Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How many MMO fanatics, like myself are disgusted at this 'alpha' drive?!

Sorry, as a LONG time MMO player (since AC1 in 98?!), I've played more than 40 MMO's through the years. I've been following this because of Steve alone. He's essentially me, I feel. We have a common game history and outlook on what we want in an MMO. But this Arena crap is horrid. The Idea that I have to struggle through this to validate my belief in the REAL game is just a horrible idea that's going to turn SO many players like myself. If this is what I have to do to get 'rewards'. No thank you. I'm now honestly on the fence about this game. A game I've been preaching to my friends about. C'mon guys, You cant make us go through this horrid experience to show our support.

Comments

• You don’t have to play APOC to show support. I’m not sure where you’ve gotten that idea. If this is just about not getting the Ember dragon, then I don’t really sympathize. It’s earnable, not buyable, and that’s a healthy approach to cosmetics as far as I’m concerned. There will be plenty more skins for you mounts in the future both in-game and for purchase, I’m sure.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont care either way to be honest. I played Mmorpgs for half my life and I think that APOC is good for sorting out: combat animations, server issues, backend problems, frontend problems, skill balancing, weapon animations and of destructible environment etc
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Not a new account, just finally fed up with the Arena start. First, I DO understand the importance of back end and combat testing. But the point that I'm trying to make, MMO players, in general, ARE NOT battle royal players. The system now does not give you but 2 mins to figure out the keys... after 10 mins of waiting, to be ported into a map, try to find a weapon, and get murdered by Battle Royal type players. Anyone I have brought to this game says the same thing. It's not just me. I have a good group of players that I've been playing with for 20 years. They all say the same thing and its why I brought it up. I'll bypass Apoc until they allow us to play some of the real game. I think they could have worked out combat differently, other than making an entirely different genre game. I know this because, I've played more alpha/beta tests than I care to repeat. None of them introduced their game by being something it's not. That's simply a mistake.
  • sarkadosarkado Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    terrorform wrote: »
    I've played more alpha/beta tests than I care to repeat. None of them introduced their game by being something it's not. That's simply a mistake.

Most games don't let you follow along the process from an idea to a reality either. That's the most frustrating part for everyone here. If we literally heard nothing of AOC until say 2020-2021 when the game is close to ready "Beta" there would be a whole lot less complaining. There are multiple ways to create games and Intrepid has decided to take this path. We can't change it and they are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point. We aren't creating the game so we can't speculate as to how much of the data being gathered from APOC is actually helping the MMO, but hopefully come Alpha/Beta the game will be solid due to having this extra platform.
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes deny everyone else who likes this mode their fun because "real mmo gamers" can't possible like this fake game.
    Take your long time mmo play history and quietly sit in a corner until your "real game" comes out and let others have their fun with this mode to bridge the waiting gap.
    I bet when "the real game" comes out you and your old timer friends will whine about pvp players ripping you appart because they are pvp players and you are a pve player and it's just not fair, the real mmo game is pve after all.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    grisu wrote: »
    Yes deny everyone else who likes this mode their fun because "real mmo gamers" can't possible like this fake game.
    Take your long time mmo play history and quietly sit in a corner until your "real game" comes out and let others have their fun with this mode to bridge the waiting gap.
    I bet when "the real game" comes out you and your old timer friends will whine about pvp players ripping you appart because they are pvp players and you are a pve player and it's just not fair, the real mmo game is pve after all.

LOL-Button
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wow. Is it me or does anyone else in this thread feel the irony from some of the posterz (not OP).

I feel similar. Everyday APOC is up and I don't hear about a timelime for the actual Alpha I worry a bit more. We're allowed to feel that way regardless of the others opinions, which seem to have blown up recently. Telling you to play/support another game because of your views on APOC was childish, but we can all be sometimes.

I do agree with some of the others though. The arena might be horrible for you, but it's very popular and likely actually helping. As for the validation part of playing this game, you really don't have to. This is not Ashes.

You can continue to show support by buying the cosmetics. I, like others, appreciate them being earnable and respect the approach they have taken in that regard.

You dont have to spend money though. You can continue to share with friends. If they ask about APOC, tell them its not your thing and more of a stand alone test ground.

Also. I was not a fan of having to read through your resume or comparing yourself to Steven, it did very little for me.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    The APOC is all for testing, if you go into the BR with a negative outlook then you'll always feel weighed down about being there.
    As someone who 100% hates BR games, I grin and bear the APOC because I am a huge supporter of making the MMO the best it can. It's an investment.
    The more you test and report, even if it's a small thing like armour clipping, in the end, it benefits everyone waiting for the MMO.
    If the MMO is bad upon release we as the community are partly to blame, especially if people go into the APOC with a bad attitude.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Makinoji wrote: »
    The APOC is all for testing, if you go into the BR with a negative outlook then you'll always feel weighed down about being there.
    As someone who 100% hates BR games, I grin and bear the APOC because I am a huge supporter of making the MMO the best it can. It's an investment.
    The more you test and report, even if it's a small thing like armour clipping, in the end, it benefits everyone waiting for the MMO.
    If the MMO is bad upon release we as the community are partly to blame, especially if people go into the APOC with a bad attitude.

