Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Beginner type servers/groups

Hi i am part of what the AOC team members would consider the new young mmorpg community rather than older people who played the more intense type of mmorpgs. I am on the same page with how everyone wants to see a more community driven hardcore mmorpg but i am wondering if there will be some sort of separation in hardcore verterans and young people interested in getting involved in more intense mmorpgs. I bring this up because i have played games where beginners are thrown to the side or bullied out because theyre still trying to figure out how these things work as well as may just not have the same type of time to commit to something like this so i am wondering if there will be more casual type servers or anything of the sort. I love the game ideals and am looking forward to trying it out just wanted to put these concerns out there.

Comments

• WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    Hi good question. I think the beauti of a MMO is the diverse community it has. No matter the age, background, being RP or daily playtime; you will have the same chance and every type of player contributes to making a story togethere. Aint nobody want a server of filled only with 35 year old neckbears right? Thats a recipy for disaster :D
    But seriously.. Lack of experience for sure can be anoying when starting a new game; as example its the reason i personally never got into WoW because at the time WoW was released i played a different game and never switched all those years. (Chinese clone that is suprisingly still up and running lol) Feld like i would miss to much info to even try it out.
    But that is why this is the perfect game to get into mmos. You will have the same info as everybody else !
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ideally MMO's want this smooth transition between beginner, casual, and hardcore. When the MMO first starts this will be good as everything is Barren, there are no large nodes, etc. Everyone is just kind of learning on the same playing field.

However, I will be interested to see what measures Intrepid implements to assist new players entering a long standing server with large nodes and lots of history.
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hopefully we'll have a good mix of different types of players. What's so great about new MMO's is that generally everybody is new at the game, so hopefully you and I won't feel left out :)
  • mistymisty Member
    edited September 2019
    Gubstep wrote: »
    Ideally MMO's want this smooth transition between beginner, casual, and hardcore. When the MMO first starts this will be good as everything is Barren, there are no large nodes, etc. Everyone is just kind of learning on the same playing field.

However, I will be interested to see what measures Intrepid implements to assist new players entering a long standing server with large nodes and lots of history.

In my experience, it will not be so “smooth” as in launch beginners simply become hardcore, and the rest is not just going to land on “seeing what measures intrepid implements to assist new players entering”.

Intrepid will have little involvement in assisting that, hopefully. It will happen organically. There is always casual/beginner, intermediate, and hardcore guilds and communities. There is also flexibility in the intermediate and beyond.

To zylonian, there will be guilds that fit or welcome your experience level and you will have a good time. I’m sure long down the road there will be more casual guild models. but I would recommend at some point being part of guild commitments and progression even if that beginner side makes it intimidating because if you are in the right place, they will help you and it can be quite rewarding.
  • Gubstep wrote: »

In most MMO's today there is always a closed beta in which early subscribers are allowed access to the MMO before it is released to the public. So even though the game starts off as a blank slate their will be a disparity of skill levels right from the beginning. AoC has already opened an Alpha One test an Alpha Two test and Beta Test to the Kickstarters, and the Beta to those who purchase one of their monthly packages - so everyone will not be on the same knowledge level at the official launch of the game. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing as I have observed that many of these Alpha and Beta testers tend to be the most open to answering questions about how certain features of the game works - with some even forming groups to specifically help out those new to the game. Still, there are always going to be those who seek gain every advantage possible in a game and these people tend to be ruthless with new players if it will help them advance their in-game goal.

So, with all this being said it is always helpful for a new player to gather as much information about the game, and the role they want to play in it before dropping in with their character. Then take time to learn the basics, and be prepared for many setbacks in the learning process, as you begin your journey in to the game. Do not be afraid to ask questions . . . even the Alpha and Beta testers will be learning new things as the MMO develops and new players may just find that in time they are the ones answering questions as they learn features of the game not previously revealed during the tests.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2019
    Gubstep wrote: »

Beginners:
    giphy.gif

MMORPG veterans:
    giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is a mentor program planned. The details have not yet been released. All progress during testing will be wiped, multiple times, and a clean wipe before release. Those participating in testing will have knowledge, but since none of the paid testing is under NDA, expect multiple people to be streaming constantly. Anyone who is that worried about it can watch various streams in the months leading up to release. Like any mmo, people come and go over the life of them for various reasons. Successful guilds and groups love helping new people, because it gives them more meat for the grinder. Service guarantees citizenship in the fight against the bugs.
    140tle.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited September 2019
    In my experience, because MMOs are heavily social with chat and guilds and group play etc, anyone who tries to bully others based on anything (personality, skill, gear) end up damaging their own image or reputation more.

I hear there's bullying in Fortnite because newbies don't have cool skins etc....just don't see that happening in AoC because a player is represented by more than a skin and score; they're represented by their personality, which persists in the game world (i.e. the greater community remembers how you treat people).

The other side to it is about finding the right people you click with. That's the key to an enjoyable collaboration and is something you'd have to do whether it's a normal or casual server.

I wouldn't worry about it much.

TL;DR - don't let a bully make you feel like you need to move elsewhere; the greater MMO community watches how players treat each other and bullies tend to damage their own reputation more in the end
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is a mentor program planned. The details have not yet been released. All progress during testing will be wiped, multiple times, and a clean wipe before release. Those participating in testing will have knowledge, but since none of the paid testing is under NDA, expect multiple people to be streaming constantly. Anyone who is that worried about it can watch various streams in the months leading up to release. Like any mmo, people come and go over the life of them for various reasons. Successful guilds and groups love helping new people, because it gives them more meat for the grinder. Service guarantees citizenship in the fight against the bugs.
    140tle.png

All I saw there was clean wipe and grinder.

Have I been here too long?

What I am looking forward to is all of the people in the beta test asking if their progression will be kept for official launch. Then the special snowflakes that will rage when they find out its going to be a clean wipe and they will loose all of the grinding they did.

With closed servers reputations will have some meaning, people will reap what they sow. There is good and bad in every MMO community.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Varkun wrote: »
    140tle.png

All I saw there was clean wipe and grinder.

Have I been here too long?

What I am looking forward to is all of the people in the beta test asking if their progression will be kept for official launch. Then the special snowflakes that will rage when they find out its going to be a clean wipe and they will loose all of the grinding they did.

With closed servers reputations will have some meaning, people will reap what they sow. There is good and bad in every MMO community.

I remember the beta start of guild wars 2, where people could play a week or so before the official startand then keep their progression xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1fdb5fc56c853021b839bf103f05f0ef.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    When don't the community complain
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • 1fdb5fc56c853021b839bf103f05f0ef.png

Previously though, wasn’t there confirmation of the opposite? Alpha/Beta testing keeping earnings upon official release? Maybe they meant the APOC reward lines
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The plan, as far as I know, has always been a clean wipe before release (except head start). With several wipes during alphas and betas.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I should've been more specific. What I meant by that is an MMO that is more player influenced is more approachable when it is fresh vs when players have solidified their place on the server already.

There has been lots of discussion on how to bridge the gap between all communities in some manner, not just casual/hardcore, but PvE/PvP, Economy/War, etc.

To just expect these bridges to form organically is fairy tale, but game systems can be put in place to help facilitate and encourage communities to interact with each other. There really hasn't been an MMO to make this work and I doubt Intrepid will get it on their first try, but they have a long history to look at of what not to do.

A very simple example of what NOT to do when WoW made ilvl requirements for dungeons, but then made PvP gear a higher ilvl than PvE gear. Fresh characters would simply farm honor points, because it was faster and easier than normal dungeons. Suddenly you had an influx of PvE players in a PvP setting that probably didn't want to be there in the first place.

I know PR doesn't like Steven drawing comparisons from other MMO's, but it is comforting knowing that the Creative Director and others are/have analyzed systems from other MMO's. There are games, such as Anthem, where the lead did not allow the team to compare or draw inspiration from other games. Which led to a bunch of old issues that had already been tested and failed in other games. There are a lot of systems in Ashes that are not in other games, but it seems a lot of systems are inspiration from those that have been successful in other MMO's.
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    zylonian2 wrote: »
    Hi i am part of what the AOC team members would consider the new young mmorpg community rather than older people who played the more intense type of mmorpgs. I am on the same page with how everyone wants to see a more community driven hardcore mmorpg but i am wondering if there will be some sort of separation in hardcore verterans and young people interested in getting involved in more intense mmorpgs. I bring this up because i have played games where beginners are thrown to the side or bullied out because theyre still trying to figure out how these things work as well as may just not have the same type of time to commit to something like this so i am wondering if there will be more casual type servers or anything of the sort. I love the game ideals and am looking forward to trying it out just wanted to put these concerns out there.

I am part of the "older" generation of gamers but I didn't start MMO's until about 8 years ago, so I am in your court of gaming a bit. I never played WoW or other MMO's, so I have no clue what people talk about when they mention the "golden age".
    That said, you will be surprised to find there is a majority of gamers in any community who actually aren't d***ks and genuinely want to help out newer gamers or players to that game.
    You will just have to navigate the waters a bit and find where you fit in. Once you do, you'll see it wasn't so bad like some have made it out to be in the past.
    Caeryl wrote: »

Previously though, wasn’t there confirmation of the opposite? Alpha/Beta testing keeping earnings upon official release? Maybe they meant the APOC reward lines

That is indeed the case. Any cosmetic rewards earned in APOC will be available for use in the MMO(since those are the only types of rewards said to be earned). Any specific rewards earned during testing, for example, the windmill boss house knick-knack that was promised to participants in A0. What is not going to be kept is currency, level, and all the other regular gameplay acquisitions.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Caeryl wrote: »

That is indeed the case. Any cosmetic rewards earned in APOC will be available for use in the MMO(since those are the only types of rewards said to be earned). Any specific rewards earned during testing, for example, the windmill boss house knick-knack that was promised to participants in A0. What is not going to be kept is currency, level, and all the other regular gameplay acquisitions.

I forgot all about that windmill boss
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    #NeverforgetWindmilltilting