Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gear for PVP players

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Statements from IS:
“It is unlikely that a player could purely focus on just PVP or just PVE”.
“Gear comes from crafting, dungeons, raids and monsters”.
“There will be a balance between PVP and PVE”

For there to be a balance. There should be the possibility to gear by playing PVP. Just as some players do not care about PVP, some players do not care about PVE. Of course, you should not be able to ONLY focus on one and still progress effectivly, but you should be able to focus on either one and still have SOME progress gear wise.

For this reason, there needs to be gear that is obtainable from PVP. It does not mean the gear is PVP gear or anything, just that there is gear that you can get by playing PVP.

The pvp gear will also have symbolic value. Some players dont want gear with the story "I killed an idle NPC to get this leet sword". Some players want to feel "I earned this gear by slaying hundreds of other players. This is great for immersion but also VITAL for keeping the PVP community happy.

Weather it is from world pvp, arenas, sieges, “battlegrounds” does not matter. There needs to be gear progression for players that play PVP. This is meaningful and fun for us pvpers.

The PVP gear should not be “better” than PVE gear or give special advantages. It just needs to be competitive gear that players who have chosen a majority pvp style to strive for.

Mounts, cosmetics, titles etc as rewards for pvp is probably planned for the game but dont forget those as well.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marzzo wrote: »
    Statements from IS:
    “It is unlikely that a player could purely focus on just PVP or just PVE”.
    “Gear comes from crafting, dungeons, raids and monsters”.
    “There will be a balance between PVP and PVE”

For there to be a balance. There should be the possibility to gear by playing PVP. Just as some players do not care about PVP, some players do not care about PVE. Of course, you should not be able to ONLY focus on one and still progress effectivly, but you should be able to focus on either one and still have SOME progress gear wise.

For this reason, there needs to be gear that is obtainable from PVP. It does not mean the gear is PVP gear or anything, just that there is gear that you can get by playing PVP.

The pvp gear will also have symbolic value. Some players dont want gear with the story "I killed an idle NPC to get this leet sword". Some players want to feel "I earned this gear by slaying hundreds of other players. This is great for immersion but also VITAL for keeping the PVP community happy.

Weather it is from world pvp, arenas, sieges, “battlegrounds” does not matter. There needs to be gear progression for players that play PVP. This is meaningful and fun for us pvpers.

The PVP gear should not be “better” than PVE gear or give special advantages. It just needs to be competitive gear that players who have chosen a majority pvp style to strive for.

Mounts, cosmetics, titles etc as rewards for pvp is probably planned for the game but dont forget those as well.

You could technically gear through PvP. You can raid Caravans and corrupted players will lose an amount of their inventory. They could also implement something like honor from wow, but i dont know if that would be the best way to handle that.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You could also gear from pvp by taking peoples flowers, selling them for gold, and then buying crafted gear.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited October 2019
    Pretty much what's been said - you can already use PvP to steal materials to craft/buy gear. The resource acquisition method is different but then both PvE and PvP players are responsible for turning those resources into gear, and you can still say "this gear I have came from many conquests".

I find this kind of narrative far more immersive than some NPC handing over gear for an arbitrary number of kills, even if it' is wrapped in a quest.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This post is my opinion, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt. I am not trying to antagonize anyone nor start a flame war.

I guess you forgot about the 'RPG' in MMORPG (and please don't try to argue that just killing is in character). This is not (supposedly) going to be a gank heaven, but a balanced RPG. How much 'in character' do you have to be to be a murderer?

As said, you can progress your equipment from PVP. Just get some materials and craft. I am sure that there will be wonderful players that just wander around waiting to find gatherers and kill them for the mats. If you are one of those, you should be able to get enough to craft new equipment by PVP.

Are you saying that killing enough players will give you special rewards? As far as I know, there is a corruption system in place to try to stop the die-hard player killers (or at least slow them down). Based on that, it looks like this game is trying to tone down the effect of crazed individuals whose only interest is in bullying others.
    This post is my opinion, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt. I am not trying to antagonize anyone nor start a flame war.

I guess you forgot about the 'RPG' in MMORPG (and please don't try to argue that just killing is in character). This is not (supposedly) going to be a gank heaven, but a balanced RPG. How much 'in character' do you have to be to be a murderer?

As said, you can progress your equipment from PVP. Just get some materials and craft. I am sure that there will be wonderful players that just wander around waiting to find gatherers and kill them for the mats. If you are one of those, you should be able to get enough to craft new equipment by PVP.

Are you saying that killing enough players will give you special rewards? As far as I know, there is a corruption system in place to try to stop the die-hard player killers (or at least slow them down). Based on that, it looks like this game is trying to tone down the effect of crazed individuals whose only interest is in bullying others.

If you really go and target professional gatherers, then good luck. Most of them will be not pvp-flagged, and you will end up corrupted real fast my friemd xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @CanadianGamer Hmmm..maybe the posts were not clear enough. Every death drops a percentage of gathered/processed materials on death. Those can be looted by anyone around. The percentages vary based on flagging state. The colors the developers have chosen to explain this are red, purple, and green. Green players are people who are just doing the RPG in MMORPG. Purple people (no eaters) are those that want to voluntary pvp either in sanctioned pvp like caravans or open world pvp. Red players are corrupted. They get that way by force flagging on a green who doesn't attack back and killing them. As they gain corruption they have various penalties that are applied to their character. At the highest levels of corruption, random pieces of gear they have can be destroyed or dropped on death. As the OP was trying to get to I think, they want a way to not have to PVE, ie run dungeons, raids, or craft, but want to get gear from pvp actions only. While the sentiment is valid, everything the development team has said up until now makes the chance of that very, very, small. Since the vast majority of gear is not "bound" and can be sold or resold at any time, they will have the option of buying gear that comes from pve from those willing to sell. The chance of you happening upon someone that highly corrupted that they are going to drop a piece of gear you want is also very small. Sure, stuff may drop, but it has been confirmed that it is random. There is no carrot to corruption, only stick.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree, sieges, beattlegrounds, and arenas could have gear as a result. As you stated, that gear should be leveled as normal for gear at whatever stage it is.

I am just not sure about the world PvP part. The goal of world PvP is to meaningful first, and two gain resources second. I don't think adding gear drops to that would benefit the system. Caravans on the other hand could drop some gear, but for now I think they are just planning loot-vouchers.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
    @Damokles and @unknownsystemerror Thank you. You agreed with me completely! It seems that there will be little (or very hard to get) specific PVP equipment drops.

I get that there might be chances of drops for other kinds of PVP (maybe sieges or caravans), just probably not for just plain PVP player killing.
  • There is PvP with rewards in the form of military nodes, where you’re rewarding for killing corrupted players/griefers with bounties on them.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Caeryl wrote: »
    There is PvP with rewards in the form of military nodes, where you’re rewarding for killing corrupted players/griefers with bounties on them.

I wonder if you can take their heads as trophies
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »
    There is PvP with rewards in the form of military nodes, where you’re rewarding for killing corrupted players/griefers with bounties on them.

There is a established left ear policy, rewards are paid in exchange for ears. They are more versatile after all: you can put them on a chain, either for easy transport and exchange or as a fashion statement.
    Differing lengths can be used as different kinds of jewelry, nothing is more romantic then surprising your loved one with an ear necklace after all!
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

There is a established left ear policy, rewards are paid in exchange for ears. They are more versatile after all: you can put them on a chain, either for easy transport and exchange or as a fashion statement.
    Differing lengths can be used as different kinds of jewelry, nothing is more romantic then surprising your loved one with an ear necklace after all!

shame I wanted to go full predator and rip people heads and spines out as trophies
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    But then you would just put them together and animate them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a trophy if it can move around... :)
    But then you would just put them together and animate them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a trophy if it can move around... :)

I like floating skulls

b8a57f8783d94cab464fef43f04130cc.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I like floating skulls

Agreed. You win. I fully support your argument (and may have to roll a Necro to do the same...).

I like floating skulls

Agreed. You win. I fully support your argument (and may have to roll a Necro to do the same...).

NO, DONT GIVE INTO NAGASHS SIRENSCALL! STAY STRONG!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Agree +1
    Too late. Name changed.

The undead will rule forever!
    I think we took a sharp left turn and derailed this thread. Let's see if we can get back.

I hope that undead players (both us and our characters) will work together. Maybe they can help each other without being marked as combatants? Especially since we are already dead? Maybe if we gang up on someone we all get to loot bones and body parts to animate (or wear).

I am coming to understand the @Nagash point of view...
    Welcome to the Legion.
    nJ0vUSm.gif