Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #9 - Making Friends

2019_Dev_Discussion_Series_Making_Friends.png?h=250

Glorious Ashes community - it's time for another Dev Discussion! Dev Discussion topics are kind of like a "reverse Q&A" - rather than you asking us questions about Ashes of Creation, we want to ask YOU what your thoughts are.

Our design team has compiled a list of burning questions we'd love to get your feedback on regarding gameplay, your past MMO experiences, and more. Join in on the Dev Discussion and share what makes gaming special to you!

Dev Discussion #9 - Making Friends
What's your favorite way to make new friends in an MMO?

Keep an eye out for our next Dev Discussion topic regarding group composition!
community_management.gif

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Through random occurances in the open world.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Providing reasons for players to socialize. Forcing trade caravans and other large scale events to be done organically (as opposed to a raid finder or dungeon finder) means that making friends is more important to experience all the content. It's less convenient, but in my personal opinion it makes it more satisfying.
  • Either random instanced dungeons from queuing up for it(or the like) or just the plain old recruitments be it in game or on the forums. Join a guild and see if you click.
  • Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For me it's through repeated interaction, more often than not forged on the battlefield (both PvP & PvE)

On the PvE end of things... I almost never make friends with somebody I've only grouped with etc. just one time like you could come across with a LFG group finder tool. I have however gained some lasting friendships from games where you would encounter the same person (EverQuest, Early WoW etc.)

On the PvP side of things I've become friends with people i'm fighting both with and against.. primarily in games where skill is evident. The same factor that I mentioned above though... repeat interaction where you start to know somebody overtime is really the separating factor.

In other words?

If a community is present, i'ts easy to make friends (and enemies)
  • hawiiftbllhawiiftbll Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    RLTygurr wrote: »
    Providing reasons for players to socialize. Forcing trade caravans and other large scale events to be done organically (as opposed to a raid finder or dungeon finder) means that making friends is more important to experience all the content. It's less convenient, but in my personal opinion it makes it more satisfying.

I can definitely see the benefit to this being something without a type of matchmaking system but I think other things would benefit from some sort of matchmaking system. I prefer to make friends by random occurrence throughout my adventures but I also have less time now than I did before to play games so I would like to see matchmaking system for some sort of events while having others be done organically as you had mentioned
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For me there's a big distinction between "friends" and "community" in an MMO. I love joining in with the community for random events, big battles, or just regular group dungeons. But I don't really make friends in an MMO itself. But hopefully I can convince my existing friends to join me in Verra.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just find a graveyard and start digging
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like making ingame friends from PKing. After killin eachothere with some creative insults. Might sound wierd but the worse enemy can end up as trustworthly partner. Because you rival and make eachothere stronger. Ending up as, You know; the kinda friend you can whatsapp at 4 in the morning because you are being attacking in the game by a group lol. Then he rushes to the computer and you both PvP untill he has to leave for work. Or the one that tells you to log the f out of the game and stop playing after smoking to much stuff bcus ur fittin to lose some gear. The one that trusts you with money and info. Meeting eachothere trough drama makes the friendship so much stronger imo because you dare to be TRUE and alrdy seen the toxic side of eachothere ! :D
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Anyone here want to be my friend?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • HighopeHighope Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2019
    Helping someone being pk'd or helping them with a quest. summoning boss scrolls to assist. or having a skill that is mastered by me that is in need to others. Grinding xp party in an area. trading simple things ingredients and such for recipes if exist. Random dungeon que or even chosen dungeon que this alone is what makes me friends. dungeon cause we share battles together and get to know each other sometimes.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Play a tank, everyone wants to be the friend of a tank. Or a healer, everyone also wants to be friends with a good healer.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The desire and market is out there. Now just to keep to the vision that Steven promised and they will see this.
    EC7u_gTWsAADpQd.jpg
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2019
    Tl dr
    Open world vs Instanced dungeons/BG
    Challenging environment vs casual dailies.
    An insight to Human relations vs Group Finder

Very interesting topic and I hope that devs look into it thoroughly because mmorpgs last more when people make friends in them.

My friendlist only had inrl and ZERO online friends in every mmorpg that had a Group Finder that I could join and teleport from a City.