This the first BR I have ever played because I knew they were never my style of game and playing apoc has just reinforced that. Now having said that I am logging in every day sucking it up and trying to help provide the data they need through just participating seeing what bugs I can find. I have got better hell I have even won a game or 2 but will be glad when we move on to another phase of testing.

IMO its all just part of the ride and will make for a better MMO in the long run.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm really a PvE MMORPG player, but I want a good game, so I have been testing with APOC. The funny thing is, I'm not all that skilled, but I've come to enjoy the BR. Of course having the incentives of "winning" stuff helps a lot.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Preach on, we didn’t go pledge in that Battle Royale Kickstarter for nothing!

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

reminds me of the corruption thread
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Omg, we have not had a good for/against corruption thread in forever...
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    Azathoth wrote: »

And let's keep it that way
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

@nagash why did you have to mention the dark ages?!?
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

@nagash why did you have to mention the dark ages?!?

Tiss the season :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I have to disagree, there isn't any requirement to play the testing BR anyway. It's just an early test and a way to have your hands on some little aspect of the game early in development.

If you've been following the game I'd assume you've already spent money so you can always buy (Honestly much better) Cosmetics through the monthly rotating ones.

By having a test like this it's done wonders for them so far. Many people are vocal about how terrible it is but I think it's not all bad. I mean if you look at who's been playing it alone I don't see any streamers like shroud or something playing MMORPGs besides WoW classic because it's popular. It's probably exposed a game that thousands upon thousands would have just never even heard of to them.

You aren't required to play the BR because many other people will and they will give feedback. There's plenty of other ways to get (Objectively) better and more varied cosmetics by just buying them through the monthly shop.

It's not really a horrid experience at all unless you're in the mindset that they should have an alpha 0 that is completely buggy and unfinished, then we'd have people complaining that the actual game is ruined. It's a good way to get your hands on the world of Verra early, and it gives them vital server and combat feedback along with many other things that wouldn't be possible in closed paid only alphas and betas.

!!!!! Imagine they didn't have APOC and didn't have the December testing. Then like a vocal majority wants we'd be in alpha 1 and 2 with backend that can't even support 70 players. Then they game would be delayed at least a year and I'm sure many people wouldn't be happy with that. !!!!

I just try to look at it from two different sides ~ ! I as you can obviously tell haven't played mmorpgs and I am not a follower for decades. My first computer games were csgo and minecraft if that can give you a grasp of my age. Therefore I am not super upset over a battle royale game because, they are normal. I see it as a plus that we get to give feedback while they are developing the game. It will make the game better no doubt at all when they get feedback from so many people publicly. NOTE : I also do not see the problem with the Battle pass and cosmetics. People are calling it a cash grab but both of those are in every other BR game. As a company there's no possible way you could run APOC along with paying a whole entire team to develop the most ambitious mmorpg and not make any money at all. Your company would go under in a matter of months. This to me isn't a cash grab at all, if you're seeing it that way there's probably no changing your mind.

ON THE OTHER HAND - I can see how people who have been devoted to mmorpgs for a very long time could be upset. If you're only playing mmorpg games and not used to action combat, aiming or anything else in general then I can definitely understand why you'd be upset. If I were you I probably wouldn't want to play the BR as well. I'm not though, I've played lots of BRs and enjoyed them like many other people. There's an absolutely massive audience you can appeal to with BR games even if it's just a testing thing. I think it's good for the mmorpg genre in general even if the devoted veteran players think it's a terrible idea. Being in that mindset promotes no growth at all. Besides to the other mmorpg players.

Thanks for reading ~ <3
    Poko.png
  • terrorform wrote: »
    Sorry, as a LONG time MMO player (since AC1 in 98?!), I've played more than 40 MMO's through the years. I've been following this because of Steve alone. He's essentially me, I feel. We have a common game history and outlook on what we want in an MMO. But this Arena crap is horrid. The Idea that I have to struggle through this to validate my belief in the REAL game is just a horrible idea that's going to turn SO many players like myself. If this is what I have to do to get 'rewards'. No thank you. I'm now honestly on the fence about this game. A game I've been preaching to my friends about. C'mon guys, You cant make us go through this horrid experience to show our support.

From the perspective of not really going for the arena style game with AoC, I agree with you. I do think they have gone about this the wrong way if this is solely focused on testing the combat. I'm not entirely convinced it is though, I think they may have been trying to attract some attention from players who would not have
    otherwise looked at this.

