Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will we be able to have npc children?

I was wondering if there would be in-game marriage and possibly having children with another player?

Comments

• In game marriage - Yes (regardless of gender)
    NPC Children - Nothing has been said but I seriously doubt it...
    giphy.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This was discussed back on the old forums and in a game with actionable emotes leads to all sorts of bad behavior. All Intrepid needs is a bad video out their circulating to go viral and the fun train stops. Since they have said they want to go for T rating vs M not likely to see child npcs. People will do stupid shit, just to do stupid shit. I know that this is a mod, but here is just one of many examples that caused the Xtian right wing "Them video games is to blame for my kid being a vicious psychopath!" to lose their shit and call for legislation.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7_ODBxDFy0Y://
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Its a shame that some people have to ruin things for other people by being stupid.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SWTOR had a /weld emote that had people take a knee, reach out with both hands at waist level, and bob their head up and down while they actioned it out. After people got creative with putting their crotches at the right point and making videos of simulated oral they had to remove it. Developers give you the shinies, then people pervert their intent. Happens in every game. ERP Goldshire anyone?
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At least one of my characters would have so many illegitimate kids running about. I bet I could spawn enough to reach at least 10% of a local population easy.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    Might see children in the city, but to have your own child.. I don't think so.
    Just have to stick with treating your pets as your children. :wink:
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SWTOR had a /weld emote that had people take a knee, reach out with both hands at waist level, and bob their head up and down while they actioned it out. After people got creative with putting their crotches at the right point and making videos of simulated oral they had to remove it. Developers give you the shinies, then people pervert their intent. Happens in every game. ERP Goldshire anyone?

Sad but true. I honestly don't understand why some people think that sort of thing is funny or "cool". "look at this guys, it looks like I'm having sex in a video game, hur hur hur"

sigh.....
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2019
    They mentioned NPC children in one of the live streams. Their stance was that it wasn't really feasible, and it would stretch into grey areas such as having orphans left over after a siege.
  • SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter

Sad but true. I honestly don't understand why some people think that sort of thing is funny or "cool". "look at this guys, it looks like I'm having sex in a video game, hur hur hur"

sigh.....

Kids are having trouble with their hormones at age 14-18. They aren't harming anyone when doing those things but it has some negative effects on the rest of the community with these vids.
    I'm not saying it's okay but I can understand why they do it because I've done stupid things like that when I was young. (and that makes me cringe now)
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • toshitotoshito Member, Intrepid Pack
    Well is the player can adopt a child npc, perhaps put the children in a way that are immune to attacks and other stuff? Idk
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

sigh.....

Kids are having trouble with their hormones at age 14-18. They aren't harming anyone when doing those things but it has some negative effects on the rest of the community with these vids.
    I'm not saying it's okay but I can understand why they do it because I've done stupid things like that when I was young. (and that makes me cringe now)

Would it be cliche of me to blame the failing education system on this?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I think the lore is children are kept on the other side of the divine gates for safety, so you'd have babies then they'd be taken to a boarding school in your races safe space literally! =p
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    Yeah - supposedly everyone returning to Verra through the portal is the best of the best heroes.
  • If you have children, wouldn't it be highly irresponsible to go out adventuring and raiding? You'll have to stay home and raise goats... which I guess you could do... heh
  • I’d honestly rather see AoC be M just so the audience stays a somewhat mature. It certainly doesn’t need nudity and such built in, but I don’t see why we should have to restrict the flexibility of emotes and more sensitive content to cater to the “family friendly” expectation of a T rating.

That being said, I definitely don’t wanna see that many kids running around.
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d honestly rather see AoC be M just so the audience stays a somewhat mature. It certainly doesn’t need nudity and such built in, but I don’t see why we should have to restrict the flexibility of emotes and more sensitive content to cater to the “family friendly” expectation of a T rating.

hahahahahahaha oh my, do you really think that having an M rating on a game is going to stop children from playing it? Also I'd like to point out that just because someone is an "adult" doesn't mean they are mature.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d honestly rather see AoC be M just so the audience stays a somewhat mature. It certainly doesn’t need nudity and such built in, but I don’t see why we should have to restrict the flexibility of emotes and more sensitive content to cater to the “family friendly” expectation of a T rating.

hahahahahahaha oh my, do you really think that having an M rating on a game is going to stop children from playing it? Also I'd like to point out that just because someone is an "adult" doesn't mean they are mature.

