Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Anyone else feel its time to jump ship?

torkel56torkel56 Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
First of I had big hopes for this game, and I jump on the summer founding. I have bought some small thing here and there, so I have spendt some money one this.

But now I feel its time to take a step back. I like action combat and i was hoping for action combat for Ashes. When it came I tought it was awful. But it was early and things would change.

When first Apoc came I tought ok this can be fun for an hour or so, and a good platform for testing action combat.

Well now that its been a year, and the action combat is still awful and we are still testing in apoc. I know they are saying that apoc testing is also testing for the mmorpg. But this is gone to far for me now. The people want to test what they came here for.
I at least dont want to run around in a BG and test action combat anymore.

I can not see where this is going.. I have lost the believe that the action combat will be good. They went for a more shooter BG style for the combat and its not good.

A year after Apoc testing started they have been using time on fixing the map and get up Invis wall were people used to get throught.

Stop this now please. I am a action combat guy, but its just not going to happen. Focus on tab targeting and get that as good as possible, and for the love of MMORPG start testing the RPG part! We are closing in on the end of 2019, this was originaly the goal for the release of the game, and they havent even manage to start testing the mmorpg by the end of 2019.

I am now starting to worry that this wount happen.

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sure. Jump ship if you want to.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not really no.
    I am just a bit disappointed that they seemingly rushed the teaser. They should have taken their time, this is a big first impression for people, but it didnt encurrage me to "jump ship".
    The ship does not exist really at the moment, it is only a concept, with a few early prototypes. We will have to see how the shipwrights build it the right way. ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • torkel56 wrote: »
    this was originaly the goal for the release of the game
    But it isn't anymore and hasn't been for about 6 months now. Adjust your expectations to reality or you will be disappointed.

You're already expecting fleshed out action combat in a game / testing ground that has just been brought back to primarily test server performance. Let them give Apoc a stable scaffolding before they get to the actual game mechanics.

Yet after all if you don't like what you see or think you'll never be able to like it, take a step back. Just make sure to have proper expectations of what's actually possible at the moment.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dont feel it is time to jump ship...

I do feel it is time for the Alpha One participants to start testing the MMORPG.
  • torkel56torkel56 Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    c0ug4r wrote: »
    torkel56 wrote: »
    this was originaly the goal for the release of the game
    But it isn't anymore and hasn't been for about 6 months now. Adjust your expectations to reality or you will be disappointed.

You're already expecting fleshed out action combat in a game / testing ground that has just been brought back to primarily test server performance. Let them give Apoc a stable scaffolding before they get to the actual game mechanics.

Yet after all if you don't like what you see or think you'll never be able to like it, take a step back. Just make sure to have proper expectations of what's actually possible at the moment.

Well I did. I didnt expect a release, but I expected to at least have an announcement on when a test for the mmorpg would start.
  • NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Not at all in my opinion...

A lot of people are just expecting way too much from a game in PRE Alpha stage. We usually don't see anything until way into Alpha/Beta stages from other projects. Steven decided (for better or worse) to go with an transparent development route and that is the reason we are seeing what we are seeing.

Although I do believe they rushed the last teaser and that it was a mistake, I am of the understanding that all companies make mistakes. What I hope is that they have taken our feedback into consideration and learn from it.

so, if you wanna jump ship, go ahead. Although my advise would be to take a step back for a while while Intrepid continues their development and come back when there's a more substantial product in place to test. Then you are in a better positoin to decide whether to jump ship or not.
    giphy.gif
  • nurce1998nurce1998 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the BR is a lot of fun. And the fighting mechanics are pretty solid. Maybe they could use some better controls to make it easier.
  • torkel56 wrote: »
    I expected to at least have an announcement on when a test for the mmorpg would start.
    • We know for half a year now, IS will only give us dates if they're sure they can meet them.
    • We know for about a year now, alpha testing for the MMORPG will have to wait till after Apoc is complete with all its three modes.
    • We know Apoc just came back for first testing after the rework of the backend. All the basics (server performance, graphics,...) aside looking at solo, duo and squad we're seeing BR isn't even half way playable at the moment. We have two more modes to come for Apoc which is Castle Sieges and Horde Mode.
    I'm not having any expectations, but my guess would be for Apoc to see all three modes in early 2020. Considering all we've seen so far this to me seems realistic and hoping for an MMORPG testing before mid 2020 would be optimistic. But that's just my guess and even if it came later I wouldn't care - I can wait.
    Of course we could not have seen this 1.5 years ago, but every time things did change we could adjust our expectations. A lot of people don't do that and thus feel disappointed. I'm not saying it's their fault alone - IS claiming to release before 2020 is a perfect example for fueling expectations that couldn't keep up with reality - but just keep track of what's actually happening and you can set proper expectations accordingly.

• torkel56torkel56 Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Hmm might just be me then, I just dont see the hype anymore. When the news came out that they were making Ashes. It was talked about alot and it had a lot of PR, if I just goes of views now it just seems like its more or less dead. (Twitch, youtube )

I just dont see how they can make the cash to keep this going to were they want it. Based on how far they have come in the last year, it will take years before they are were they want to be.

But I might just be worried over nothing.. I just have to join the wait and see group.

Have fun testing Apocs :D
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    You're worried that there isn't enough hype for a game that is still 18 - 24 months from release?

Umm, ok?
  • If you’re not comfortable engaging with the full development process, which is not and has never been pretty, then perhaps you should take a step back.

