Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Creation on Steam? (APOC)

Rem_Rem_ Member
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Just wondering your thoughts on this decision, I didn't see much on it myself and was kind of confused when I saw APOC would be on steam. I mean I'm happy because that is my launcher of choice, and it makes things a lot easier and will bring more people to the game inevitably. I am just curious as to why they made this decision, maybe for more exposure ? I'm not sure myself but I'd be happy to hear what you guys think! <3
Poko.png

Comments

• Well aside from in house launchers like origin, it’s basically steam or the new epic launcher. Seeing as how the epic launcher caters only to developers and is total cancer from the player POV, I’m vastly in favor of it being on steam. In my book this is good news.
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    Well aside from in house launchers like origin, it’s basically steam or the new epic launcher. Seeing as how the epic launcher caters only to developers and is total cancer from the player POV, I’m vastly in favor of it being on steam. In my book this is good news.

Yea same! I'm happy to have it on steam and see Intrepid not taking a deal with Epic or something. Steam is way more established even if it has it's fair share of problems ! I'm very happy to hear this!
    Poko.png
  • beardobeardo Member, Intrepid Pack
    Won’t steam make multiboxing impossible anyone know?
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    beardo wrote: »

Well, they said that only one (1) intrepid account will be able to connect with one (1) steam account.
    People would have to create additional accounts for steam and intrepid, but multiboxing should still exist.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • RaytekuRayteku Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    beardo wrote: »

@beardo
    Steam is not required either though so you can still multibox if you really wanted to with the standard launcher from the website.
    Poko wrote: »
    Just wondering your thoughts on this decision, I didn't see much on it myself and was kind of confused when I saw APOC would be on steam. I mean I'm happy because that is my launcher of choice, and it makes things a lot easier and will bring more people to the game inevitably. I am just curious as to why they made this decision, maybe for more exposure ? I'm not sure myself but I'd be happy to hear what you guys think! <3

@Poko
    I would say its on steam of the user numbers so they can hopefully push the servers to the limit and go beyond...Plus Ultra!!
  • NarysNarys Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I think that it could be a good thing if it allows Intrepid to truly stress the servers. But it does present another precedent in terms of previous statements being changed which can be a slippery slope, particularly when it comes to Pay2Win, the MMO not being on Steam etc.
    wtmb2cxjbyas.gif
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    APOC is first and foremost a matchmaking game.
    Steam is great for that format.
    I see no issues here.
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gubstep wrote: »
    APOC is first and foremost a matchmaking game.
    Steam is great for that format.
    I see no issues here.

I tend to agree with this overall.

Steam will be great exposure, and they only take a cut (30% I believe) of what's earned on their platform, so the only monetary hit will be from what people spent in Apoc not from the funding for the MMO.

There's going to be a few speed bumps,but ultimately, it's not a move I'm particularly worried by.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    I've seen some hate for Steam on this forum but I don't understand why. It's exposure and stress testing. Sure it costs IS money but it's apoc and not aoc so it doens't matter much does it?
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've seen some hate for Steam on this forum but I don't understand why. It's exposure and stress testing. Sure it costs IS money but it's apoc and not aoc so it doens't matter much does it?

Where do you see any hate towards steam in the forum? I didnt read any of that....
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • The mmo won't be on steam

I recall reading they did it, to get it out to more people

I don't have a problem with it. It can help out with the mmo as well
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Narys wrote: »
    Personally I think that it could be a good thing if it allows Intrepid to truly stress the servers. But it does present another precedent in terms of previous statements being changed which can be a slippery slope, particularly when it comes to Pay2Win, the MMO not being on Steam etc.

Yes, if steam brings in more players then it will help with the stress tests. It sounds like a valid decision for Intrepid to make....

... And yet, something about this worries me. I can't put my finger on it and it may be just paranoia but this decision feels like a bad thing in the long run.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Damokles wrote: »

Where do you see any hate towards steam in the forum? I didnt read any of that....

