Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ships, Sailors and the High Seas

KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
There's a depressing lack of discussion around here on the ocean/naval aspects of AoC. This is THE thing in the game I intend to devote the most time into, because if you know two things about me, it's that I'm extremely good looking and that I love ships.

Background reading:
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Naval

This system has the makings of a fairly in-depth sailing system. What are your thoughts towards and hopes for ocean content in AoC?
Aq0KG2f.png

Comments

• Kiryu_riyKiryu_riy Member, Leader of Men
    I would like to see every island that we find has meaning (resourses, quests, lore). Beautiful underwater scenery, ruins, treasures, underwater resourses.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like what we have heard and there is nothing about the system i'm currently worried about.

I'd like the classic things like sea trade, pirating, and sea bosses (kraken).

It would be nice if there were some materials that are unique to the sea to push people out into it, maybe some unique processing as well so you need trade ships to bring it to the main land.
    I like what we have heard and there is nothing about the system i'm currently worried about.

It would be nice if there were some materials that are unique to the sea to push people out into it, maybe some unique processing as well so you need trade ships to bring it to the main land.

Shels 😁
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like ship building to be as thought out as caravan building and other crafts. I think it would be awesome to be known as the best boatwright in the "tri-node" area.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    azathoth wrote: »
    I would like ship building to be as thought out as caravan building and other crafts. I think it would be awesome to be known as the best boatwright in the "tri-node" area.

Come on down to Enchanted Zach's Boat Emporium! 10% APR, financing available for even banned players.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    I cant see any information about the weapons used for ships. As far as I understood cannons/gunpowder will not be a thing in Ashes. Which is someway a shame as that was so enjoyable in Archeage. Waiting with baited breath to see how they tackle this.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2019
    @neomir

I think the most that we will be getting will be Arbalests, Katapults and giant potion launchers. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
    neomir wrote: »
    I cant see any information about the weapons used for ships. As far as I understood cannons/gunpowder will not be a thing in Ashes. Which is someway a shame as that was so enjoyable in Archeage. Waiting with baited breath to see how they tackle this.

Ballistas and harpoon guns have been floated as an idea.

I honestly wouldn't mind some sort of "magic cannon". I would be extreamly disappointed if ships are basically just player transportation and have no real offensive ability.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can't wait to build my own ship and start sailing! If I'm forced to specialize, I think I might choose sailing over being a shipwright/shipbuilder - mostly for time reasons. But the game looks so beautiful, it'd be hard to stay in one place while owning a ship... even if it is magical and I can essentially put it in my pocket and deploy it somewhere else.
    caelron wrote: »
    I can't wait to build my own ship and start sailing! If I'm forced to specialize, I think I might choose sailing over being a shipwright/shipbuilder - mostly for time reasons. But the game looks so beautiful, it'd be hard to stay in one place while owning a ship... even if it is magical and I can essentially put it in my pocket and deploy it somewhere else.

I hope that sailing is involved enough to matter but not too involved that it turns people off from it.

But if rather they err on the side of more involved then not enough.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • I played ArcheAge and loved their naval combat. I personally didn't care much for the melee/range combat while in the water but the cannons, harpoons and ramming tactics were exciting.

Hope to see small ships built for speed + utility, large galleons that support multiple cannon-like bombardments that vary in speed and turn radius, large slow moving troop carriers that are built like small fortresses but lack a lot of offensive capabilities and very small, if not solo, manned vessels that are able to submerge for deep diving exploration (no torpedoes). I hope fishing vessels will be an optional source of income for players and trade ships passing from one node based near a body of water to the other.

If they could add a large island only reachable via boat that had a node or even a castle available to be claimed it would add some diversity to castle sieges. Instead of trebs and battering rams we had to use ships to take the castle.
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sarevok wrote: »
    I played ArcheAge and loved their naval combat. I personally didn't care much for the melee/range combat while in the water but the cannons, harpoons and ramming tactics were exciting.

Hope to see small ships built for speed + utility, large galleons that support multiple cannon-like bombardments that vary in speed and turn radius, large slow moving troop carriers that are built like small fortresses but lack a lot of offensive capabilities and very small, if not solo, manned vessels that are able to submerge for deep diving exploration (no torpedoes). I hope fishing vessels will be an optional source of income for players and trade ships passing from one node based near a body of water to the other.

If they could add a large island only reachable via boat that had a node or even a castle available to be claimed it would add some diversity to castle sieges. Instead of trebs and battering rams we had to use ships to take the castle.

I don't know anything about ArcheAge, but the different ship classifications to me is a must.
    They've already said there's going to be different size classifications for pve based on solo, group, or raiding content - but haven't really given out more details than that.

I hate to say it, but I'm counting on them creating islands that are only reachable by boat. I honestly don't mind if there's no castle on the island, but if it ended up being the center to a node... that would be fantastic.

