Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will we ever see an Orc / Dwarf Metropolis?

RavudhaRavudha Member
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
As much as I want to see a Nikua and Ren'Kair metropolis, I know it's going to come down to player demographics - will we have servers full of elves and humans...yet again...will people pick something new...who knows. Even if there are many dwarves and orcs, they'll still need to outnumber the other races in their areas or in their guilds, which seems...unlikely? what do you think?

What race are you leaning toward? Personally, I like the look of Ren'kai.

Comments

• Planing on an Orc Bard here...
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm planning on Vek for my main.
    Good chance I might have a Nikua striving for a Nikua Metro.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Hard to say without knowing the racial benefits, but Orc is a pretty popular flavor
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact Horde out numbers Alliance in WoW across the whole population doesn't support your theory at all.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    @karthos
    Where is my LOL button when I need one!!!!
    :p
  • georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
    edited July 2019
    He does make a point.
    Maybe there will be some short npc race oasis villages in the game.

As for the nodes, remember it's not that big of a deal.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited July 2019
    karthos wrote: »
    The fact Horde out numbers Alliance in WoW across the whole population doesn't support your theory at all.

Good point; this gives me hope.

Though it seems the breakdown still favours elves and humans, Orcs are more loved than I thought:

https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/global-stats/races
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2019
    Tulnar. Tulnar. Tulnar. Tulnar!
    V3iglez.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    B) I like orcs. I want to see more orcs. More orcs is plain orcy.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm giving the Vek a hard look; testing will refine my choices.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Kind of wish they included Goblins.. Loved them in Warhammer Online...
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Orcs be so populair !
    I am probably going for one too, RenKai as main. All of the classes seem so intresting :D cant wait to get more info on them. Could this be the first game where not 90% is human or elf ? >:)
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
    shoklen wrote: »
    Kind of wish they included Goblins.. Loved them in Warhammer Online...

Look out for the tulnar. They are supposed to include around 4 races.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ren'Kai master race metro for sure.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • TolthorTolthor Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The Dunir have plenty of folk with overactive loins! Don't count us out just yet ;)
  • Without racial bonuses, I can't really tell which race will I chose. In WoW, my main was orc. I like the taurens much better, but their racial was worse for hunter, that is why I chose orc. But in lot of other MMO, I played with elves.
    From the concept arts it seem that there will be not big differences between races, mainly the head. I am not happy with it. :(
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If the only difference will be the head, I will be very upset, too.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

ghoosty wrote: »
    Without racial bonuses, I can't really tell which race will I chose. In WoW, my main was orc. I like the taurens much better, but their racial was worse for hunter, that is why I chose orc. But in lot of other MMO, I played with elves.
    From the concept arts it seem that there will be not big differences between races, mainly the head. I am not happy with it. :(

A player's choice of race will influence their racial abilities.

Each race has different base stats.
    Races are not gender or class locked.
    Some classes may work better with certain races but nothing is enforced.

Stat growth
    Stat growth proceeds in the following order:
    The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
    The primary archetype grows the base stats.
    The secondary archetype (class) further grows the stats.

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Maybe you could get all the dwarves to get together and play in certain node. It goes by which race gives the node the most experience. From what I know you could wait to level five node then get as many dwarves as you can in your area so that when the metropolis comes it will dwarven
    elf wrote: »
    If the only difference will be the head, I will be very upset, too.
    Ashes has racial stat progression in addition to different body models for the various races.
  • GhoostyGhoosty Member
    edited July 2019
    damokles wrote: »

From the 'concept art' word, I thought that it is clear that I meant visual, not the stats.

These are the orcs. They are oranges, with big teeths, but the body is same as humans.

PvP-Combat-Ashes.jpg

Dwarfs are smaller this is OK.

Here is a screen from ESO. Without the head, I can't find out which of them belong to which race.
    There are slight differences, but I like bigger differences that I can find out the races from the silhouette.

races-eso-800x283.jpg

edited July 2019
    @ghoosty
    It wasnt that clear tbh....
    And did you SEE the Tulnar concept art? They are going to consist of 3-4 different races (mammalian, human and lizardfolk) and you will be able to control the amount of their characterstics with a slider.

Also ESO is a good example for homogenized characteristics: Nords, Bretons and Redguards all also look the same. (This goes for Altmeri, Bosmer and Dunmer for most of it too)

IS already stated that the races in Ashes will have differences between each sub-race.
    Dünir will have their facial hair as a major characteristic (male and female btw xD), while the Nikua are supposed to have only small amounts of facial hair fkr an example.

Another caveat:
    The races in Ashes look REALLY different from each other.
    Orcs seem to be 1 1/2 as tall as humans, while dwarvs look to be only 1/2 as tall as humans.
    The elves look to be the same as they are in ESO.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Next time I will try to write more carefully, I did not expected that that small sentence will create that many reactions.
    I already mentioned that what I said is based on the concept arts. I do not see big differences, but I forgot about Tulnars. If they are misleading and they will look really different, I will be happy.
    The Orc in the center of that pic does not have the same body as a Human.
    And the Orc on the far left looks significantly larger than the person with the Shield.
  • Oompa-Loompa Orcs... Interesting..
  • ^ Okay... if I can create a Tulnar that can even remotely resemble a Dragonborn from DnD... I'll switch from Orc.. and going by the image above, it's a high probability going by the silhouettes... Not sure how I missed that concept art..
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Tulnar is amazing, but I might try specifically to find a heavy Dünir node, or maybe the Py’Rai elves or Vek orcs just because I really love their architectural styles.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only good ork is a dead one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NPCs: "why are you invading our lands and destroying our cities??"
    Players: "ok..well..ah...you see...we like your buildings but Orc design is sooo last year, we'd like to see it in Tulnar...by the way does this (points at Castle) come in Nikua?"