Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Good grief, this is getting caned in Steam reviews

FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
Steam reviews can be harsh. I think any gamer knows that. However, the absolute caning Apocalypse is getting on the platform is really something to behold. My questions:

1) Do I even want to bother downloading it, if it's as buggy/pointless/boring as it seems 90%-plus reviews are saying? And please don't patronise me with, "It's early days..." because, when you take something to Steam like this, you need a reasonable degree of competency otherwise you do get caned.

2) Based on that, was it wise to let the game onto Steam at this point if it's really so underwhelming and not really a good advertisement for the game that's to come? Mud sticks and if people think the game is junk now - even though it's a different mode to the MMO - will that put them off in the future? It could well do.

Thoughts?

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is what it is. Thing about the sheep that bother to follow Steam reviews, they are the same people that will crawl across broken glass when their favorite Youtuber/Twitch personality likes a game. Shroud who is pretty big from what I hear, (don't do a lot of Twitch watching myself) was streaming APOC earlier today and saying good things about it. Does his endorsement of the test bed offset the Steambombers? No idea. If APOC does what it is meant to do, the mmo will be better for it, and for me, that is all that matters.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • TheCouchNerdTheCouchNerd Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Besides maybe 3 crashes I've not had a single crash. Every crash happened after I won a game. So I wouldn't say it's super bugged. It could be for some hardware configs *shrug* but it's Early Access so that's expected.

Normally I hate BRs but I've managed to get to almost level 8 just by playing 2-3 hours a day. It's not super fun but it's not super boring either. It helps if you have people to chat with while playing. Duos helped a lot as well, it's more fun now than when I had to spam solos. I'd say it's average.
    The problem is the players per match, it's pretty empty so mostly you run around after you kill the first couple of people. Then towards the end it picks up again.

They could've done a much better job with the launch though. Like make sure Steam was working, have duos and squad available. Besides that I think they've shown great progress with APOC.