Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Exotic weapons: What would you like to see?

2»

Comments

• skreacher wrote: »
    Can i dual wield shields? Nothing like following up a shield slam... well with another shield slam!

maxresdefault.jpg
  • nagash wrote: »
    shoklen wrote: »
    Are the potion guns (sorry launchers) only for Apoc, or will they be in the AoC as well...

well they keep saying everything will be ported over to the MMO so I would say yes

i hope not -_-
    i really hate pistols and rifles and other types of guns in a fantasy game
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    caedwyn wrote: »
    nagash wrote: »
    Are the potion guns (sorry launchers) only for Apoc, or will they be in the AoC as well...

well they keep saying everything will be ported over to the MMO so I would say yes

i hope not -_-

so did steven and yet we have the potion launcher
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2019
    caedwyn wrote: »

i hope not -_-

so did steven and yet we have the potion launcher

I'd question whether or not that actually applies to the potion launcher, honestly.

Unlike gunpowder, a potion launcher is relatively low tech. Basically just a water balloon launcher. And you can bet weapon designers would have designed such a device if they had concoctions like alchemist fire. The greeks had greek fire which utilized flamethrowers after all, so they weren't stupid when it came to designing effective delivery methods for weaponry.

However, I can see the weapons being something of a low end damage dealer, doing splash but little direct damage, having more utility for support potential (launching healing potions at allies for example).

I'd be more curious about alchemical arrows/bolts, things that splash glue or alchemist fire onto the target. There's a huge potential for versatility with bows and crossbows because of ammunition, and denying that (or rather, making it exclusive skills for rangers) kinda kills the fun of using those weapons.

So, I had a thought (back to main topic) about specialized weapons. Bards using stylish weapons like bladed/chained scarfs and war fans for example. I suspect that weapons will have particular archetypes that they are best for, but I don't believe players should be hard limited to specific weapons for specific archetypes.

I want to see Mages wielding polearms as staves for example, or wielding swords. I get that you might want mages wielding books/globes/staves to have different benefits but I'd rather AoC stepped AWAY from the generic stereotyping of weapon/class combinations and instead allow archetypes to wield any weapon and obtain some benefits for wielding that weapon, even if it's not absolutely optimal for that archetype.

I detest the path MMO developers have taken lately, where weapons/armor is a clear sign of what class any given player is. Deceit and subterfuge are major aspects of fights/battles/and warfare, and denying the players the ability to deceive opponents makes PvP boring AF IMO.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    All the talk about gunpowder weapons and potion launchers etc. Here I am, hoping for a catapult to be able to actually throw a player (aka. Me).
    Imagine it guys, late at night, a squad of suicide rogues ready themselves for the fight of their lifes. Each climbs atop a catapult and gets thrown over the enemy walls, only 2 survive the fall, one dies on the way to the castle doors and the last one activates the opening mechanism right before he dies.
    THATS HOW HEROES ARE BORN!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arzosah wrote: »
    I believe they should be in the MMO, I just hope that you can supply them with different types of potions as ammo to change their effect rather than just be the grenade launcher they are in APOC.
    I would like that as well. an ice potion freezes foes and a hex potion reduces stats
    You need an acid potion to quickly remove all that nasty flesh.
    edited August 2019
    damokles wrote: »
    All the talk about gunpowder weapons and potion launchers etc. Here I am, hoping for a catapult to be able to actually throw a player (aka. Me).
    Imagine it guys, late at night, a squad of suicide rogues ready themselves for the fight of their lifes. Each climbs atop a catapult and gets thrown over the enemy walls, only 2 survive the fall, one dies on the way to the castle doors and the last one activates the opening mechanism right before he dies.

Meh, hate to break it to ya bu~t catapults (real ones), even trebuchets, only hurled rocks that weighed about 20-40lbs. None ever even approached full grown human weight. Stories of launching dead animals over walls were more likely dead chickens or cow PARTS, not cows. And, frankly, unless it was truly rotten meat (which would endanger the soldiers launching it... hygiene was not super famous back then), you were just feeding the besieged.

It takes modern materials to actually store the necessary energy to hurl a 150+ lb object a significant distance.

Besides, imparting that kind of energy on a human would almost certainly result in death on impact. It's the exact same energy as imparted on the human by that 40lb rock being flung 600 yards into their chest. It hurts, is what I'm saying.
    wolfwood82 wrote: »

Meh, hate to break it to ya bu~t catapults (real ones), even trebuchets, only hurled rocks that weighed about 20-40lbs. None ever even approached full grown human weight.

It takes modern materials to actually store the necessary energy to hurl a 150+ lb object a significant distance.

Besides, imparting that kind of energy on a human would almost certainly result in death on impact. It's the exact same energy as imparted on the human by that 40lb rock being flung 600 yards into their chest. It hurts, is what I'm saying.

