Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Overpriced and Pointless

Howdy, whilst I waited to play a game after waiting 5 minutes I decided to give up, I scrolled through the shops and to the surprise the 'cosmetics' are soooo pricey! why are you charging $15 for a suit of armour and a cape, $16 for a bunch of cosmetic weaponry... come on!

I was looking forward to the real game Ashes of Creation but... Battle royales are getting abit stale, turn it into a horde mode!

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Silushun wrote: »
    Howdy, whilst I waited to play a game after waiting 5 minutes I decided to give up, I scrolled through the shops and to the surprise the 'cosmetics' are soooo pricey! why are you charging $15 for a suit of armour and a cape, $16 for a bunch of cosmetic weaponry... come on!

I was looking forward to the real game Ashes of Creation but... Battle royales are getting abit stale, turn it into a horde mode!

the prices are very expensive for what they are
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

There is indeed a horde mode coming out. it'll be after the castle siege mode, and before the first alpha of the mmo
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Don't look at the price for buying Obsidian Armor outright..It's like 3-4 times higher than I have seen for any outfit in any game. Or the price on Arctic Griffin. About 2.5-3 times higher than any mount in any game I have seen. Fortunately, you can earn both if you get to level 50 in the legendary path. Or simply buy the legendary levels for less than the items.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Maybe I am just used to overpriced items in MMO's. I think the pricing is reasonable but that's just from someone who pays $30-60 for mounts in other games and anywhere from $20-30 for costumes.

Simply put if you don't want to spend money you aren't required to.
  • BirdieBirdie Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    I think $15 for an armor set is quite okay. If it was $2 everyone would look the same. You will feel more unique rocking that armor skin. At least that's how I see it. It's a cosmetic, not an item you need in order to play the game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Makinoji wrote: »
    Maybe I am just used to overpriced items in MMO's. I think the pricing is reasonable but that's just from someone who pays $30-60 for mounts in other games and anywhere from $20-30 for costumes.

thats like saying world war one was not as bad as world war two because fewer people died. in the end both are bad and we should fix the problem.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Makinoji wrote: »

Well atleast you have money to spare, I just think, cheaper items = more money to the company, they don't even have to sell full sets, could just be pieces.
  • grimsbanegrimsbane Member
    edited September 2019
    To those complaining about a lousy 15 or 16 dollar outfit, note most games charge 20 to 30 bucks for an outfit, or even other forms of cosmetics or even mounts. Honestly this games pricing is honestly cheap and affordable. And actually to the person above just because one makes something cheaper does not mean they will yield a higher reward thats not really how things work. Plus it would teach those who have a problem with saving up money to learn to, as it'll teach them that things in life have to be earned and not have a form of instant gratification.
  • Glad someone else stated this as well.
    $6 for a cape, when subscription is gonna be $15 a month? Of course I don't have to buy the cape, but seems a bit pricey for a basic item. I have 13500 embers from my pack, and 600 for a cape, 2000 for a mount, I sorta felt like I would get more for the embers I received.

$20/2000 embers, for an Apoc mount, the same price as monthly mounts, seems odd. If I want something sure I'll buy it, but between players switching out their looks, and new cosmetics being produced monthly, not to mention quarterly or such for new features and holidays and expansions. Items will sell, and I'll certainly purchase things I really like the look of.

Now of course, we want Intrepid to make money and continue on (Well the majority here I hope do), and they have to pay their employees somehow. I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown on pricing, and why they decided to go this route.
    Another thing to note is that, while we do all see the stuff on sale via the store and Apoc, we do not yet have the opportunity to see the free items and looks we will receive from equipment we pick up just playing the MMO, which certainly influences arguments against these price points. If Intrepid would display or show, some of the Free gear anyone can pick up while playing the MMO, then I am certain it would help alleviate the fears of the price points, but myself I am still perturbed that the embers I received won't go as far as I thought.
  • zephariazepharia Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2019
    I do think that the cosmetics are quite spendy considering for 3 outfits in apoc that aren't super crazy unique or anything I could turn around and buy a full $60 game and get way more out of it. I do understand that they are items that might be only obtainable in apoc but the monthly cosmetics seem to look much more unique and exclusive for the same price. Oh yea and the mmo is already going to be subscription monthly. -_-

Price the outfits too low however would have tons of people buying them and we all know what it feels like to get an event cosmetic in an mmo and literally everyone has it for the next 3 months. "Whales" as some people call them, or the people that have the money to buy tons of high priced things in games are a very small percentage. Lowering the prices doesn't necessarily mean a big loss in profits with many more people able to purchase them. With the current prices, some people will definitely not have the kind of money to buy them even if they REALLY want it and that in itself is a loss in profits.

Onto a more in depth note. A games longevity could be greatly extended by giving people a less intimidating market and encouraging them to stay around with the hope they can get the next cosmetics they want without feeling afraid their bank will collapse. People satisfied by focusing more on the game than their wallets will definitely spread positive words about the game by mouth. I believe this is one of the primary reasons Warframe has done so well for so long is the existing community knows that if they work hard in-game, they can obtain the things they desire with the option of investing their money into cosmetics at a variety of prices(anywhere from like $3.00 with discount platinum, to tennogen at a set $8 or bundles worth up to $15). These satisfied people have been inviting their friends and talking about the game for years and Warframe has done next to no advertising to bring in these players.