However, I believe it's a healthier approach to simply shelve the game until they release what you are waiting for. There will be other mounts that I'm sure you'll like just as much or more, there's no need to frustrate yourself on something you don't like.
  • I just don't get it. People spamming negative reviews demanding a BR, others saying IS is forcing you to play the game, wut?
    Then demanding a release date. Why do you want a release date? Please tell me. Do you want it so you can later complain when they don't meet it?
    The BR was able to find a MAJOR issue in their Server Infrastructure. There are so many things this BR is doing that are good for the game, yet all you do complain.

And if you're complaining about PvP, well, you should keep in mind that this game WILL HAVE OPEN WORLD PVP, and
    YOU
    WILL
    GET
    GANKED while doing your PvE stuff.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    Not a new account, just finally fed up with the Arena start. First, I DO understand the importance of back end and combat testing. But the point that I'm trying to make, MMO players, in general, ARE NOT battle royal players. The system now does not give you but 2 mins to figure out the keys... after 10 mins of waiting, to be ported into a map, try to find a weapon, and get murdered by Battle Royal type players. Anyone I have brought to this game says the same thing. It's not just me. I have a good group of players that I've been playing with for 20 years. They all say the same thing and its why I brought it up. I'll bypass Apoc until they allow us to play some of the real game. I think they could have worked out combat differently, other than making an entirely different genre game. I know this because, I've played more alpha/beta tests than I care to repeat. None of them introduced their game by being something it's not. That's simply a mistake.

uhhhh, not a new account?

you literally posted this the same day it was made

Aq0KG2f.png
    Karthos wrote: »
    Not a new account, just finally fed up with the Arena start. First, I DO understand the importance of back end and combat testing. But the point that I'm trying to make, MMO players, in general, ARE NOT battle royal players. The system now does not give you but 2 mins to figure out the keys... after 10 mins of waiting, to be ported into a map, try to find a weapon, and get murdered by Battle Royal type players. Anyone I have brought to this game says the same thing. It's not just me. I have a good group of players that I've been playing with for 20 years. They all say the same thing and its why I brought it up. I'll bypass Apoc until they allow us to play some of the real game. I think they could have worked out combat differently, other than making an entirely different genre game. I know this because, I've played more alpha/beta tests than I care to repeat. None of them introduced their game by being something it's not. That's simply a mistake.

uhhhh, not a new account?

you literally posted this the same day it was made

Silly people dont know we can check all their info :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Nagash wrote: »

Oh yeah, those were nice conversations, like bottomless swamp.. Which actually reminds me, I think PKing should be less penalizing and people should drop gear for loot. ;)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
    ferryman wrote: »

Oh yeah, those were nice conversations, like bottomless swamp.. Which actually reminds me, I think PKing should be less penalizing and people should drop gear for loot. ;)

Get out and stay out :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• SeloSelo Member
    edited October 2019
    Reading some of the responses it validates some of my worries.
    To many "players" that like BR, which are not the same as the majority of players that are here for the mmorpg, will have way to much influence on the mmorpg.

Right now most of the mmorpg supporters are in hibernation and doesnt play the BR.
    And thats not good for the mmorpg.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Selo wrote: »
    Reading some of the responses it validates some of my worries.
    To many "players" that like BR, which are not the same as the majority of players that are here for the mmorpg, will have way to much influence on the mmorpg.

Right now most of the mmorpg supporters are in hibernation and doesnt play the BR.
    And thats not good for the mmorpg.

Why the quotes around players? They’re certainly doing more for the MMO than you are just complaining about how god forbid you’ll have to use an ability that doesn’t let you auto hit whatever you click on.

Players want a game that’s responsive to their input, isn’t dull as a turn based game, and rewards player skill more than simple memorization.

The hybrid system will hopefully allow for skillful play while also letting those seeking a simpler form of gameplay have it at the cost of pure power, as it should be.
    I like turn based games and think they are challenging, just in a different way than action combat. I am saying this mostly because not all turned based games are dull, and there are some action combat games that are dull.

Indicating action combat and tab target combat is different because one is skill based and one is relaxed also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If they will both be used in a hybrid setting, and two players attack each other, wouldn't the more skilled player always win? I am not sure if action combat players will win hands down all the time over tab target focused players. If that is true, then that would be action combat players aren't always more skilled than tab target players.

Sure, one could theoretically play a more relaxed less skill tab target oriented character. There are also players that will attempt to button mash and bounce randomly around the field without any skill with action combat oriented characters. So, to me, if you were going to use one extreme in the comparison it would be most fair to use the other.

As opposed to saying Action combat players are just button mashers. <- Which I don't believe is true... most of the time at least.
  • bakes82bakes82 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just paid to get 50, thats what they want from you.
  • @Caeryl Pls be patient with him..he has tab target addiction and likes to shit on people for enjoying action combat.
    signature.png