But seriously - castle or node sieges by naval warfare? Yes, please! I imagine at that stage, the ships will almost exclusively be used for landing 'troops'. But, if they actually made the ships big enough or powerful enough to be able to siege things, I'd be one happy sailor!
    Would be interesting to have island node, like Japan or England, would be interesting to see one of this nodes in metropolis stage
    sarevok wrote: »
    I played ArcheAge and loved their naval combat. I personally didn't care much for the melee/range combat while in the water but the cannons, harpoons and ramming tactics were exciting.

I miss stuff like this

https://youtu.be/ZaD-WQ-oweo
    Aq0KG2f.png
    ryuuji wrote: »
    Would be interesting to have island node, like Japan or England, would be interesting to see one of this nodes in metropolis stage

I'm really hoping for a Tortuga or Pirate Island-esque node on the server i play on.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Im honestly not sure if id prefer more detailed and realistic boat controls or if i want basic "click w to go forward and a or d to turn" controls.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Didn't really think about that but i guess i'd prefer "more realistic," at least to some degree. At least for the bigger ships, I think i'd prefer if there are different stations that need to be used to move the ship.
  • Didn't really think about that but i guess i'd prefer "more realistic," at least to some degree. At least for the bigger ships, I think i'd prefer if there are different stations that need to be used to move the ship.

Yeah, the player at the wheel, the player in the crows-nest, some more players on the magic-blasters (guns...!), etc.

I'm quite intrigued to see how the naval content plays. As other have said in this thread, I'd like to see special little islands with points of interest and hidden secrets.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Viymir wrote: »

One of the recent streams Steven said there would be no gun powder but a "magical" equivalent. But it is tied to the lore so he wouldn't say much more then that for now.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can`t remember the technique used, but in "Sea of Theives", they made the turbulent wave mechanics server-side such that they could ensure that all players could achieve the waves fairly and evenly for pvp.

I would love to see some areas of the ocean, especially where pvp, to be a violent and challenging.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Didn't really think about that but i guess i'd prefer "more realistic," at least to some degree. At least for the bigger ships, I think i'd prefer if there are different stations that need to be used to move the ship.

Yeah, the player at the wheel, the player in the crows-nest, some more players on the magic-blasters (guns...!), etc.
    The one thing I've been wondering about naval combat in Ashes is if they will require people on rigging or sails, making it so that multiple people are needed just to make the larger ships move, let alone be able to actually do anything useful.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the game was launched with naval content being very light, to be added on to later on - much as it was in Archeage. I'd like it if it were not this way, but this still wouldn't surprise me.
  • AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What i hope to see is

1. many small and big underwater caves. The bigger ones with air inside. Maybe some even are a way to a huge hidden underground area with something special like a temple for one of the three "bad" gods.

2. not only ships but maybe some floating trading points like in the film waterworld.

3. using guns on a ship with magic because we have no gunpowder. The limiting thing could be your own mana or something like that.

4. boats and ships shouldnt be able to change the moving direction from forward to backwards in a second. The bigger the ship, the more inertia it should have.

5. maybe even some bigger guild-ships. But here you have to be carefull to not make them op.

6. weather effects maybe

7. different wind directions if soomething like wind is even planned, and changing directions over time, so that not everybody is going on that one route that is the fastest, because so you have to explore the best path over and over again.

8. The caravan-system on water! Smaller or bigger (depends how much cargo you have) boats if you want to send your cargo from an island to the main land.

9. drifting ice in colder areas. If you hit it with a boat, then it should make a little damage to your boat. But on the other side it would be funny to be able to stand on that ice, to jump from one of them to the other, or even wait and see where it is drifting to, but maybe that would last too long. Maybe it could even melt after some time.... but all of that would be extremely much work to programm i think.
  • @Viymir
    Viymir wrote: »

Steven answered a question about this recently. He said there would be some sort of magical equivalent to gunpowder, so there will still be cannons or something very similar.
  • @Noaani
    Noaani wrote: »

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the game was launched with naval content being very light, to be added on to later on - much as it was in Archeage. I'd like it if it were not this way, but this still wouldn't surprise me.

I remember getting hints or something about boats and sailing being in Alpha 1, and I know Steven is also very excited about the sailing and ship aspect of the game. So expect it to have a lot of focus on it during development
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ryuuji wrote: »

Shels 😁
    A guild can focus on harvesting and processing them and become a shell corporation.

Hhak63P.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    McShave wrote: »
    @Noaani
    Noaani wrote: »

I remember getting hints or something about boats and sailing being in Alpha 1, and I know Steven is also very excited about the sailing and ship aspect of the game. So expect it to have a lot of focus on it during development

I'm sure we will get ships, but as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it the way Archeage did it.

In that game, the ships were all available at launch, but a year or so after release, they made it so ships had equipment slots and you could customize and upgrade each individual component.
  • Atama wrote: »
    A guild can focus on harvesting and processing them and become a shell corporation.

Ohhhhhh man, I can never un-read that! Hahaha :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I'm excited to see what this game will have for sea faring. I'd love to have customizable sails/flags on ships for when your with your guild. Also it would be nice to have that the bigger frigate style ships require a relatively large guild need to pool together resources to make, it makes a fun project for the guild to work together with and makes the ship themselves feel more special to you and your guildies if it's challenging to be able to acquire.