Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Biomes. Limitations due to the games lore.

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
I was about to make a post in the dev discussion about biomes, but as I was writting it I realized it's not possible to have Lothric Castle or Wall of Lothric or Cathedral of the damned or Abyss Watchers biomes (the whole Dark Souls 3 map would have been an awsome influence for an mmorpg).

This is because in AoC we are supposed to settle on a new land since our world was destroyed.
We are supposed to be heroes of a world with nothing to show.

Personally I dont like the concept of heroes from a destroyed world.
I would rather an existing world with its castles, towers, dark monasteries, cultist caves and hideouts.

In a world that is populated for thousands of years, many secret organizations and communities have build their own bases. And leveling up in a zone lets say the Lothric Castle from DS3 brings amazement to you about the greatness and power/influence of those that dwelve in that castle.

DS3 has so little lore, but I bet once you played that game, because of the zones it took you through, you couldnt stop googling about information on characters, events and lore.

Wilderness is grear. All biomes are great. There is none that I wouldnt enjoy leveling up in.

But if in the world of AoC there isnt real civilazation except for us, from the destroyed world, then how can there be structures such as:
Castles
Towers
Warn torn battlefields
Cemetaries
Shrines
Sanctuaries
Catacombs
Secret Order hideouts
Damned Villages
Summit Altars

What about our races?
Elves humans dark elves orcs dwarves etc etc?
We will never see their organized communities, traditions, trials, kings or feuds. Honorary Orders.

Again, with 0 written lore DS3 is a terrific world, that combines wilderness and ruins/structures.

I am not too warm to the heroes from a destroyed world concept.

New Metropolis can develop from players in a world that was never destroyed.
An ancient world, full of conflict, tragedy, secrecy and blood.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We get to have ruins! If you remember that trailer we saw a month or so ago, then you also remember the city we saw.
    That city was supposedly a ruined elven settlement!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    All of those can exist because the world wasn't blasted into nothingness, just becoming effectively uninhabitable. We're returning to verra, much like emerging from a vault to the wasteland in fallout.
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    The apocalypse wasn't a great nuke wiping all traces of civilization off the map, it was a foreign plague corrupting the minds of all to which we had no cure or resistance. You can think of it as a high fantasy zombie apocalypse. Civilization wasn't destroyed, it was abandoned, and those who didn't evacuate in time tore each other apart in those abandoned castles, cathedrals and cities.

A thousand years later we return, hoping the plague has burned itself out. Wood has rotted, stone is worn, metal corroded, magic faded. Few structures can withstand being neglected for a millennia, but some still do.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ilisfet wrote: »
    The apocalypse wasn't a great nuke wiping all traces of civilization off the map, it was a foreign plague corrupting the minds of all to which we had no cure or resistance. You can think of it as a high fantasy zombie apocalypse. Civilization wasn't destroyed, it was abandoned, and those who didn't evacuate in time tore each other apart in those abandoned castles, cathedrals and cities.

A thousand years later we return, hoping the plague has burned itself out. Wood has rotted, stone is worn, metal corroded, magic faded. Few structures can withstand being neglected for a millennia, but some still do.

The above is just what happened and about the only thing I could add is to say lesser races were left behind with the corruption twisting them into new forms. Then there were the tulnar who evolved, there is so much scope to create all manner of biomes with all manner of weird and wonderful creatures to populate then.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I dont like the concept of heroes from a destroyed world.
    I would rather an existing world with its castles, towers, dark monasteries, cultist caves and hideouts.

I'm of the opposite mindset. The appeal of Ashes (to me) is building the world. We were advertised heroes from a destroyed world. That's what we are getting. There WILL, however, be existing society as Varkun stated, and likely much to be learned and discovered from them. The 'depth' of these societies I believe is still up in the air, but you may find some of the elements you are looking for.
    In a world that is populated for thousands of years, many secret organizations and communities have build their own bases. And leveling up in a zone lets say the Lothric Castle from DS3 brings amazement to you about the greatness and power/influence of those that dwelve in that castle.

Sounds nice, but these are more single player elements IMO. Would you rather discover a society, or create it?

I think there will be plenty of amazement and pride in Ashes as you work hard to level your node, then fight to protect it or bring down others. The feeling of history, however, might be lacking.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    like people have mentioned above, Verra wasn't nuked. Structures still exist just overrun and unkept.
    Also If I recall steven in the past has mentioned that there are other races in-game that survived during this time and one that will greet the player upon arrival in some form.

The tulnar as a playable race was left behind as well and we know very little to how they survived and what type of civilization they built.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I played Dark Souls 3. I never played the others. The story was nice, but I never felt compelled to learn more about any of the characters. I also believe the only landscape that the DS3 map is suited for, is a world dominated by un/dead.

I agree with those that have already posted. A big part of the intrigue for me is the new lands and ancient ruins.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Makinoji wrote: »
    like people have mentioned above, Verra wasn't nuked. Structures still exist just overrun and unkept.
    Also If I recall steven in the past has mentioned that there are other races in-game that survived during this time and one that will greet the player upon arrival in some form.

The tulnar as a playable race was left behind as well and we know very little to how they survived and what type of civilization they built.

The Tulnar are supposed to consist of 3/4 races, that maneged to flee into the underrealm. They are also supposed to have a caste system.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Their are two groups of survivors. The first group fled Verra through the gates leading to a distant sanctuary where magic, and the corruption, could not exist. The second group fled to the depths of Verra where they were shielded from the worst of the corruption's influence, though they did not escape unscathed.

Those who failed to flee through the portal or into the underground caer, suffered the worst the corruption could inflict - for most this was a painful death, they were the lucky ones. For the rest it was a life worse than death.

However, according to what we know of the lore, we know little of either because for those who fled through the gates, even the stories and myths of the time have been all but forgotten - save for the knowledge that it is a world that was lost to us through some great catastrophe. For those who survived in the underground caers, who evidently are just now tentatively returning to the surface, the scars of the corruption remain, the fear of the surface is real, but the knowledge of that fear's cause is almost completely lost. Both groups are returning to a world that, like the legendary phoenix, is now reviving from its own ashes . . . what else remains, well we will have to wait and see.