Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A Noble Steed - Creation of the Horse

2019_08_09_Horses_Thumbnail_JPG.jpg?h=250

“I still remember those days. The rain battered us incessantly, and the air was filled with the sounds of clambering hooves against the mud and dirt.” - Captain of the Kaelar’s 3rd Rider Battalion

Read the captain’s log, and check out our creation video: https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2019-08-09-a-noble-steed
marketing.gif

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In other news.
    "Lick an orange. It tastes like an orange. The strawberries taste like strawberries! The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!"
    Horses look great, now to pair them with a class video and show people riding them in what is obviously not the mushed together assets of the BR map to win back hearts and minds.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NarysNarys Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Loved the video and a glimpse at the animal husbandry details!
    wtmb2cxjbyas.gif
  • SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    In other news.
    "Lick an orange. It tastes like an orange. The strawberries taste like strawberries! The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!"
    Horses look great, now to pair them with a class video and show people riding them in what is obviously not the mushed together assets of the BR map to win back hearts and minds.

Atleast for now they show it in a map and not just in the program itself. Makes it a lot nicer to see.

Looking forward to the special variations in horses! New goal: breed horses. Yay!
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Love the animation and the body but do the heads look odd to anyone else?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    <3
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Very nice. Well done to all involved.
    Still not Huskies tho :(
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • SolunaSoluna Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I´m still waiting for my penguin as well :'(
    Soluna_signature.png
  • BerrosBerros Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    More than blown away! Wow, great work. Can not wait to explore Verra.
  • DayuhanDayuhan Member
    edited August 2019
    Nagash wrote: »

The heads seem alright, but I think what is throwing you off is the static nature of their manes. When the horse is shaking its head the mane remains flat against the neck. Even while running, jumping, falling, the mane remains exactly in place. The only time we see any movement at all with the mane is when the horse is standing still and the "breeze" blows the tips of the mane. This lack of mane movement draws the eyes to the head neck area, because it is out of sync with the kinetics for the rest of the horses body.

You may also be thrown off if you are used to seeing the heads of show, or race, horses. These horses are bred to be streamlined. Horses in the wild have larger heads than those bred for racing or horse shows.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dayuhan wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

The heads seem alright, but I think what is throwing you off is the static nature of their manes. When the horse is shaking its head the mane remains flat against the neck. Even while running, jumping, falling, the mane remains exactly in place. The only time we see any movement at all with the mane is when the horse is standing still and the "breeze" blows the tips of the mane. This lack of mane movement draws the eyes to the head neck area, because it is out of sync with the kinetics for the rest of the horses body.

You may also be thrown off if you are used to seeing the heads of show, or race, horses. These horses are bred to be streamlined. Horses in the wild have larger heads than those bred for racing or horse shows.

I think its a case of the uncanny valley. the heads look normal but there is just something in my mind that says that's wrong.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • BeorBeor Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    Looking really good. I can't wait to see some of the mobs/bosses.
  • The fact that the guy loses his horse in the lore tidbit makes me so sad. :'(

Tbh I'm going to grow too attached to my horses in this game just like how I did in Minecraft when they were first added.
  • As a horse owner, I would say the head looks alright. After all, they do look like they are based on mustangs, and they did a pretty decent job. One thing they seem to have totally forgotten is their ears. They flop around alot, listening for stuff, predators, your voice. Its how they signal that they're tired, angry, or excited. The horses feels so plain because basically the only thing they do is having their ears pointed forward. Also, for the love of god, horses don't open their mouths when they run. x.x Gallop isn't the best, but to not be done of horse people, I would say they did pretty well!