Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I hope bosses aren't immune to abilities...

Few things are as deflating as acquiring those cool, powerful abilities only to have the 'immune' word pop up when you perfectly time it on a boss. I hope all abilities can affect bosses if it makes sense (i.e. hamstring on humanoid bosses, blind on bosses with reachable eyes) - even if the chance is low.

Just slapping immunity on a boss always felt like a cheap way to demonstrate its strength to me. Thoughts?

Comments

• AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope they do, it forces players to learn and do something else.
    Of course, not all bosses should be immune to the same ability or have an immunity. It should, imo, be a thing though.

I don't think it's cheap to a have a Fire Boss immune to fire.
    That said, a Water Boss should be weak to fire attacks.

However, if creatures in general don't have immunity stats it would also be nice if none had weaknesses. Because accidentally destroying a boss by spamming the first spell you notice they are weak to is cheap.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think if they follow final fantasy boss fights they should be fine
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it is fine to have some creatures resistant or more vulnerable to elements the same applies to slashing/blunt&crushing/piercing damage. Just changes things up makes you think about the opponent you are fighting and working out what it might be more vulnerable to. Imagine finding out that world boss Ice colossus takes 5% more damage from blunt&crushing/force attacks, could make all the difference.

Even a creature being immune to a certain type of damage could make for a very interesting encounter. Though I would suggest the immunity card should be used very rarely.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I hope bosses arn't just DPS DPS DPS DoTs DoTs DoTs Go Go Go!!!

Just my two coppers...
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    Usually when a boss is immune to certain abilities there is a reason behind it. Depending on how the fight is designed, there may be player abilities that allow you to avoid or cheese parts of the fight. Knockbacks and hard CC typically don't work on bosses purely because if they did everyone would take as many knockback and CC abilities as possible to avoid having to actually tank the boss.

Boss about to do a big aoe attack? Stunned! Problem solved haha. Tank about to die? Knock the boss away long enough to heal the tank up again.

On a side note, I felt like GW2 solved problems like this quite well. In most other mmorpgs CC abilities are useless in raids, but mobs in GW2 (including the bosses) have a break meter. Most of the time the boss is immune to all CC, but when the break bar becomes active, CC abilities reduce the bar (like a health bar) and when the break bar gets to zero the boss stops whatever it is doing and takes extra damage for a short period of time.

A lot of the GW2 boss fights are designed around the break meter and using your CC at the correct time to progress the fight. It's a very creative way of working around hard CC abilities.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Shoklen wrote: »
    I hope bosses arn't just DPS DPS DPS DoTs DoTs DoTs Go Go Go!!!

Just my two coppers...

Then what do you expect from a boss? It's going to have more HP and be stronger and will be the same as every boss in every other game I guess. Takes time to kill and you have to play smart so you don't die!
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • Shoklen wrote: »

Just my two coppers...

Then what do you expect from a boss? It's going to have more HP and be stronger and will be the same as every boss in every other game I guess. Takes time to kill and you have to play smart so you don't die!

A boss with 50 billion HPs and nothing special besides that.. nothing more boring for a raider.. Most those raid bosses you can just tap your four attack powers (example) while watching youtube.. DPS classes have fun, sure, then they all pat themselves on the back when parses are posted.. /yawn... Though I hope they keep to their word and not allow combat logs.

Well.. not that I want a boss that's so scripted everyone in the raid needs third party software to keep track of things.. that is no fun either.

They have a chance to make things more interesting.. i hope they can. Monster coins will help.. but I'm just talking pure NPC raid bosses here.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Just my two coppers...

A boss with 50 billion HPs and nothing special besides that.. nothing more boring for a raider.. Most those raid bosses you can just tap your four attack powers (example) while watching youtube.. DPS classes have fun, sure, then they all pat themselves on the back when parses are posted.. /yawn... Though I hope they keep to their word and not allow combat logs.

Well.. not that I want a boss that's so scripted everyone in the raid needs third party software to keep track of things.. that is no fun either.

They have a chance to make things more interesting.. i hope they can. Monster coins will help.. but I'm just talking pure NPC raid bosses here.

Seriously? I would preferr a boss with a small amount of abilities, that would insta kill you, more then a boss aith 10k different abilities that require you to dance around the room.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Im pretty sure I covered I do not want a boss with a zillion different scripted abilities... I even made it, its own paragraph.. :)
  • ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm just saying they can do better then bosses having zillions of HPs that only require a DPS burn from all classes including healers.... and better then a boss so scripted they require 3rd party software to give alerts... Both these styles are bad, poor, and no fun gameplay.. They can be more imaginative..
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have said that bosses will have different scripts. There are no red circles on the ground. Abilities will be telegraphed in other ways. <Speculation> I doubt we will see many insta-gib mechanics in a game that as of last info given has decay and exp/stat penalties for pve deaths. They did say they are looking at reduced penalties in dungeons and raids. How they will make that happen for open world stuff remains to be seen.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg