Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Lore Friendly Cosmetics (Skins)

edited July 2019 in General Discussion
Yh... I've had to change up the discussion due to my own misunderstanding of things... 😄

Non lore friendly skins for example: Mage with a frost skin shooting fireballs. What do we think? How do you think this will impact immersion?
Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.

Comments

• edited August 2019
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The more options we have the better so Yea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Don't even know what it is, but yeah, sure, why not... :)
  • edited August 2019
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think a feature like this is good for gauging your opponents in PvP
    k2U15J3.png
  • shoklen wrote: »
    Don't even know what it is, but yeah, sure, why not... :)

@shoklen Turn on and off your cosmetic skins that change the appearance of the ingame armor, weapons, and accessories.

Ahhhh Gotcha... Thanks :)
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you truly were a skilled PvPer, you wouldn't know what their armor was, but you'd notice how they behave and go for it. To have to know your enemies' armor type beforehand just says you're lazy.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• edited August 2019
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nee.

For me at least, in MMOs, one of the fun things about designing your character is showing off to others. If I make my character look like an awesome dreadlord, I want others to see that. Giving me a tool to customize my characters appearance but then also giving players the ability to hide it defeats the purpose for me. If they need to limit it in some way then cool but if you give me a system to customize my characters appearance I'd like others to see my character how I have customized it.

I might as well be modifying my local files for free instead of spending $25+ if I'm the only one who is going to be seeing it.

I don't know if I agree with the pvp argument. If the gear someone is wearing is so important to accessing them then do something like what archeage did and give them an easy to read buff that shows it. You could do something like having different appearances for the nameplate and health bar based on the gear they are wearing.
  • edited August 2019
  • edited July 2019
    Nee.

For me at least, in MMOs, one of the fun things about designing your character is showing off to others. If I make my character look like an awesome dreadlord, I want others to see that. Giving me a tool to customize my characters appearance but then also giving players the ability to hide it defeats the purpose for me. If they need to limit it in some way then cool but if you give me a system to customize my characters appearance I'd like others to see my character how I have customized it.

I might as well be modifying my local files for free instead of spending $25+ if I'm the only one who is going to be seeing it.

I don't know if I agree with the pvp argument. If the gear someone is wearing is so important to accessing them then do something like what archeage did and give them an easy to read buff that shows it. You could do something like having different appearances for the nameplate and health bar based on the gear they are wearing.

@mcstackerson I think you mean Yee. We are voting to keep the option to either show your real armor or the cosmetics from the store. I dont know about you but most of the mmos I have played have pretty bland in game armor. Think world boss drops in BDO. Armor like "dreadlord" stuff is almost always a cosmetic skin. So if you want the "option" to customize your player into a dread lord and have other see it, your vote would be Yee. If you want to look like everyone else in generic end game armor your vote would be Nee.

The switch allows you to decide whether you show cosmetics on your character or not. Think "hide helmet". Is that correct op? @TheNobleOne

No I meant disabling other peoples cosmetics. I'd want to keep mines turned off because I personally think it can be an immersion breaker. How? Look at the Harmony attire costume skin. I don't really want to see someone in that wedding outfit during a siege battle if you know what I mean. I guess the only time I'd have mines on will be during a special celebratory event of some kind idk.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm sorry, I miss understood. I'm in support of that but at the same time, I'm not sure why we need it here as cosmetics provide no in-game benefit (this isn't BDO). You might as well un-equip it if you don't want to show it.

I was talking about the option to disable everyone else's cosmetics which based off @TheNobleOne 's comment, that is what he is talking about. He doesn't want to see other people's outfits which I'm against. If I spend $25+ on a cosmetic, I want to show everyone I have it. I don't want a switch that allows people to ignore my purchase. As I said, I feel like I might as well be editing my local game files, which is free, if I'm the only one who can see it.
  • I'm sorry, I miss understood. I'm in support of that but at the same time, I'm not sure why we need it here as cosmetics provide no in-game benefit (this isn't BDO). You might as well un-equip it if you don't want to show it.

I was talking about the option to disable everyone else's cosmetics which based off @TheNobleOne 's comment, that is what he is talking about. He doesn't want to see other people's outfits which I'm against. If I spend $25+ on a cosmetic, I want to show everyone I have it. I don't want a switch that allows people to ignore my purchase. As I said, I feel like I might as well be editing my local game files, which is free, if I'm the only one who can see it.

