Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character Creation

VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
It has been said a number of times that AOC will have a character creation tool on the level of BDO if not better. What I am curious about is are there any traits or additions to appearance that you like to add or have when creating your character for the first time.

For me, I like to make my character as tall as I can and quite heavily set. I also like to have an eye patch not because of any pirate fetish but as a means of showing that he has been around and has the wounds to prove it. I also make my character appear older, weather-beaten, grey or greying hair. Other details will be different from character to character but my main usually follows these ideals when I first create a character in a new game. Perhaps this is a reflection of me as I get older.

So do others have any preferred way to model their first character in a new MMO?
3KAqRIf.png
Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.

Comments

• I am the same as you in wanting the tallest possible character. Sometimes I make them tall and with a medium build. I am also considering making a short-as-possible character also with the skinniest setting. I am wondering if it would help with PVP. I do like the eye patch idea. I hope that will be available to you in the game.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am 2m tall in real life, but always choose to play the smallest character possible. XD
    This time i am going for a lean and tall built for my rogue and bard characters ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not everyone wants their character to look like a film star with a six pack or 36-24-36 body statistics. I know for sure on of my guildies is very much hoping for a pot belly look :joy:
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I honestly don't care too much about how my character looks since I usually play with my camera zoomed out as far as possible.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess I would like a ton of hairstyles.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• HexcatHexcat Member
    edited May 2019
    I really think that the game should allow the players to take the personalization to a whole new level, maybe I'm a dreamer but I would love a Bloodborne level of character customization...
    In one Gameplay someone manage to do The Joker in that character tool I I think that was amazing even if at some point it becomes irrelevant...
    I think that the major problem for characterization will be the body type,for example if I want to have a big belly dwarf obviously it doesn't matter if my big round stomach just disappears when I put on an armor...
    giphy.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I usually build younger looking characters that appear fit. I too would like a lot of hair options with decent length customization and a lot of color options. A nice tattooing system would be cool, even though a lot of tattoos will likely be covered most of the time by armor/clothing.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • noemadnoemad Member
    edited May 2019
    varkun wrote: »
    It has been said a number of times that AOC will have a character creation tool on the level of BDO if not better. What I am curious about is are there any traits or additions to appearance that you like to add or have when creating your character for the first time.

For me, I like to make my character as tall as I can and quite heavily set. I also like to have an eye patch not because of any pirate fetish but as a means of showing that he has been around and has the wounds to prove it. I also make my character appear older, weather-beaten, grey or greying hair. Other details will be different from character to character but my main usually follows these ideals when I first create a character in a new game. Perhaps this is a reflection of me as I get older.

So do others have any preferred way to model their first character in a new MMO?

Personally I like to change my character as he goes thru the game. He\she starts out young and buff and ready to take on the world. Then as he\she advances in levels and gets closer to max level I change their appearance (that is if the game allows you to do that). Say the max level is 50. When I get a character to 25 or 30 I'll change their hairstyle, give them a few scars, etc. Once they hit 45 or 50 then I'll change the hairstyle again and make it gray or white, make the body not quite as buff, etc. I like my characters appearance to change and evolve to reflect their experiences in game. It makes them more real to me that way.
    The most extensive character creation I've experienced has be Aion. I don't think Ashes will go that far, but I'm hoping that they exceed BDO.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• aevariaevari Member
    I like to create strong looking females who are both fit and cool, or seasoned older male character. Depending on what class path I go down will ultimately affect how i make my character look

I have two character ideas for AoC;

Fighter/Tank - fit looking female/male with some muscles and scars. If male I'd like for him to be graying a bit and if female I'd like her in her prime at her early 30s of course with buff muscles (think female orc level muscles from WoW)

Mage/cleric or summoner - younger female/male. Petite, mid twenties, plain not super pretty, I'd really like to have freckles.

I do like the idea of having a missing arm (no arm or with a fake arm replacement) but i dont think it'll be that in depth.

