you see shat sharding currently does to wow classic? People phase in and out, loosing their adds in fight, because they enter specific quest zones etc...
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For all that is Holy, Fuck No.

Not only is phasing pointless for a multiplayer game, it's a confirmed failed method of running an MMO. It essentially empties the game world, which is a complaint every dying MMOs community has.

I'm confident it won't be in AOC though.

It flies in the face of the vision for Ashes, it removes you from the game world, it's hand holding and creates an environment of low risk.

Steven has literally made numerous comments about wanting risk and reward to be strong elements in the game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I was in the WOW stress test. Worst thing ever is phasing. Nothing like targeting a mob start casting then you or the mob phase out. Or one second the room is empty next your surrounded by random mobs.
    In retail if your playing with friends and you get out of step with them you or they disappear.
    Phasing is a horrible horrible idea.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Phasing is only required when you have a huge amount of players in a single area all gunning for the exact same mobs/resources. This shouldn't be a problem in Ashes because the players will be spread out across 103 different nodes, all of which can cater to level 1 players. This is far different to packing all the players into 1-2 zones the way other mmorpgs do.

Phasing completely breaks the sense of immersion and community and should only be used when absolutely necessary.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • grisugrisu Member
    I wouldn't even say phasing is ever anywhere requiered, but it was the cheap attempt of a solution for some "problems".

Phasing imo is a bad concept, maybe on paper it sounded good, but it takes away more than it gives. Oh GW2 and it's map hopping/resets that force you to load again, what a pain. Oh the disappearing mobs and people you just talked too because new people joined the map and oyu got divided.. zerg trains..phasing offered nothing in that game aside from headaches and that was one of the more consistent implementations.

Ressources are finite. There are only 500 wolfs growing up every hour, if they are dead, they are dead. If the plain was picked clean of that flower blooming there every 4 days, it's picked clean. If there aren't enough ressources in that one area, well might want to move on. You don't need phasing when you can respawn everything infinitly, just gotta make sure you have it right.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    Phasing is only required when you have a huge amount of players in a single area all gunning for the exact same mobs/resources. This shouldn't be a problem in Ashes because the players will be spread out across 103 different nodes, all of which can cater to level 1 players. This is far different to packing all the players into 1-2 zones the way other mmorpgs do.

Phasing completely breaks the sense of immersion and community and should only be used when absolutely necessary.

I'm going to piggy-back in your comment and add that when players vie for the same limited resources, it creates conflict, which in turn creates content.

I'm actually paraphrasing something discussed in the last Livestream. AOC is literally designed to have this dynamic.

That's why I never see phasing of any kind to happen in this game.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • No phasing, not now, not ever.

Phasing is a technical solution that supports a bad game design concept: that you are 'the' hero experiencing a single player story line artificially inserted into a multiplayer world. MMOs should be shared world experiences for all players.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Phasing for resources no longer makes then scarce. If only 5 roses bloom in an hour in a certain place. It creates not only content but also scarcity and helps the economy.
    Some one is farming that flower right before you you now have choices. Buy, fight or find someplace else to get them.
    Seems people keep wanting to go back to single player RPG's VS and MMO.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Phasing should not be a thing. The concept/mechanic of "kill stealing" should not be a thing.
    If both people are killing the same wolves, they should both get credit for the kill xx wolves quest.
  • ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    dygz wrote: »
    Phasing should not be a thing. The concept/mechanic of "kill stealing" should not be a thing.
    If both people are killing the same wolves, they should both get credit for the kill xx wolves quest.

I'm not really a big fan of that without some additional rules. Far to often do I see someone run around behind me and tag enemies I have claimed with an instant cast or DoT and do nothing else. Typically in most MMOs I end up as a tank so I befriend healers or support classes and I do large pulls. Nothing is more irritating than someone hitting a target I have and then running ahead to go do something else and come back to get loot. I'm 100% behind the group tag loot (meaning only the group who tags it gets loot) on open world enemies with the exception of world bosses or events.
    argentdawn wrote: »
    dygz wrote: »

I'm not really a big fan of that without some additional rules. Far to often do I see someone run around behind me and tag enemies I have claimed with an instant cast or DoT and do nothing else. Typically in most MMOs I end up as a tank so I befriend healers or support classes and I do large pulls. Nothing is more irritating than someone hitting a target I have and then running ahead to go do something else and come back to get loot. I'm 100% behind the group tag loot (meaning only the group who tags it gets loot) on open world enemies with the exception of world bosses or events.

You don't fix this with phasing though. You fix this by changing how tagging, expirence and loot dropping works.

Phasing is the lazy and ultimately damaging way to "solve the issue".

Aq0KG2f.png
  • grisugrisu Member
    I have an easy fix for that, kill the guy.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are two easy ways to avoid all of the issue in the OP.

The first is to not have only 5 mobs that are used as a quest target.

The second is to not have stupid kill X quests.

Phasing is stupid.
  • Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    Or maybe even if we not in party if I and other people attack mob and if I am first to hit I got all staff and another people only quest item.