People familiar with any sort of design process know that polish comes last. Most people are used to seeing a game only when it’s in the polishing stage. This open communication is unfamiliar to people, and can be jarring to those who’ve never really engaged with a game before launch day.
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    torkel56 wrote: »
    First of I had big hopes for this game, and I jump on the summer founding. I have bought some small thing here and there, so I have spendt some money one this.

But now I feel its time to take a step back. I like action combat and i was hoping for action combat for Ashes. When it came I tought it was awful. But it was early and things would change.

When first Apoc came I tought ok this can be fun for an hour or so, and a good platform for testing action combat.

Well now that its been a year, and the action combat is still awful and we are still testing in apoc. I know they are saying that apoc testing is also testing for the mmorpg. But this is gone to far for me now. The people want to test what they came here for.
    I at least dont want to run around in a BG and test action combat anymore.

I can not see where this is going.. I have lost the believe that the action combat will be good. They went for a more shooter BG style for the combat and its not good.

A year after Apoc testing started they have been using time on fixing the map and get up Invis wall were people used to get throught.

Stop this now please. I am a action combat guy, but its just not going to happen. Focus on tab targeting and get that as good as possible, and for the love of MMORPG start testing the RPG part! We are closing in on the end of 2019, this was originaly the goal for the release of the game, and they havent even manage to start testing the mmorpg by the end of 2019.

I am now starting to worry that this wount happen.

You joined the forums at about 11am today...

So~ yeah...

Troll.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    wolfwood82 wrote: »

You joined the forums at about 11am today...

So~ yeah...

Troll.

Obviously someone who was banned, made a dummy email and rejoined. If he had a Summer package he would have his badge displayed. Hopefully they will do what they normally do, track his original account down because people are lazy that way and leave plenty of clues, and remove his package access for ban evading and shit-stirring.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • A game takes a long time to make. If you think it is so easy and goes fast, why don't you make a game...
    They had to completely rebuild a major part of the game, which is why they had to postpone the release of the game. That has been said. The stupidity of some people
  • Nah, I don't think its time to jump ship, far from it. I still think the MMO is going to be fun and am excited to see what the end product is going to be.

I am disappointed at their marketing communication, but that has been an ongoing issue with IS for a while now. They need to start really getting their messages clear if they are going to be showing stuff off at conventions or releasing stuff on outside sites and clean up the confusion between what AoC is going to be and what APOC is for those that might not have been following the game.
  • HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Was the last apoc test that occurred on the 20th where they showed the combat they wanted to implement on launch? I couldn't participate because of my work schedule but the game isn't even in alpha yet, apoc is literally pre-alpha, they mentioned before it's just to test and get their assets ready so alpha isn't a disaster and that's where I believe we'll see the most changes as time goes on after that point.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    @Heartbeat The combat in APOC is all action based. They have said that the MMO combat will be a mix and match of action and tab targetting that they are billing "hybrid" You will have certain abilities that are action, certain that are tab and you will be able to populate your action bar with a max of 75/25 either way. So in answer to your question. No, that is not the combat in the mmo, but a portion of it with faster time to kill and weapons triggering abilities instead of class archetypes.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm one of the most critical people on the forums, and I have disagreed with intrepid many times, but I just can't let go of ashes. In the end of all the problems, I can still see what ashes will become and thats why I stay.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is an obvious fake account made to either hide the person's true identity or because their account was banned.

Either way, bye.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • WreynaWreyna Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With what we're seeing with the Apocalypse, it gives me a lot of hope they will get the combat right for the MMO. I am more than happy with them spending any time necessary on getting the combat right, because it will make or break people playing the MMO if it doesn't feel right or isn't fun.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nope!
    Hanging in. B)
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Not time.. Not yet..

Nothing else has caught my fancy.. No place to jump ship tooo..
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is quite honestly no other MMO on the horizon that I am aware of that even comes close to what Ashes will offer game play wise. If they can deliver on that and show the potential of it through Alpha 1 and onward I will not be going anywhere.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    It takes a long time to develop a game, especially a MMORPG and this is a very ambitious title, the direction is in what they've told us they are aiming to develop, I invested in the game during kickstarter because I believed in and wanted what they were aiming for, as someone who has grown up playing MMO's and I love that this game is being developed by gamers and people who have a passion for the genre. This is the only MMORPG coming any time soon, so if anything I am just looking forward to it more than ever.
  • perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited August 2019
    You jumped too early. (Fleet has been destroyed!)
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    No.
    fNX2ISa.png

• akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    No; that's just stupid at this stage.

• EvoWEvoW Member
    I am lurking around still because I want to see where they take it, but I am verrry skeptical for sure. I don't see anything that gives this game a sense of true personality yet. Sure, we got the Pheonix logo and the whole node system trade mark, but everything just feels so lifeless and uninspired in what we have seen. I don't see very much direction either, though I am willing to bet they are scrambling to sort out all of the issues with the engine given how they put out some delays.
    I hope that by the end of October we at least get an announcement for an actual testing phase that will have all 8 classes. The game was supposed to launch by 2020 before the delay, right? So if they can't do that, I will start to be reeeally concerned about their development schedule
  • KaienKaien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I couldn´t agree less with that statement, i do not feel like its time to jump ship at all. Game is still in development sure i coulnd´t care less for the Battle Royal stuff but it was nice to be able to test the game.

I feel its time for us as a community to test the MMO but i dont wanna rush it i want this to be the best game it can possibly be without rushing, i invested some money and i hope my faith pays off. :)