Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mob appearances and strength.

georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Here is what I would like to see as monsters:

organized human(elf, d elf etc) soldiers/cultists/assassins/wildlings/bandits. Not very often

real animals (wolves lions bears). Often enough

fantasy monsters. Most of the time.

undead. Very often.

Vampires. Rarely

Demons, with or without weapons and armor. Often enough

Tribal communities: lesser orcs, ogres, trolls goblins. Often enough.

Mythical beasts. Not too often.

Dragons. Rare.

Elementals. Often.

Twisted divine powers (angels, holy warriors, monks). Rare.

Oh so many others...

Monster strengths:
Normal: 3-5 hit death. Low xp. Might be material farm source.
Decent: 10 hit death. Relaxed xp. Specific material source.
Strong: 15-20 hit death. Good xp. Chance to drop whole item. Quest related.
Very strong: not worth taking on solo. Maybe duo trio. Satisfying xp, materials.
Roaming Raid Boss: Needs a group of around 10 people to kill. Drops 1-2 good and usefull items for the players to share. Gold and matrrials.
Area Raid Boss: strongest on the zone. 2 groups of 7-10 ppl to kill. 1-2 good and very useful items. Gold materials. Quest related.
Legendary/Epic/World Boss: It would take A LOT of people to bring down. Best rewards.

All of which can happen while some other player might want to kill you or join you on your adventure.
Open world mmorpg.(that should be my forums name...)

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really want a troll spezies.
    They could be the first kind of dungeons boss a low level group could encounter.
    Slow, large and heavy hits, they are the perfect enemies to practice on xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    Would be very interesting if npc /mobs cooperate too, for example there human warrior and healer I am attacking healer, warrior taunt me or trying to save healer. If I am fighting with mini boss(like Grey dragon on portrait in wow) neares mobs will attempt to defend him.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the break out, not really sure what your concept of 'often' is, but I would prefer seeing undead 'less often' or at least kept to areas that make sense (to me): Old crypts, abandoned temples w/ graveyards, old (real ancient) battlefields, and such. For me having zombies just chilling roadside is odd.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ryuuji wrote: »
    Would be very interesting if npc /mobs cooperate too, for example there human warrior and healer I am attacking healer, warrior taunt me or trying to save healer. If I am fighting with mini boss(like Grey dragon on portrait in wow) neares mobs will attempt to defend him.

Be careful what you wish for buddy. That kind of interaction between mobs sounds great for immersion, but in practice it sucks if you are a solo player in the open world. There's a reason why Murlocs are one of the most hated enemy types in WoW, because they are some of the smartest enemies in the game. Using healing spells on their low health allies, running away when on low health, calling for help, snaring you and using ranged attacks, etc. They are a nightmare for any player to deal with.

volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Would be amazing lf wildlife was a little more rare than in most mmos.
    Too often I see the concept where you have bears on this area, foxes on this one etc.
    They should be spread out and maybe have that a little too high level solo wolf u have got to watch out for.

Other kind of monsters I think should be treated as normal. Rogue camps of races in difficult areas, Undeads only in gys or eery battlefields, etc.
    Basically in places where ur imagination makes it plausible to believe in them.

For difficulty I would prefer hard damaging mobs that limit aoe grinding. I would also like to see thougher monsters in thougher areas, the kind u need a strategy to solo.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
    ryuuji wrote: »

Be careful what you wish for buddy. That kind of interaction between mobs sounds great for immersion, but in practice it sucks if you are a solo player in the open world. There's a reason why Murlocs are one of the most hated enemy types in WoW, because they are some of the smartest enemies in the game. Using healing spells on their low health allies, running away when on low health, calling for help, snaring you and using ranged attacks, etc. They are a nightmare for any player to deal with.

Maybe having this systems in camps, castles, settlements where the make sense
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My hope is that with more intelligent creatures that have healers or shaman type casters that will use heals and more offensive spells from range. Some mobs that near death may try to flee from combat and seek reinforcements to aid them.

