Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Lack of interest

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling a lack of interest in the game? I first found out about AOC back in mid 2017 and i've been really hyped for it all the way til the start of this year. Yeah they had server issues and such and the testing was shut down but i was still hyped for the game.

I don't really know what im trying to say here but i feel as though there's been a lack of content coming from intrepid even though we are seeing updates in the news section every month. Anyone else feel the same?
Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow

Comments

• ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited July 2019
    I feel we are in the lull before the storm...

We are quickly approaching Fall, and it being a full year after the first people got to log into Apoc. The game itself got pushed back (not being a 2019 release any longer), but hopefully only by a Quarter. Within the next 4 to 6 months I'd really expect to see Alpha 1 thru Beta 1 at the very least. Once those gates open a lot of information will flood out.

I didn't mention beta 2, as, from my understanding, it will be the shorted test of them all measured in a few weeks (if that).

I will say, I've followed my fair share of pre-mmo launches over the years starting around 2002... With that comparison in mind, we should really start to know more about the classes, skill trees, augmentations and crafting really soon.

The upcoming Dev Diaries may help this area of knowledge, a little. We'll see.. They are taking submitted questions right now on the topic.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am hyping AoC since 2017 tbh xD
    Somehow never lost the interest.... Now I am a Forum ghost, stalking new threads and preach to everyone who has ears and eyes, that bards are the best class.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    I dunno that I've been expecting content, yet. MMORPGs take time. Games take time, in general.
    And, I've actually had a chance to play the game already - which is more than I can say for CoE.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The only thing that i would really like to see would be APOC.
    I dont really care if the back-end was a bit wonky, i just wanted to see the scenery, slaughter some noobs and ride my gryphon :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KotterKotter Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    i'm feeling the lack
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do you people not have other interests?

I picture most of you just sitting on a widow's walk, strolling around while you look out to sea, waiting for Ashes to drop.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    kotter wrote: »
    i'm feeling the lack

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d27c00250324f72368b5550&rid=giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
    karthos wrote: »

I picture most of you just sitting on a widow's walk, strolling around while you look out to sea, waiting for Ashes to drop.

That is pretty much me, if you include me trying to survive university exams.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I just cant wait even tho I know it's going to be a long time before I get to do what I want
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »

That is pretty much me, if you include me trying to survive university exams.

It’s cool that you can see the Sea from your window though

Virtue is the only good.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm just as interested in the game as I was when I learned about it during the kickstarter. I don't find my interest fading because I went in to it expecting there would be periods of sparse information.
    k2U15J3.png
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My interest level is slowly increasing as we (theoretically) get closer to the Alpha testing. As of now if they gave us access to a character builder I might be ready to start playing by Q4 :smiley:

Until then following the forums and watching/reading what I can when I have more than a handful of minutes will suffice.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    I'm probably more hyped for the game then when I first heard about it. I really like the direction have taken with art and combat. Early on, I felt like there was a lot of ways they could have taken these things and had some worries but I've been happy with everything they have shown us so far. I think only one of their decisions has disappointed me and it's far from a big issue.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have the same level of interest as I did back in early 2017 before the kick starter just bubbling away as we get closer to alpha 1. Though we have no date yet my belief is that alpha 1 is closer than people think well that my optimistic opinion anyway I like to be positive.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    still hyped but in a slight dip now.. trying to not think to much about AoC: letting any news suprise me till APOC returns to not get burned out watching old livestreams :D
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wouldn't say my interest in the game has lessened, maybe because I don't expect public testing to start for at least another 6 months. For now I'm content with what is happening and will wait patiently for any news that comes from the horse's mouth.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I lost most of my hype after my.com but I do keep a eye on news
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Its not that i dont trust intrepid. Im sure they'll deliver an amazing product, i just want to see some more. I think my hype will come back once apoc is up again because that would mean most of their back end is sturdy and the game can move forward at full speed

