Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #11 - Biomes

edited October 2019 in General Discussion
2019_Dev_Discussion_Series_Biomes.png?h=250

Glorious Ashes community - it's time for another Dev Discussion! Dev Discussion topics are kind of like a "reverse Q&A" - rather than you asking us questions about Ashes of Creation, we want to ask YOU what your thoughts are.

Our design team has compiled a list of burning questions we'd love to get your feedback on regarding gameplay, your past MMO experiences, and more. Join in on the Dev Discussion and share what makes gaming special to you!

Dev Discussion #11 - Biomes
What are your favorite and least favorite biomes in MMOs?
(What's a biome that just needs to go away? ex. Please, no more deserts!)

Keep an eye out for our next Dev Discussion topic regarding raid & event difficulty!
community_management.gif

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have all ways loved Dark forest or mountain surrounded by deserts. There is just something about the mystery or these places I love. Such as what could be buried beneath this expanse off the land or what vile monsters are in this forest. If I had to pick a Biome, I dislike it would have to be plains. I find them so boring.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2019
    Okay, my favourite biome is pretty simple:
    1. Island biomes, white beaches, clear water, mean beasts and jungles
    2. Jungles
    3. Underworlds (deep below the ground in caves with crystals als tall as trees)
    4. Deep creepy woods (they are lways awesome!)

My least favourite:
    1. Mountains
    2. Plains
    3. Elven forrests (you know the type, all nice and friendly.... bleagh)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited October 2019
    I actually like all kinds of biomes but definitely prefer mountainous/highland areas (it's fun to glide down :p) As Nagash stated, plains are boring. Let there be life and hills!
    signature.png
  • GubstepGubstep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Forests are definitely my favorite.
    Molten lava areas
    Dark caves

Not a fan of the desert or just grass plains.
    Software Engineer
    Addon Developer
    OG Backer
  • favorite type of biome to just wander through is a nice looking forest. its so serene and can entrance you when done right. however on the opposite side a Desert biome; they typically are extremely bright and can it can get on your nerves when there's no contrast is blindingly white sand and sandstone buildings. for a personal example in Apoc the Underrealm part of it is very warm coloured with bright accents that give it a very mysterious but enchanting feel that's nice to look at. If it wasn't a Battle royale and I wasn't being shot at I could spend some time there.
  • Damokles wrote: »
    2. Jungles

My least favourite:
    1. Mountains
    2. Plains

we shall pretend you never said #3
    trust me its better for your own good XD
  • mistahatmistahat Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    edited October 2019
    I love forests and cities and dark versions of both. Caves are amazing for the dungeon feel. Underground locations. Islands are fantastic as well. Tropical jungles are fun and multiple layered areas. Lava biomes are amazing and interesting because of the danger aspect to them ans visually appealing

I do not enjoy sand areas, i dont like snow or blizzardy areas for the same reason which is boring, bleak landscapes
    edited October 2019
    caedwyn wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    2. Jungles

My least favourite:
    1. Mountains
    2. Plains

Bah, what would you elven princelings do to me? Tickle me with your pointy toys or hug me to death? :'D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    Favourite is Snow and Winter biomes. I am a sucker for everything that has to do with winter.
    But if there is snow, there have to be footprints too!
    edit: I have to add underwater biomes with translucent elements and bioluminescence. And not barren underwater biomes, but ones full of life and perhaps primitive NPC/mob villages