In my first mmorpg that did not had a GF I made friends from random open world encounters:

1) very rarely after a fight for a spot. If we were of the same class sometimes we would respectfully say gf and sometimes we'd talk about the class, meet up in a open world arena (no xp loss upon death) and practice fighting.

2) Some times a gatherer would like to join my group of friends to get deeper in a zone.
    With some gatherers we'd build a friendship to buy or farm together materials for gear

3) Most of the times that I would make a friend online it would be if we were in the same zone and together level up for a few days. If they were a person my group liked they would become a true friend and paths would be the same. Always.

4) Back then guilds were around 50 people. We knew everyone inside and out. People wouldnt solo on 8 different alt chars. Each person had a role in the guild, both in combat and in riches. These were friends and every second day or so we'd definatly play with somebody in the guild to achieve something.

The more casual mmorpgs become, the more shallow the friendships.
    Personally I just couldnt see the point in pretending to be a friend with someone that I'd play maybe 40mins a couple of times a week. Here is what I believe are the reasons that create a distance between players:

1)easy xp, many alts. A "friend would reach max lv in a week and at some point start an alt. My alt could be 20 level. Their alt 30.
    Next alt. Mine 40. Theirs 20.

2) Group Finder, dailies.
    I log in. My "friend" is not on yet. I join GF for the first out of 6 dailies. Three random people join me. 20 mins later "ty for run. Anyone for this daily? No? Okay."
    At some point my friend will log in but Im done with the dailies.

3) Instanced group.
    PvE. I am a melee DD and I farm that dungeon for that set. My "friend" is a healer. They farm another dungeon.
    In open world you are in a zone for mats for both of you for a day or two. Once you get the mats then you go to help your friend in a different zone to get the healers design and they come to your zone for a DPS design. Gear crafted everyone in the group is happy
    PvP. I might do BGs. My "friend" might do pve dailies.
    On open world PvP is "hey some1 killed me. Let's go teach them a lesson". You bet a real friend would come no matter what they were doing. If it is for BG if they are not in the mood we wont play together.

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly it is usually through the guild. They join or I join a guild make the effort to become part of the guild and just let friendships evolve that way. I tend not to make all that many friends from just random people I help or encounter just never send out the friend requests though will happily accept a request from anyone who deems me worthy of a friend request.

Ashes might turn this on its head though if some of the social systems are delivered on come game release with a far wider network of contacts and friends being needed to unlock the true potential and fun aspects of game mechanics and systems. This will be a huge plus IMO.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • BeorBeor Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    When ever you need to form a party there's a chance you you group up with someone who finally ends up in your friend list.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pking. Whether it's helping someone who is being attacked or someone attacking me, it's fun to meet someone during some intense combat. Similar to what others said, I usually become friends after repeated interactions with someone.
  • I rather enjoy competitive strategy. I was hoping to see some social gaming (like mini games) where players take a break in a tavern and play shoovapenny (for those fable fans).
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends
  • When I used to play WoW, I made most of my friends when playing Arenas. There was no Arena finder so I had to look for players with certain speak and MMR so I could trio with it. It also made me add them on skype or vent and play with them more often so we could get better as a team which was worth looking for new people every time.

I didn't really make any new friends in PvE in WoW. Everything from trading to dungeons was automated so I didn't need to talk to anyone. I hope Ashes won't be like that.

I think most people are kinda shy like me and won't bother talking to strangers unless there is a benefit to it. It's good to encourage teamwork and cooperation both in PvP and PvE.
  • harlockharlock Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    This probably wont answer the question but i would really like to see the same players as i journey through the world. Example if i keep traveling to the same town/city and i see the same group of people on a regular bases i might try to build a relationship with them than if i were constantly being placed in different instances like in WOW so the servers can be more stable.
  • BlackRuinsBlackRuins Member
    edited August 2019
    reserve
  • I like making friends in open world, when the friendship is built on similar interests and not to take advantage of the other player.