"If you lose sight of something, the only person who can find it again is you"
  • I don't want to start anything in here, but as a black person I would love to create a black person instead of a white person in blackface. I don't want to have to manipulate a bunch of sliders either, but if I'm forced to that is better than nothing. Another thing cornrows, braids, and dreds are not the only way we wear our hair.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I hope there is a huge variety of options with the ability to have different body types (not just thin, average, and body builder) and I hope they have the ability to create old people characters.
  • AnvilAnvil Member
    Would Like to see more facial and Body control, (Not just "Types" of Bodies and Faces), The Ability to add certain growths such as Horns, Pointed Ears, a Tail, More Skin Colors, And at least some ACTUAL Military type Haircuts, (I.E. Flat Top, or "High and Tight"), as a Former Active Duty Marine this would be great to me.
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A peg leg.

I want my guy to look like he's seen action.

Or just have a serious gambling problem.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • lusiphur wrote: »
    I don't want to start anything in here, but as a black person I would love to create a black person instead of a white person in blackface. I don't want to have to manipulate a bunch of sliders either, but if I'm forced to that is better than nothing. Another thing cornrows, braids, and dreds are not the only way we wear our hair.

Agreed. I'm a white dude but I generally try to design my avatar like Sarevok Anchev from the Baldur's Gate RPG series. In BG he is protrayed as a giant human, tall and strong, and I am pretty sure he is black. Would be nice to be able to customize his appearance accordingly.

200?cb=20171010141457
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You know when people want to show skin well I want to show bone
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I was expecting a very extensive character design system (the example given was BDO), but in APOC when we got whole heads as rewards, and in the Dev Dairies they are showing whole heads, I'm getting worried.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• EvoWEvoW Member
    I want to go for an old and haggard man to sell the idea of being a cultist a bit better I guess. I'll have pale, wrinkly skin with an unkempt beard and hairdo, and have a hunch back.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    elf wrote: »
    I was expecting a very extensive character design system (the example given was BDO), but in APOC when we got whole heads as rewards, and in the Dev Dairies they are showing whole heads, I'm getting worried.
    I'm not worried. Most of the staff is from Daybreak. Even the alpha character creator in Landmark came with sliders that worked well enough that I was able to come up with a fairly close approximation to my real-life appearance (as seen in my profile pic).
    Apoc was really just focused on networking, action combat abilities and gear.
    They aren't super-concerned with providing us with char-create sliders at the moment because that's relatively easy to implement when they're ready.
    We didn't see Dwarves or Elves or Orcs in Apoc either, but there's no reason to be concerned that the game(s) won't have them at launch.
    EvoW wrote: »
    I want to go for an old and haggard man to sell the idea of being a cultist a bit better I guess. I'll have pale, wrinkly skin with an unkempt beard and hairdo, and have a hunch back.

I love that idea

Madman.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    @dygz I remember Landmark, and I currently play EQ2, so I know how those systems are; but you will notice in your account rewards (at least in mine) you got rewarded with a whole head look (mine was the Princess). I've asked but been unanswered about what it is that this head entitles me to in the MMO; am I getting the face? the hairstyle? or as noted, the complete head? So far, everything they're showing are complete heads.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I could see the heads only being something for apoc that they threw in to help them test.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, but that's still just rewards for testing. Right?
    And it's fine as a skin. It's kinda like getting an Elemental skin
    I don't really consider that to be the same thing as character create.
    And what we currently have for Apoc is bare bones - it's not really intended to be indicative of the actual character creation system.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The one from the dev diary could be nothing more than NPC skins they all have to be created too.
    3KAqRIf.png
    The one from the dev diary could be nothing more than NPC skins they all have to be created too.

I'll cross my fingers about that. I'm hoping for a very extensive character creation system. Wish it would be at the level Aion was.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I'll cross my fingers about that. I'm hoping for a very extensive character creation system. Wish it would be at the level Aion was.

I very much want an in-depth character creator, it was promised so think they will deliver.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Even if it is "Just" as in Depth as BDO it will be an outstanding Character creation experience. This is Gonna be Fun!!
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

AION had the perfect level of character creation tbh.
    Games like BDO and ArchAge took/take it too far in my opinion.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    damokles wrote: »

AION had the perfect level of character creation tbh.
    Games like BDO and ArchAge took/take it too far in my opinion.

I find having the options and not using them is better than not having them.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I really do hope the character creation is better than BDO :) If they go the route of WOW's creation where you can only have a choice of 1 out of 5 faces then it will be disappointing.
    fyet5j.png