Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

random encounters / passive beings

caedwyncaedwyn Member
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
imagine the true sense of exploration and adventure when you randomly stumble upon a gargantuan turtle that is not attacking you and is so out of your league that you can't attack it either ... its there just for the sake of being there ! just for the sake of details <3

imagine going through the forest and seeing some fay ... something that is both alive and as passive as nature itself... something that adds more variety and life to the world not merely something to kill.
these are passive encounters. they won't attack and you can't attack them, they are as alive as the world itself.
you either enjoy or don't pay attention

and you may think to yourself "is it a future content?" who knows...

here i present some of those things, use your imagination :
4ce72a1dc91d85a38608fb925d84d432.jpg
888f7949063bd73e5e21b74c0c8829d8.jpg
df1213393bc42c45b1d499fe21806574.jpg
101c46c563b1f935b28f9b7a2ea01562.jpg
5cde16dbf38857f810c96017627ecc51.jpg
6f1d60be840eb400fe1eae7c4ff2be6d.jpg
c5fd37cd74f64cfca28838371642e128.jpg
69d570758ca4f17b2f9bc907de3d56ab.jpg
5e308ca0c17bce6477b3771492753e33.jpg
13505a0e9528383c6096ea135aefd233.jpg
0bd2dcb87035871b4c91ce655d7f5f53.jpg
d46e8a281df408cd008431cdb9e466c1.jpg
d768d6a4def66c67859186f050fa6d07.jpg
967f9aa58340f0653ee3c04fc28e4ec8.jpg
91caebcbbcea033286c35a3b29ee5e7a.jpg
3faef458dddad07c1b2aa25e1c760ff2.jpg
401121500bf7fab0709b705785267814.jpg
fa0857563195172a551bb4c5315fa040.jpg
de332a7368de99a8f39cff2c9d1248ff.jpg
9eb9a0cab30733ebc5108b4d2b881653.jpg
6d02d8a1fd1057b0248d4187ba33744f.jpg
525eca95372050787d45fa13414b099c.jpg
df19e19e33aabd38f9bba267c4d96531.jpg
f09a93f515ef82fc9bd0905a51218fb0.jpg
e794da63912eb760244902649bbe8644.jpg
8dc3250c5d3825082a18769a13ade567.jpg
08172f58fbc5b77426383a4190801268.jpg
3a4ac8d90af2658b7ecc177aa6624239-warcraft-art-world-of-warcraft.jpg

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well we know that some world bosses will be random.
    I also somehow really want to lead a gargantuan world boss into an enemy city xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    you just wanted another thread to show of your art collection ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    these ones in this topic are counted as passive encounters... they won't attack and you can't attack
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    Nagash wrote: »

XD o i would love to do that
    but no thats not the reason :smiley:
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    Ooooo I'd love that~! ^-^ Very good idea! <3<3

I really hope they do stuff like this, all the little stuff adds up c: Hecc this isn't even that little, It'll add a lot seeing things around the world that you don't just mindlessly kill~! You just leave them be and they let you be as well n.n
    Poko.png
    caedwyn wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

XD o i would love to do that
    but no thats not the reason :smiley:

hahaha you really do have great taste in art
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    we know there will be some small creatures walking around like the desert critters in the pax demo. those are some really nice pictures. would love to see one of those in the world. especially a giant tree or rock that has eyes in it XD i can imagine designing these take alot of resources tho. and at that point it would be like why not just make a monster out of it :#
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So many of these really fit my preferred MMO aesthetic. If I can make a druid like character and wander the forest and find these I would love it.
    signature.png
  • *Stretches back in her seat*

"Say, do you remember the leprechaun migration of xxxxx ? Those fellahs got ev'rywhere. Harmless, just appeared, in darkacre forest, roamed to the eighth shore and jumped into the water. Never knew why, maybe they'll be back one day"
  • grisugrisu Member
    This is exactly what I meant with my post in the other thread. Not just passive encounters, but encounters better left alone. Things that are beyond our little existence. They are there, they exist and just encountering them should be special on a level that isn't about killing.
    grisu wrote: »
    I see Haku, I like
    princess-6-1024x550.png

If you know this I hope you know the implications of the picture :3

So for (simplified) clarification. This is an actual god, usually in the form of a deer. He gets ambushed and his head chopped off. He transformed into this gigantic thing chasing those who have hurt him.
    It's an unbeatable encounter, the only thing to do is accept your fate now or somehow make peace with him.

A world to explore that goes beyond kill or be killed, that would be amazing.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    This is exactly what I meant with my post in the other thread. Not just passive encounters, but encounters better left alone. Things that are beyond our little existence. They are there, they exist and just encountering them should be special on a level that isn't about killing.
    I see Haku, I like
    princess-6-1024x550.png

So for (simplified) clarification. This is an actual god, usually in the form of a deer. He gets ambushed and his head chopped off. He transformed into this gigantic thing chasing those who have hurt him.
    It's an unbeatable encounter, the only thing to do is accept your fate now or somehow make peace with him.

