Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character names. Account/ID names

georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
Personally I hate it when games use account or ID names in addition to your character name.

Some display both above the character, others show the account name on guild chat.

Isnt the character name all that should matter in order for people to recognize who you are, if you are speaking and a way to contact you?

I hope that Ashes will not use account/ID names for any ingame purposes.

What is your view?

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure they have ruled that out, since sharing account names is just poor security.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are advantages to having separate account name/IDs to character names. It helps altaholics by allowing people to easily identify a person's multiple characters. If you and I are friends, and I have 8 different characters (one for each class), do you really want to have all 8 of my characters on your friends list?

It also makes guild management a lot easier. As a guild leader it's a nightmare keeping track of each person's alts in your guild. Inviting each character individually, promoting/demoting, etc. All of this is a lot easier when you have account IDs instead of character names.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tough choise indeed.. i am not a fan of sharing acount name either, a new character is a new story especially for roleplayers. but as @wanderingmist mentioned there is reason for it. best example i can think of is in gw2 where ppl make and delete alts all the time for fashion wars. there you can pm someone by both character and account name which comes with 4 numbers; and know for sure you pm the right person. (also a form of security to not get scammed) either how, i couldnt care less with what they go
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that you should only need the account name to add a player into your friendslist tbh, but that is only my opinion.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • malisentmalisent Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally, I have some characters that I like to play incognito... I don't want my friends list to share on every character. If I'm farming or crafting or auctioning on an alt, that is my 'quiet time'... when I'm out interacting in the world, I'm on my main character where I expect regular interaction with all my friends and guildies.
    Lis | Play smarter, not harder.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Probably could have the option for both.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What if... you named your account id the same as your character name.

Virtue is the only good.
  • TarlachTarlach Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    "As a representation, in the world, above the characters head there will only be the character name which would technically be your first or last [name]" - steven
    https://youtu.be/ZnoHtzaQeMs?t=173

Can watch the clip and interpret the part however you like. In my mind the only name above the persons head will either be the first or the last name of that character. Also prolly title and/or guild, hopefully not to much stuff goes up there.
  • Glad it will just be the character's name displayed; hopefully same goes for chat. No need to make the account information visible to anyone other then staff at IS.

Those trying to keep track of a ton of characters, alts, friends with tons of alts... I suggest a notebook. Been using them to keep track of mmo information for nearly two decades now; and vital before the introduction of in-game maps.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2019
    I personally think that if you put a character name in to your friends list, you have that characters name in your friends list.

If you put an account name in your friends list, you have that accounts characters in your friends list.

That means you can't add an accounts full cast of characters to your friends list without that player giving you a piece of information.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Having account name takes away from "Espionage"
    Pretty sure Steven said they wanted that to be a thing as well.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Each of your alts will be their own characters (so you won't have linked names)

But you will

1) Share housing
    2) Share citizenship

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Let me introduce the Baby Monitor guild.

Do you have a suspected spy?

Hire us to follow them to their freehold and camp out logging all of the different named PCs that are swapped out!

We will then follow them to determine which guilds they are in, and report back on all their scandalous behavior!

Know the enemy within!

*Absurdly expensive rates applied for suspects that have non-freehold housing.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    azathoth wrote: »
    Let me introduce the Baby Monitor guild.

Do you have a suspected spy?

Hire us to follow them to their freehold and camp out logging all of the different named PCs that are swapped out!

We will then follow them to determine which guilds they are in, and report back on all their scandalous behavior!

Know the enemy within!

*Absurdly expensive rates applied for suspects that have non-freehold housing.

A counter intelligence services i like it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tugowar wrote: »
    What if... you named your account id the same as your character name.
    That is my actual plan.

Hhak63P.png
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought SWOTR had a cool concept of giving each character on the account the same last name.
    Aq0KG2f.png