Least favourite, think something like Orr from Guild Wars 2... gosh that was terrible to level in.
  • caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited October 2019
    if i had to describe with words i would say :
    1: living breathing world and enchanted forests or landscapes with lots of life going on around it

i hate dead and dry places that has no life and is so empty and so gloomy for no reason than just "having it"

now if i wanted to show by pictures what i mean here is how :
    casper-wermuth-avw-out-pres-004-1024x545.jpg
    lrD0JJt.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    pres-tyler-edlin30.jpg
    6fbc49134a060a2eca228bc64df8b38b.jpg
    31b38ebefaae06f313f48421fa8d81cb.jpg
    4865ea86b99ee8dbb56a6cc87bdbb610.jpg
    The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Wallpaper-Art-06a.jpg
    aa7c3b3e57d1604b2f7f4fc65776c4d7.jpg
    19112018-135531-noria-tree-501312.jpg
    C5-Mfv-JIWc-AIQ4n1.jpg
    edited October 2019
    Hjerim wrote: »
    Favourite is Snow and Winter biomes. I am a sucker for everything that has to do with winter.
    But if there is snow, there have to be footprints too!

Least favourite, think something like Orr from Guild Wars 2... gosh that was terrible to level in.

You just triggered my PTSD from Orr... GOD DAMN YOU! An Asura should not have to remember the torture of those times....
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Good question lol

Let's see...

Favorite:

1. Dark-vampiric-demonic-undead, burnt/charred earth, blackened skies, shadowy lurking figures everywhere, trees that are twisted and decayed. Open graves and skeletons scattered about. Thick fog or smoke that hinders your sight.

2. Snowy areas without snowfall (old PC's might burn up) the ground and settlements are covered in thick white ice, your character is struggling to get through it, you can see your own breath and monsters are hungry for their next meal.

3. Islands-clear water, white beaches, trees of pinks and whites, cities of glass and marble glistening in the sun.

4. Mountainous- The peaks waiting to be climbed, what secrets await inside and the creatures that lurk.

Least Favorite:

1. Deserts-they are just boring-I've yet to see a desert biome in a game that keeps my interests

2. swamps-these tend to just be covered in unnecessary water and a few deadly creatures but there are rarely any settlements that have a reason to be in this biome and the threats feel underwhelming.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    caedwyn wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    2. Jungles

My least favourite:
    1. Mountains
    2. Plains

I'm more scared of a dying of old age than you elves
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Favorite is probably tropical forests. Least favorite is probably savannah or tundra bioms.

I can't think of a biome i'd want to go away as i appreciate the diversity, even if I want to get out of them as soon as possible.
  • I would say jungles. Like really dense jungles where you almost have to make you own path.
    Another would be absolutely massive mountains. The kind of mountain peaks where you feel like you reached a whole new world when you get there. Almost touching the heavens.
    Then again great redwood forests are great. (No pun intented)
  • Monarch wrote: »
    I would say jungles. Like really dense jungles where you almost have to make you own path.
    Another would be absolutely massive mountains. The kind of mountain peaks where you feel like you reached a whole new world when you get there. Almost touching the heavens.
    Then again great redwood forests are great. (No pun intented)

Ah and anything too flat like large plains or deserts is a big no no. Unless you find an interesting way to make deserts work. Deserts are either amazing or really bland.
  • zenniazennia Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    Aion was my first MMO about 10 years ago and I took away a love of shaded, fantasy forests with beautifully luminescent plants, like much of Asmodae.

That type of environment will always be my absolute favourite, but I'm also fond of snowy biomes and mountains as well.

Not fond of deserts and hate bleak, depressing "corrputed" lands. (Hjerim mentioned Orr in GW2 and I fully agree - that was horrible and if I never play through another zone like that, I'll be thrilled).
  • 1 Forest
    2 Mountains
    Personally I really hate the desert, so annoying and empty..
    Anyway, I love obscure biomes in general, especially dense forests with lakes.. so creepy
    6MlB4BS.png
    zennia wrote: »
    Aion was my first MMO about 10 years ago and I took away a love of shaded, fantasy forests with beautifully luminescent plants, like much of Asmodae.

That type of environment will always be my absolute favourite, but I'm also fond of snowy biomes and mountains as well.