I would be really cool if there was a worldboss in the later stages, that required practically the whole continent to win against. A boss that goes above and beyond a 40-man raid encounter. a natural phenomenon. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited May 2019
    Damokles wrote: »
    I see Haku, I like
    princess-6-1024x550.png

I would be really cool if there was a world boss in the later stages, that required practically the whole continent to win against. A boss that goes above and beyond a 40-man raid encounter. a natural phenomenon. :D

then the problem would be, who would lead such mass? and its not a problem of capable leaders, being liked or hated and having enemies is another matter ...
    who would and who would not be welcomed, the ways to ruin it and so on...
    watch a video of : archeage leviathan or titan-wing, a complete video to see what goes on for such a massive raid of 100 or more people ...
    the implications are huge

not saying it wouldn't be fun and awesome
  • Guys, I think that the point here shouldn't be killing them, but encountering them in your explorations and be left in awe at the power, greatness or just beauty of such creatures.
    I mean, of course winning against a continent-level threat as part of basically a small army is cool and all, but sometimes you just want to stumble across something incredible and leave it alone.

Joy of discovery everyone?
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited May 2019
    anthracite wrote: »
    Guys, I think that the point here shouldn't be killing them, but encountering them in your explorations and be left in awe at the power, greatness or just beauty of such creatures.
    I mean, of course winning against a continent-level threat as part of basically a small army is cool and all, but sometimes you just want to stumble across something incredible and leave it alone.

Joy of discovery everyone?

EXACTLY my idea
    and as you can see, some of the pictures i shared are not that tough looking (for example the unique white deer with red leaves on its antlers) which is normally not hard to kill but like i suggested, you wont be able to attack it and it wont attack you either.

hence it will be only a unique encounter
    maybe even an achievement or title or something as someone who has seen the rare deer ...
  • noemadnoemad Member
    I would love for this kind of thing to be in AoC. It would just add to the beauty and mystery of the world and increase the sense of wonder and magic to be found in your explorations.
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ah things like this would be amazing.
  • autumnleaf wrote: »
    Ah things like this would be amazing.

ikr ?
    i only hope
  • EvoWEvoW Member
    Yes! Please! One big gripe I have with a lot of MMOs is how lifeless the world feels. I really don't want things to feel synthetic or lifeless in this game. Please make exploration truly a High Fantasy experience, and not just with making passive encounters like these.
  • EvoW wrote: »
    Yes! Please! One big gripe I have with a lot of MMOs is how lifeless the world feels. I really don't want things to feel synthetic or lifeless in this game. Please make exploration truly a High Fantasy experience, and not just with making passive encounters like these.

exactly!
    this will let us feel more immersed and feel the world more alive and full of life
    there are things in the world that are there simply for the sake of the world and for the sake of just BEING THERE.
    there's no need to either destroy or capture everything!
    somethings are just there to be appreciated!
    not to mention if intrepid wants they can change them into events or world bosses at some point or whatever...
  • Yes! Yes! Yes! My favorite part of the mmorpgs are explorations and discovering things in open world. Random encounters, hidden places and rare creatures that migrate from place to place brings more dynamics and sensation that the game doesn't revolve only around the player >....<
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love to see the ghosts of those living on Verra before us, walk certain paths or in a certain area at night
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In SWTOR on Tatooine in the middle of nowhere the is a skull that is clickable.
    So as you walk through to due a quest it is lying there. When you click it a raid boss shows up all of the sudden.
    Was super funny to watch people click it not knowing what would happen.
    Random hidden stuff like this has always been fun for me. Even running away from a randomly summoned raid boss.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • imagine as you're walking by in a dungeon, you see a sign "do not feed the trolls"
    and then you keep on going and then there are some cute harmless trolls...
    you can pet them and feed them and then all of a sudden they become horrifying giant monstrous trolls :*:D
    imagine as you're walking by in a dungeon, you see a sign "do not feed the trolls"
    and then you keep on going and then there are some cute harmless trolls...
    you can pet them and feed them and then all of a sudden they become horrifying giant monstrous trolls :*:D

im getting flashbacks to vermintide 2 now
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd feed the Troll's just to see what happened. If not just for the lol's and screams.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • I'd feed the Troll's just to see what happened. If not just for the lol's and screams.

i mean how do you know they will turn into monsters ...
    maybe theres a chance you get a super rare baby troll pet !
    I'd feed the Troll's just to see what happened. If not just for the lol's and screams.

i mean how do you know they will turn into monsters ...
    maybe theres a chance you get a super rare baby troll pet !

could get a pet rock troll from the witcher
    (loved those guys)
    nJ0vUSm.gif

@nagash
    Did i hear, PET ROCK?!?
    hqdefault.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
    damokles wrote: »
    @nagash
    Did i hear, PET ROCK?!?
    hqdefault.jpg

its clive! Soviet will be so happy to see you again
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    princess-6-1024x550.png

A world to explore that goes beyond kill or be killed, that would be amazing.[/quote]
    I think what I would want to see here, is a godlike mob that completely ignores characters as it observes in a trance-like state. People can eventually kill it, but, it will not attack, there will be no drops and it will respawn after 45 seconds.
    Or, when hit, it chases you and attacks, but does no damage and when killed there will be no drops and it respawns after 45 seconds.