Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What makes a good MMORPG?

granthorgranthor Member
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I am going to drop this video here, cause I mainly agree with the guy. But we can discuss what was said in the video, or just give your opinion on the topic. (warning there is some bad language at times) Thx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqmMCxFYSo

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the majority of these. The only thing I would add would be great lore
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    Asking "what makes a good mmorpg" is like asking "what makes a good person". We all have a set of ideals on what the perfect mmorpg would be like, but since this is entirely subjective it's impossible to have an mmorpg that covers everything.

To me, a good mmorpg is a "lifestyle" game. It's a game where you want to spend all your free time playing it, and whenever you aren't playing it you are thinking about playing it. This effect can be achieved in many different ways and some mmorpgs do it better than others.

That said I would like to point out that a lot of games these days try to achieve this through skinner box techniques. The result is a game where players are compelled to play every day even when they don't want to. It's a very subtle difference that is sometimes hard to tell apart. A good mmorpg gets players to keep playing through sheer enjoyment and social interactions, whereas a skinner box mmorpg gets players to keep playing for the rewards and dopamine hits.
    volunteer_moderator.gif