? Of course it won’t stop minors from playing, but it will allow IS to include more robust emotes and delve into more complex, possibly darker themes without a scandal about “potential inappropriate emoting” in a T rated game

? Of course it won’t stop minors from playing, but it will allow IS to include more robust emotes and delve into more complex, possibly darker themes without a scandal about “potential inappropriate emoting” in a T rated game

Ok but....why? Would adding in "more robust emotes" and putting in darker themes improve the game at all?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's nice to have some darker plots here and there, especially for clerics dedicated to evil gods.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Caeryl wrote: »

Ok but....why? Would adding in "more robust emotes" and putting in darker themes improve the game at all?

I never said they would have to get into anything nitty gritty, but they’d have the option to. By more robust emotes, I mean they could create emotes without having to give any thought about getting flak for allowing a push-up emote while near someone laying down, or a fanciful whirling dance around any vertical object.

The T rating may end up being restrictive over juvenile issues. It might be that things get removed just because someone could put it in an inappriate context.
  • blade82001 wrote: »
    I was wondering if there would be in-game marriage and possibly having children with another player?

*points* Second Life is thataway. Try not to get any furry on ya.

Unless that's your thing, in which case have at it, just don't expect me to watch.
  • PookaPooka Member, Intrepid Pack
    If @Pooka could have an in-game child, it would not be good. @Pooka would end up beating it with a stick and using it as cannon fodder.
    Pooka.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pooka wrote: »
    If @Pooka could have an in-game child, it would not be good. @Pooka would end up beating it with a stick and using it as cannon fodder.
    Put it on a stick and poke it out from behind a rock to draw fire.

Hhak63P.png
  • U

Do you mean would it be cliche of me to blame th failing education system for this?

Yes and since kids have been hormonal at those ages far longer than there have been educational systems, it would also be inaccurate. What it would be is ironic.

All be it unintentionally so. 😜
  • Why NPC, what about PC children...
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shoklen wrote: »
    Why NPC, what about PC children...

Wouldnt that be a tad creepy? :'D

Imagine:
    *middle aged man voice in a little girls body*
    "Please Daddy, give me some pocket money!"
    "No Daddy not there!"

*shudders*
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    blade82001 wrote: »
    Its a shame that some people have to ruin things for other people by being stupid.

Welcome to Planet Earth, where we can't have nice things!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2019

sigh.....

I think you'd have a tall order on your hands just trying to explain how it's "the failing education system"'s fault.

Yes, yes it would.

Going for a T rating is kinda dumb. Online interactions should not be rated, and it should be up to parents whether they want their kids exposed to whatever it is they are going to be exposed to. TBH though, the rating systems in general are dumb. They assume the ratings are 100% accurate, that all parents are going to understand the best and worst case scenarios for each rating, and that parents understand what their children are exposed too to begin with.

And as mentioned before, careful consideration of what players might do with videos is all but pointless. You give players a thing, they are going to do all kinds of perverted things. It's why you don't bring black lights into hotel rooms. Just... don't...
  • Ratings are crazy and there are very few rules in which they follow for their (rating companies) own ratings. Check out "Adam Ruins Everything" Episode for tv and movie ratings.. Very interesting..

I mean, terror groups could log into a game, setup a chat channel and talk till the moon turns blue.. Should the game be rated for such use?

With freedom of use, tools and systems.. comes irresponsible used of such things.. Only way to stop it from happening is to not have such systems.. No chat in a mmo game? That isn't going to happen as it is one of the foundation systems of such a platform.
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I play games to get away from marriage and kids. Next thing is bringing in a 9-5 and a mortgage.