Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Website

tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
Hi,

It's been 3 months since these forums launched. Since then, I can't think of any consumer-facing deliverable that have been implemented by the web team since. Am I missing it? I know there are a plethora of projects - Improving the clarity around purchasing packages and not being able to play right now; improving navigation on the home page; bread crumbs on the store; referral system.

Seems odd. Can we talk about it?

Thanks,
- tug

Virtue is the only good.

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The ability to change display names.
    k2U15J3.png
  • The ability for badges to stick around longer then a fleeting maiden in the night... would be nice.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    edit: totally didn't just put that reply on the wrong post

Virtue is the only good.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Probably priorities.

Massively ambitious mmo backlog > website
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No name change
    No polls
    No LOL button

None of the above supersedes the game itself, but I assume the web team are not the same as the game development team so we should get updates concurrent with each other? I am happy we have a working forum again, would like to see an improved forum, but would much prefer to see some dates for the game testing.
    the LoL button and polls were intentionally removed.
    k2U15J3.png
    edited July 2019
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Probably priorities.

Massively ambitious mmo backlog > website

Those should be distinct teams with different project backlogs.

I raise the issue because the non-progress is almost to the point that I wonder if anyone is even working on it. It wouldn’t be a big deal if no one was (game first and all), except that the staff keeps indicating that there is a Web team.

Virtue is the only good.
  • The "Web Team" is just Fred, age 63, and just learned HTML 4.0 from watching youtube videos and wiki reference documents... Give the poor guy a break. :smile:

(I'm joking for those of you without a sense of humor)
    edited July 2019
    arzosah wrote: »
    I missed where they gave a reason why they did this?

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neomir wrote: »

Probably because people made 100 polls a day for the same 4 topics.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    edited July 2019
    neomir wrote: »
    Toast explained why the LoL reaction was removed in this thread
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42538/bring-back-the-lol-reaction-to-the-forums-comments-back#latest
    edit: found the explanation for polls getting removed
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/193618#Comment_193618
    k2U15J3.png
    Fair enough if the functionality was misused then it is not worth having in the forums...

edited July 2019
    Misused? Not sure about that. The old forums with the gamification were much more active.

Absolutely people achievement hunted for post count, badges, and different things. But did that matter? People were still here more. Isn’t that what you want to when you grow community?

Virtue is the only good.
    edited July 2019
    I can't remember many polls that were really misused, though it wasn't uncommon for the responses to be biased.
    k2U15J3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    :D
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The forums are a mess but I doubt they will do anything
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    It would also be nice if badges stopped dropping off randomly, only to be earned again, and dropping others off. Probably not an intended feature.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    Because I am keen on the topic, I noticed it wasn’t in the newsletter for any new hires for web team. Then I noticed that they are hiring two people for the web team. I’m assuming at this point that they don’t have any actual web developers. Interesting area for high turnover.

Virtue is the only good.
  • Hiya folks! I replied to our friend @tugowar on Discord about this, but figured I'd drop in here as well :blush:

Once the forum relaunch was wrapped up, our web team shifted over to working on more of the back-end infrastructure and fixes needed to support our upcoming Apocalypse tests. While I know Margaret has quite the list of web requests for refreshing and improving our website (and I also have forum requests like badge fixes for when we get the resources available), right now the primary focus is on prepping for that upcoming testing!
    community_management.gif
    @LieutenantToast

You should hire Spiderman for the Web Team.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    Wait-and-see. Got it.

PS The reply on discord was in a confidential channel on a different but closely related topic.

Virtue is the only good.
    why am I not surprised
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, to be fair - I'd rather have a working game than a working forum website. So, I like this!
    caelron wrote: »
    Well, to be fair - I'd rather have a working game than a working forum website. So, I like this!

why not both? I mean that is why you hire a web team
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• zinniezinnie Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Its a problem when you are essentially double dipping your web-team as back-end techs. You have to allocate manpower to the higher priority task (Apocalypse)
    The result of that priority is the lack of progress on the website/forum front and an ever increasing bug list that they will have to tackle once they are done with Apoc.
  • I know this isn't the case, but I can't shake the feeling the back-end of Apoc is built using Dreamweaver.... :tongue:
    My take on it is that they are responsible for all user authentication across all platforms.

Virtue is the only good.