I quite like the idea of slimes and jellies as opponents in dank swamps or deep underground, they could be resistant to some types of damage and you would need to work out the best way to kill them. I would like to see mobs that have some resistance to certain elements or some types of weapons blunt/crushing, slashing, piercing. This could make some opponents tough to fight in some situations.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
    varkun wrote: »
    My hope is that with more intelligent creatures that have healers or shaman type casters that will use heals and more offensive spells from range. Some mobs that near death may try to flee from combat and seek reinforcements to aid them.

I quite like the idea of slimes and jellies as opponents in dank swamps or deep underground, they could be resistant to some types of damage and you would need to work out the best way to kill them. I would like to see mobs that have some resistance to certain elements or some types of weapons blunt/crushing, slashing, piercing. This could make some opponents tough to fight in some situations.

Same as I posted, I like idea of intelegent mobs, maybe not everywhere
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The same problems apply. It sounds great in theory but in practice it is a nightmare. It can work fine for group content like dungeons and raids, but not for open world solo play.

Mobs with certain resistances are tricky to manage because you could easily end up segregating the community by making certain classes unviable in certain areas. If you have an area where all the mobs resist physical attacks, any class that only has physical attacks would be useless in that area.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    hunh. I did not find soloing Mulrocs particularly difficult.
    I'm expecting this kind of behavior from Ashes mobs.
    Seems like it's pretty basic AI design for MMORPGs at this point in time.
    dygz wrote: »

It depends a lot on what class you play. Some classes had the tools to deal with the murlocs, other classes didn't.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    dygz wrote: »

It depends a lot on what class you play. Some classes had the tools to deal with the murlocs, other classes didn't.

*cough* dieing warriors everywhere *cough*
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The same problems apply. It sounds great in theory but in practice it is a nightmare. It can work fine for group content like dungeons and raids, but not for open world solo play.

Mobs with certain resistances are tricky to manage because you could easily end up segregating the community by making certain classes unviable in certain areas. If you have an area where all the mobs resist physical attacks, any class that only has physical attacks would be useless in that area.

This type of system has been hinted at by Steven. Creatures probably will not be immune but just resistant you will do less damage.

With some of the power stones providing effect abilities and the ability to swap them out of your weapons need fire swap a fire stone into your weapon, fighting undead how about a holy stone.

This is a question from the DCN live stream that Steven answered.

Q: What are Runic power stones? Could you give us an example or comparison?
    A: The stone system, whether power or enchantment stones, there are slots in armors and weapons that can be slotted with a number of stones. These stones range from damage bonuses, ancillary effects, providing buffs or passives and much more, all of these things that the stones can do for you, they exist in tiers of relevancy and power. As you increase the grade of the item that you own/craft using materials you can potentially increase the number of slots an item has. Runic power stones in particular are temporary stones that you can apply for a period of time and are situational which offer certain benefits. Enchantment stones can be unsocketed but they are permanenet.

This is why I think you will be able to change the damage effect of your weapons through this system well that my theory shoot me down if you like ;) we are here to discuss the game.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • VanqorVanqor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I really support the idea of a wide variety of mob difficulty, instead of the normal "trash mot vs boss" that's normal.

Then the people who prefer slaughtering loads of easy mobs while watching a movie can do that, while those that prefer tough fights where you need to build smart and utilize your skills can do that. This requires, as you pointend out, balancing of rewards for the different difficulties. Risk vs reward!

In general I'd really love to have access to hard solo content and/or duo content.
    vanqor wrote: »
    I really support the idea of a wide variety of mob difficulty, instead of the normal "trash mot vs boss" that's normal.

Then the people who prefer slaughtering loads of easy mobs while watching a movie can do that, while those that prefer tough fights where you need to build smart and utilize your skills can do that. This requires, as you pointend out, balancing of rewards for the different difficulties. Risk vs reward!

In general I'd really love to have access to hard solo content and/or duo content.

I like thought fight and planing strategy also as they are more difficult to kill they can give more exp versus trash mobs like in BDO and give you little exp.
  • In most MMOs creatures are tied to a zone. One example is cats in this area and then bears in this area. Think of there were some mobs that were tougher mixed up with normal mobs. Maybe that would be the right balance between to easy and to hard.

So you are farming bears but you would have to be on look out for tougher mob. Makes it a little bit interesting. And does not promote near afk playstyle.