You see, that may be true in our world... BUT MAGIC M*F*CKER!
    a6XEiIf.gif

Meh, hate to break it to ya bu~t catapults (real ones), even trebuchets, only hurled rocks that weighed about 20-40lbs. None ever even approached full grown human weight.

Magic must defeat magic!

Yeah I get magic, but at the same time wouldn't said magic (which would have to be purpose designed for this specific thing) also not keep the launched people alive?

The first rule of warfare is that all rules of warfare are the first rule of warfare. So, the first rule of warfare is you never use a weapon as likely to kill the enemy as your own troops.

Magic must defeat magic!

Yeah I get magic, but at the same time wouldn't said magic (which would have to be purpose designed for this specific thing) also not keep the launched people alive?

The first rule of warfare is that all rules of warfare are the first rule of warfare. So, the first rule of warfare is you never use a weapon as likely to kill the enemy as your own troops.

We do have magic that negates fall damage, we have magic spells that let peoplehover in the air. I see no reason why we should not be able to strengthen the catapults and throw people over castle walls. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Didn't Warhammer Online have Ork-Catapults players could use? Can't remember if they ever got implemented or not.. Though they were shown in the cinematic.. heh

It makes since they didn't actually catapult diseased cow caucuses. The initial G-force could rip apart the body effectively aerosoling the disease of the decaying body while spreading offal (internal body parts) all over your own troops...
    Didn't Warhammer Online have Ork-Catapults players could use? Can't remember if they ever got implemented or not.. Though they were shown in the cinematic.. heh

It makes since they didn't actually catapult diseased cow caucuses. The initial G-force could rip apart the body effectively aerosoling the disease of the decaying body while spreading offal (internal body parts) all over your own troops...

yes. yes they did ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I want warscythes

ZXo6Z3f.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019

Magic must defeat magic!

We do have magic that negates fall damage, we have magic spells that let peoplehover in the air. I see no reason why we should not be able to strengthen the catapults and throw people over castle walls. :D

1411698314907.jpg

volunteer_moderator.gif
    I want warscythes

ZXo6Z3f.jpg

Oh god, yes please!
    a6XEiIf.gif
    latest?cb=20161018204237
    6ec87333da19197768397a2bf4bf815d.jpg
    hXh8Xdy.jpg
    sSPu8b4.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    Brass knuckles or variants similar to that. Make them work like daggers if you'd like, but the aesthetics of some fist weapons on a melee focused cleric sounds fun to me.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Brass knuckles or variants similar to that. Make them work like daggers if you'd like, but the aesthetics of some fist weapons on a melee focused cleric sounds fun to me.

I'm personally not a big fan of fight weapons in games because in order for them to stand out enough to even see them you have to make them really really big.

molten-fury.png

Like this.
    volunteer_moderator.gif

I'm personally not a big fan of fight weapons in games because in order for them to stand out enough to even see them you have to make them really really big.

molten-fury.png

Like this.

They could go for a katar.

Ornamental_katar.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited August 2019
    Katar raises the question of....
    Pata-1-Archit-Patel.jpg

The SWORD GAUNTLET!
    Katar raises the question of....
    Pata-1-Archit-Patel.jpg

The SWORD GAUNTLET!

You raise me a sword gauntlet:

I RAISE YOU THE SWORD GUN!
    article-2244080-1660D212000005DC-311_634x422.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im down for a trident and net !
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    Hmmm.. Fist weapons.. daggers/rouge like weapons.. some kind of monk staves. I have a lot of other ideas but I doubt they're that practical lol
    Poko.png
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    branegames wrote: »
    A chakram

While Kunoichi is my fav class in BDO, I like FFXIV Dancer's Chakram a bit more. You get to throw them more, instead of swinging it.
    edited August 2019
    Poko wrote: »
    Hmmm.. Fist weapons.. daggers/rouge like weapons.. some kind of monk staves. I have a lot of other ideas but I doubt they're that practical lol

Did you.... Did you just write "rouge"? We are rogues, not makeup! ;')
    I really llike the idea to craft some staves to buff agility etc, playing a Daredevil Thief in GW2 currently and i always liked the idea.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    would a book clad in bone and skin count

cd03b-tumblr_nam6wvgxns1tfi2fdo1_400.gif?w=320&h=240

nJ0vUSm.gif

• A Yo-Yo Weapon could be fun....
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    Damokles wrote: »
    Poko wrote: »

Did you.... Did you just write "rouge"? We are rogues, not makeup! ;')
    I really llike the idea to craft some staves to buff agility etc, playing a Daredevil Thief in GW2 currently and i always liked the idea.

ahahahah!!! I didn't even catch that lol! too good!!
    Poko.png