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42870/steam-announce-and-play-test-faq-for-ashes-of-creation-apocalypse#latest
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    First they backtrack on self-publishing and now they backtrack on steam. what's next is the game going p2w
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If there is pay to win you can probably argue a strong legal case.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    First they backtrack on self-publishing and now they backtrack on steam. what's next is the game going p2w

Didn't you hear?

Naw im just kidding.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    I doubt it will go p2w but I guess I can see why it's on steam. If JUST APOC is going to be on steam, and it can stand on it's own as a product I don't have any problems with it. Besides what I've heard about people being mad it's anything more than JUST a testing ground.
    Poko.png
  • flatlineflatline Member, Founder
    I'm not happy about it. I have several logical reasons why but they might be seen as trolling and oppress my opinion so I'll plea the 5th for now and see where this train or train wreck takes us..

• Not sure why... but I read the subject line as "Ashes of Creation Swim team?"....
  • nurce1998nurce1998 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Apoc is only going to be open for 12 hours?

1 day of testing and that’s it?
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Q: When can I play Ashes of Creation Apocalypse?

A: This limited test session is from 11AM PDT to 11PM PDT on Tuesday, August 20, 2019. You may experience intermittent downtime during this window as we test or adjust network infrastructure - the best way to keep up with our current server status during the play test is to join the discussion on our official Discord!
    Q: Can I level up my Adventurer’s Path during this limited test session?

A: As mentioned above, there will be a shorter “Test Compendium” during this playtest, with an Adventurer’s Path and Legendary Path that only contain XP-related rewards. This Compendium is meant to help us test the leveling and item receipt feature in an accelerated way. You will be able to continue making progress towards the items from your previous Adventurer’s Path in an upcoming playtest.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
    That doesn’t seem like enough time. They should keep it open longer than that. There’s people who have never heard of the game that will see it available. And will only be able to play it for a few hours.

What a shame.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is a well known sales technique called the "Reluctant Virgin"
    Does this mean apoc is no longer just a test? if its standalone at this point prepare for reive bombs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    When do you think the next test will be? In a couple months? For a 12 hour period.
    When do you think the next test will be? In a couple months? For a 12 hour period.

Do you mean castle sieges? if so we have no idea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

APOC was never going to be just a test bed. This next technique is called slow boiling a frog. If you slowly increase the temperature it just sits there till it is cooked. Too fast and it jumps out. They are going to try for some of that sweet BR money over on Steam. Somebody really pushed hard for this back at home base and they are going for it. Funny thing is, they missed the BR curve by around 6 months. Making it be its own standalone product is just going to confuse people more. They not worried about pissing us off, they got our cash for the mmo. Now it is all about padding that nest egg.
    APOC was never going to be just a test bed. This next technique is called slow boiling a frog. If you slowly increase the temperature it just sits there till it is cooked. Too fast and it jumps out. They are going to try for some of that sweet BR money over on Steam. Somebody really pushed hard for this back at home base and they are going for it. Funny thing is, they missed the BR curve by around 6 months. Making it be its own standalone product is just going to confuse people more. They not worried about pissing us off, they got our cash for the mmo. Now it is all about padding that nest egg.

At this point the MMO better be good or Intrepid will become the new EA of mmos
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I’m just pissed because this is the only MMO on my radar. Crowfall sucks, project TL will suck, last oasis is terrible, Ascent:infinite realm looks bad. Any others?
    I really don’t want to go back to Aion :(
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    Nagash wrote: »

At this point the MMO better be good or Intrepid will become the new EA of mmos

Oh I hope not. Have you seen the latest bullshit EA have come up with for Apex Legends? Geez it's like they are oblivious to the players feedback at all.

In all honesty though I feel really sorry for the people who actually work on some of these games. Most of these big companies are run by businessmen who only care about getting as much money as possible. So you have them on the one hand and then the players (who typically want the best deal possible) on the other. The people who actually make the games are stuck in the middle like some sick twisted tug-o-war.

I really hope Ashes doesn't turn out like that and that they can just keep their greed in check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K52o6wqpOlM
    volunteer_moderator.gif