I have a switch and am pretty excited for all the first party games that get released. Aside from that just trying to pass exams
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Avoiding hype is the best way to deal with new games. Some people in the AoC community are literally getting upset because other people aren't prising AoC enough. Maybe AoC will be great or maybe it will fail as many MMORPG's so far... who knows. My main concern is that they are being to some degree influenced by Archage and it was utter garbage of an MMO which was just painful to play.
    Ao-C-Forum-Sig-by-JINX.png
  • It will ultimately depend on your diet too lol.. Try somethings around. I have been an avid AoC fan since the kickstarter and look now.. My old account on the old forums got deleted and I just got back hoping for a newer update. Lets all be realistic, we are die-hard mmo fans here since the genre hasn't received any good games for the last--longgg years, we all hope that this will be the one and tbh creating a game specifically tailored to our needs is no walk in the park. I'm just contented that they bring us update, sneak peaks, changes and most importantly improvements. At the end of the day we will all benefit towards it. I don't even care if it took them 1 more year, so long as the game is delivered in the standard that they have promised and beyond it. AMEN?

LOGOwD.png
  • A problem is, people hype up new mmo's to something they just can't live up to. Plus as others have said, people keep talking about the next "wow-killer", which might also be something it can't live up to. But ActivisionBlizzard is apparently doing a fine job on their own with "wow-killing" :p
    Plus new mmo's just don't have everything wow has, which of course they can't. Wow has been there for so many year. So people don't stick around with the new mmo, long enough for the game to get more of what wow has/had
    New MMORPGs have too much of what WoW has - without the lore/nostalgia investment.
    dygz wrote: »
    New MMORPGs have too much of what WoW has - without the lore/nostalgia investment.

WoWs lore is just copy and pasted to start with
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • TolthorTolthor Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the hype was always going drop with such a long time to go until launch. There's still so much we don't know, hence little need to get hyped. If I was to make a sweeping generalisation I'd also state that the MMO crowd are the most fickle crowd in gaming, so there's no need for concern at this point.
  • RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wouldn't say that I'm lacking interest in the game... It's just that I can't play it, so it's more of an, "out of sight, out of mind" kinda thing. Once we get to start breaking shit during castle siege APOC, I'll begin to get hyped again.... I really, really want to get into the meat and potatoes of class development.... That's when I'll start getting SUPER psyched, but till then... /shrug
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly my interest in the game is at 0% until I see an actual MMORPG. So far I tested a crappy BR game, and I haven’t really seen anything new in more than a year. I assume things are going on behind the scenes and I haven’t lost “faith” in this game, but interest? There’s nothing to be interested in right now.

Hhak63P.png
    atama wrote: »
    Honestly my interest in the game is at 0% until I see an actual MMORPG. So far I tested a crappy BR game, and I haven’t really seen anything new in more than a year. I assume things are going on behind the scenes and I haven’t lost “faith” in this game, but interest? There’s nothing to be interested in right now.

Didnt you see the wave animations in the last lifestream? They were really cool! (Tbh i really like the wave animations more then new mounts or animals that they had shown us)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    damokles wrote: »
    atama wrote: »

Didnt you see the wave animations in the last lifestream? They were really cool! (Tbh i really like the wave animations more then new mounts or animals that they had shown us)

I think people like Atama are more interested in seeing those animations, etc in action with actual gameplay, which is fair I guess. It's hard to get a sense of what the game will be like until you see gameplay footage.

I didn't actually realise this until I looked it up, but it's been 10 months since we last saw any gameplay footage which is quite a long time for a lot of people. Now I know that this is partly because Intrepid have been focusing on their netcode and underlying systems that will make the gameplay smooth and responsive online, which is very important when the game launches. The problem is that these aren't really things that you can easily show off to the public in a video.

So yeah, I can understand why people are starting to doubt a little and lose interest, but at the same time I don't think there is much Intrepid can do about that.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    7 months since the last time we saw MMORPG gameplay. Right.
    dygz wrote: »
    7 months since the last time we saw MMORPG gameplay. Right.

feels a lot longer.

I miss alpha 0 :'(
    nJ0vUSm.gif