I remember my first time playing Aion. The flying spirit fish above the lakes amazed me and i just stood there for about 20min, and then my characters randomly started fishing and playing sith his feet. Thats what i want to see in mmorpgs since then.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Favorite is for sure snow/snowy mountains then dark/dense forests

Least favorite is deserts/plains for sure. Deserts/plains are boring
  • Favourite:
    1. Snowy mountains and beneath them labyrinths of dwarven cities, some hospitable, some hostile, taken by monsters and darkness.

But also - varied biomes that are huge, not like "let's do everything within small compartments". I want to feel that it's actual climatic zone I'm traversing than just - oh ok, this quadrant is desert, the last one rapid changed into forest, schematic.
    I would love to see some magical zones, like pseudo-postapocalyptic zone after magical explosion with unstable main rifts etc with cool light effects and thematic colors. Also places that feel like edge of the world with void staring at you while you stare at it lol. Maybe a bit psychodelic, feeling weird and dangerous, yet beautiful.

Least favorite:
    1. Generic forest maps.
    2. Deserts when made empty just for sake of traversing them.

• I love enchanted forests. with houses hang from treetop to treetop. Finding secrets deep hidden without to find a hidden alcove with all the prettiest flowers and fairies.

I hate dead places:
    - Burned down woods.
    - Deserts with no end.
    - Sea as far as eyes can reach.

I don't feel like these place have many points of interest.
  • cellesiecellesie Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think diversity in biomes makes up part of the enjoyment of exploration. Going through these different environments and seeing the work and creativity in it makes a lot of the experience for me. I like to look around and see the little details the creators have put in and their interpretation of the world.
    That being said, some of favorites are deserts which tend to be underrated, and not done well, bamboo kinds of forests, and beaches.
    Theres also a lot to be said about how the architecture of the towns and such look within the biome.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think my experience with wow told me that its not exactly just the environment factor establishing whats cool. That being said, I like a forest that's dense. I liked zones with a horror theme, I like zones that seem like bands of orcs inhabit them, and zones with fantastic themes, dinosaurs and prehistoric zones, deep sea and nautical themes, elements that carry through the story of the environment that draw from large aspects of fiction. I think zones that are cities are seriously under represented. NPC thugs, and thieves, and scavenger's gathering in the filth of under developed civilization's sanitation.
    Chreselion wrote: »
    I love enchanted forests. with houses hang from treetop to treetop. Finding secrets deep hidden without to find a hidden alcove with all the prettiest flowers and fairies.

I hate dead places:
    - Burned down woods.
    - Deserts with no end.
    - Sea as far as eyes can reach.

I don't feel like these place have many points of interest.

It is not the endless sea, which should have your interest... it is what is beneath it that should catch your attention. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • subssubs Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I was wondering along the lines of mountains and the change of seasons. the change of seasons would be a welcome concept
  • For me it depends mostly of the purpos of a Biom.
    So if I'm doing quest I like a Biom with multiple elevation levels and lots of secret placese to discover(like a cliffside at a shore) , whil if I want to go from City A to City B Where there should be as litle obstales as possible.
  • Forests and jungles and nice islands, though large enough to take minimum 20+ minutes to go around.
    Snowy places, or the regular ones with snow in winter, are cool too. Love those.
    Like someone pointed out though should have a footprint, any prints even, staying until snowfall again, showing more on warmer winter days (wetter snow) and less on colder winter days (drier snow).

Deserts are usually rather boring. Need some kind of showing that it's as hot as it is (if a heat desert) by having character worse and worse in either health or skills, preferably both (only fully removed when back to and rested in less heat and if resting inside tent only recovering part of what was lost until such a time).
    Sandy deserts having a prints mechanic as well, reduced and removed over time with natural winds, or instantly when a sandstorm passes.
    Rocky deserts just need the removal of moisture to be noticeable even if cold and not hot desert, though less so than in a hot one.

Rocky shores and landscapes with lots of exploring needed, caves, valleys, caverns, are also fun.
  • faisal108faisal108 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    i like oasis in deserts, mountains, and gardens filled with flowers and animals like butterflies.
    i like the dwarven mines
    ilke to be in the Arabian nights mostly.