Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Raiding zones

I would love to see raiding zones / instances that are accessible once a week or so. They must be designed for 20-24 players, best example would be what they have in EQ2. This was the best way to build comaredery and work together on taking down big bosses with end of game rewards that you can't get anywhere else. Also every tier would need to have a few different raiding zones so that everyone can enjoy raiding no matter what level you are. Final boss could be giving a title and end of game weapon that you could upgrade by defeating next tier end boss. Armor and weapons received from raiding bosses should only be attainable in raiding zones and they must be good looking and recognizable depending on a raiding zone or maybe tier. Full sets of armor with bonuses if you have completed or cleared the whole raiding zone. Raiding zones should be accessible only if you have enough people in your raid and they gotta be instance style so that you are not competing with other guilds on who is going to snatch a boss first.

Comments

• Agreed...
  • Im big on raiding both open world and instanced raiding. I like the idea of a raid zone that isn't instanced but boss rooms being instanced so that players could helath each other make its way to the boss rooms but only a set number of people could engage. This would allow for more mechanic driven fights without the zerg mentality.
  • I can't say I really agree with this...

I'm not a fan of arbitrary player numbers for content to be tuned around... I'd much rather see open-world threats that are what they are!

If a band of 100 monkey-cows can running thorough the village, there would be large numbers but chances are they wouldn't be very strong. On the other hand, if an ice giant from the north came stomping through, there might be just one of him... but oh my, is he a problem!

From there, it's up to the local government and residents of the node to rise up the necessary forces to defeat the foe... but that number should be based on their assessment of the threat. If they want to zerg it, then they can (though hopefully there will be mechanics in place to help those fights...)

And don't forget, if some monster comes stomping through the town I helped build and live in... other players might be more interested in an adjacent node, and see this monster invasion as an opportunity for the moment of chaos they've been looking for to overthrow and destroy the node to build up their own! :)

TL, DR; I'd like to see a world more of cause and effect and dynamism rather than hard, fast, defined "gamey" levels and monsters.
  • I am 100% against instanced raiding, heck instancing in general this is suppose to be putting the mm into the mmorpg. Not some massive single player with other people running around. There are multiple ways that your concerns of tagging the bosses first can be addressed. Lets make raiding epic again.
  • Since when was a combat group made of every player online at once ?
    MMO = group only is a myth propagated by those defending their preferred play style.
    Massive Mutiplayer just means their are masses of people playing together.
    Not as one large group, not as individuals, not even as large opposing groups, or 100s of 4 man groups.
    It simply means an online community game, regardless of content and the group size numbers required for it if any.

The only requirement for an MMO = a community game
    and community games must be inclusive of everyone, not exclusive of certain playstyles.
  • i found this on the Answered Questions on Discord thread <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/answered-questions-on-discord-qa-extended-somewhat/" target="_blank">Found Here</a>

Q: Will there be instanced dungeons and raid content that will require a set of amount of players to follow mechanics properly to defeat, or will it be more open world where you can go in with any amount of players?
    A: Both. As it stands now, many dungeons in the world have an open world component, with several instance access points that parties can participate in. We want to maintain the open world feel while being able to capitalize on the benefits of instanced mechanics. We will go into more depth in a blog soon.
  • [quote quote=2165]Since when was a combat group made of every player online at once ?
    MMO = group only is a myth propagated by those defending their preferred play style.
    Massive Mutiplayer just means their are masses of people playing together.
    Not as one large group, not as individuals, not even as large opposing groups, or 100s of 4 man groups.
    It simply means an online community game, regardless of content and the group size numbers required for it if any.

The only requirement for an MMO = a community game
    and community games must be inclusive of everyone, not exclusive of certain playstyles.

[/quote]
    Couldn't agree more, well stated.