In wow playing as tank I always faced people trying to befriend me just so theyd have easy time making groups and pmd me only when lacking role.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • CM KalezCM Kalez Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I dont make friends with random people in MMORPGS. I have my guild and guild allies.
    Kalez.png
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited August 2019
    i would love to have atleast 1 friend who shares interests and and dislikes as me and has the same time table or atleast close to my time table and actually enjoys the game and is dedicated to the game

i am an elven dps in all games
    i play eu times but from early morning in eu (such as 7am) to around 10 to 12 am eu time which
    i dont like trade runs
    i dont like farming
    i dont like dungeons that much but eh i do 3 or 5 times a day if i have to
    i dont like constant pvp all day long XD but i do like pvp in general
    i dont like mining and logging and gathering and husbandry and crafting at all

i do like questing
    i love exploring so much
    and i love finding neat special places or special items or achievements that have more sentimental value rather than gold ...
    i love gathering and hoarding stuff XD
    i like helping people at random
    im ok with grinding 1 or 2 hours a day
    im totaly ok with helping people doing trade runs or helping to run their farm and etc as well.

but somehow i always end up lone wolfing everything ...
    im not good at making friends
    maybe because i help people fast and leave them be out of politeness XD idk

is there anyone preferably a tank or healer who wants to be my friend and partner and we can play and help each other do quests and stuff ?

even if i dont like doing trade runs and some other stuff i mentioned but i would surely help people do anything if anyone ever asks me
    ( on regular basis in games i help like 5 hours a day without knowing people or sometimes even without talking to them)

p.s: i hate dwarves
    and im an elven supremacist XD
  • WreynaWreyna Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While I'm out questing or gathering, i like to try to help anyone that might be having trouble.
  • SgllsTaklnDuxSgllsTaklnDux Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I try to be the player I want to run into out in the world. I am usually successful in building connections this way.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Sggls2.png
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Difficult content that force players to communicate. It's how I made most of my friends gaming. If the content is just kind of a breeze, I just listen to my music and tunnel vision. However, if I have to spend 30 minutes on a piece of content with 4 other players and they all stick around and perform well to try to get the content done. I know that these players will be pursuing some of the same goals as I am and won't shy away from difficult content in the future.
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • VolgaloveVolgalove Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Make achievements where we'd need a partner or even two to figure things out. I heart achievement hunting, not just the typical "become a master in suchnsuch profession", I like to be challenged. Puzzle game achievements requiring a whole group of people. Dungeon puzzles! I agree with @caedwyn that exploring is very fun for me. Finding that rare NPC walking about and getting the special quest they offer. There is no timer for this NPC or set path, nothing that could help you find it other than exploring!

There should be some sort of system that pings the server saying "Volga needs help being PK'd" or "Volga needs help with a quest". Anyone can respond to this ping by opening up their map by pressing and holding the left bracket key for 2seconds which brings up their map showing the ping location, similar to what Division offers to help out a fellow player. I really love this system and make lots of friends this way.(yes yes I know, gross Division)

Also, I'm super outgoing so anyone I happen across I usually get to know them and become friends! It's why @Karthos and I are friends.
    bMXC7ir.png
  • HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Group and guild content, best way to make friends, a whole guild full of people who group up regularly to achieve a common goal, and most often guilds have a long-term goal that they're working together to achieve. If guilds are allowed to thrive and set long-term goals, and actually achieve stuff together rather than just being a name for people to recognize each other by for the sake of say castle sieges, then you'll see lots of guilds being more like a home to people.
  • XheloriXhelori Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    edited August 2019
    I am an unapologetic introvert. That said, we’re all hardwired for connection. What things within online gaming encourage connection, even for a shut-in?

I feel pretty confident of inclusion without judgement whenever there is access to some lighter, opt-in social activities that have less to do with fighting skill or gaining anything ingame (does not trigger competitive acquisition, but there would still be some sort of fun reward) and more to do with participation towards some festive, enjoyable end. Less of a contest and more of a showcase to share and spectate. Those are really fun because even if you are just a spectator, you show up, and contribute to the chat when it’s interesting. Then you happen to encounter others with whom you click.

I have also gained friends ingame just by coming to their impromptu rescue out in the open world.
  • ArgentDawnArgentDawn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll befriend people I see often and do content with regardless of what the content is. "Modern" MMOs use to much group finder and cross server play to have any significant impact on people for longer than a dungeon run. Hoping ashes solves that issue by keeping a good server population and "forcing" people to work together for common goals.