Ahh... So you're that type of person eh? 😂 You watch me rollin with ma bling bling and I be flashin ma ka-ching ka-ching! Yh, I don't roll like that bruh...
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    I don’t think you should be able to disable the cosmetics equipped by another player. That would defeat the purpose of having cosmetics rather than just allowing mods.
  • edited August 2019
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Would have to sort through the mess that is the old forums but there was a similar thread there where they said "No, not gonna happen." There is going to be a paperdoll system that will allow you to pull those cosmetics off of your main account to apply them to specific created characters on a server. Making it so they could be an on-the-fly option would tax resources. Look at some other games that have transmog or glamour systems and give some examples where they have implemented it, and maybe they would be able to figure out an option that works for Ashes.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • edited July 2019
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I don’t think you should be able to disable the cosmetics equipped by another player. That would defeat the purpose of having cosmetics rather than just allowing mods.

You're talking as if one person disables it, everyone has to disable it but that simply isn't the case. You're going to have people that will love to see your newly acquired skin and drool over it but you're also going to have people that would rather want to keep the game immersive. If you're not immersed into game then why play at all? It simply doesn't make sense to me.
  • I was referring to a switch that effected what you show other people, not what you see other people with. To be able to disable other people's cosmetics makes them worth a shit ton less in game. I agree with @mcstackerson

What is up with you people? 😂 Why do we gotta aspire to become these showboats?
    I wonder if this would affect the full body skins like the angel and demon skins
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • edited July 2019
    nagash wrote: »
    I wonder if this would affect the full body skins like the angel and demon skins

Well since the game will be high fantasy focused, I wouldn't mind seeing skins like these under the actual protective armour. That said, I don't know how it would look if someone with the frost skin was shooting out fireballs if you know what I mean 🤔
  • edited August 2019
  • edited July 2019

Well since the game will be high fantasy focused, I wouldn't mind seeing skins like these under the actual protective armour. That said, I don't know how it would look if someone with the frost skin was shooting out fireballs if you know what I mean 🤔

@TheNobleOne Perhaps it's not a matter of a switch for you then but rather we should be having a discussion about only introducing lore friendly cosmetics into the game. Which I would be down for. Personally I'm tired of the goofy cosmetics in my game too. Fish suits etc. are pretty stupid looking. I just dont think a switch is the way to go.

Skins and costumes don't work the same do they? Skins go under your armour whereas the costumes go over the armour or have I got it all wrong? Anyways the discussion still stands, we're discussing 2 different things here
  • edited August 2019
  • edited July 2019

@TheNobleOne Perhaps it's not a matter of a switch for you then but rather we should be having a discussion about only introducing lore friendly cosmetics into the game. Which I would be down for. Personally I'm tired of the goofy cosmetics in my game too. Fish suits etc. are pretty stupid looking. I just dont think a switch is the way to go.

Omg, I had it wrong all this time... Costumes are one piece outfits... Well then... I guess the discussion is about lore friendly cosmetics afterall. Hahaha 🤣. Sorry.
    These are the only skins we have so far

ashes-of-creation-skin-890x567.jpg
    450px-Fire_and_frost.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• nagash wrote: »

450px-Fire_and_frost.png

we need so much more and we need some unique things
    it is VERY IMPORTANT for me personally to be recognized by my looks alone.
    so i always go to very great lengths (eg: grinding hardest dungeon in a game for 3 months to get a super rare staff so i could make it into the skin for my real staff that would, in turn, match my uniform)

its very important, and realistic, to have enough options to have unique styles and combinations ...
    in this day and age in such an mmo being in development like aoc its not a matter of should we have it or not THIS IS A MUST
    caedwyn wrote: »

450px-Fire_and_frost.png

so i always go to very great lengths (eg: grinding hardest dungeon in a game for 3 months to get a super rare staff so i could make it into the skin for my real staff that would, in turn, match my uniform)

its very important, and realistic, to have enough options to have unique styles and combinations ...
    in this day and age in such an mmo being in development like aoc its not a matter of should we have it or not THIS IS A MUST

well you could only get these by getting the $1000 pack so....... i don't see it happening anytime soon
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I put a skin on my character, or a costume, either of which hides my actual armor that's what I want you to see. I don't think you should be able to disable that on your end. I might come to regret this one day when Ashes is all lollipop kids wearing unicorn head pieces.

As for the PvP aspect. If you are not willing to attack someone until you know what equipment they have, you should just not attack people.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will always be players who are function over immersion and function over fashion.
    They will wear whatever they feel reaps them the most benefit.

I expect their will be Mages who mostly use Ice spells, but will also use Fire spells when that seems like the best tactic. There will be relatively few players who RP to the degree that they refuse to ever use Fire spells because they are an Ice Wizard.
    The vast majority of MMORPG gamers do not care much at all about RP or that level of immersion.
  • nagash wrote: »
    caedwyn wrote: »

450px-Fire_and_frost.png

well you could only get these by getting the $1000 pack so....... i don't see it happening anytime soon

what ?
    we cant turn in-game weapons and clothes into image items?