Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Development Roadmap?

ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I'm aware this has been discussed in the past, however i'd like to brings its ugly face to the surface again.
I personally would love to see some sort of timeline that shows Ideas or projections of wanted results by I.S..
Can we please have some sort of Dev Roadmap from I.S.???

Though, I understand that steven doesn't want to set a date and miss the deadline. So, if not a timeline like the example photo below, at least give a list of set goals in chronological order without dates. Hopefully the list would be a little more verbose than examples giving on the wiki.

What I'd like to see and/or know: What has been accomplished so far, Expected completion of Node video series, Which nodes, if any, have been developed fully to Metro, Which races have been completed, Which classes/archetypes have been fully designed/thoughtout so far (not only 3D modeled), Has the Sea/waves animations/environmentals been completed, Which seasons have been implemented so far, Alpha 1 goal, etc..

This picture is strictly for a visual example. I have not played nor do I endorse or am promoting this game
in any way:
J9Gamsd.jpg

Do you guys think I'm asking or expecting too much?
Thank you all for your comments.
[img][/img]

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We have had two timelines at this point, and both have fallen flat and IS know that. I would only expect a roadmap after alpha one, and even that is wishful thinking
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash,

How about a chronological list without dates, that's more intrinsic than just the testing phases? Wouldn't that be possible without having to worry about meeting deadlines?
    [img][/img]
    ShadowVen wrote: »
    Nagash,

How about a chronological list without dates, that's more intrinsic than just the testing phases? Wouldn't that be possible without having to worry about meeting deadlines?

Well, we have that already in the testing dates what else would you want on a games roadmap? so far we have
    • APOC BR
    • APOC CS
    • APOC HM
    • Alpha 1
    • Alpha 2
    • Beta 1
    • Beta 2
    • Release
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    edited October 2019
    lol Nagash, did you read the OP? ;P
    ... Hopefully the list would be a little more verbose than examples given on the wiki.

What I'd like to see and/or know: What has been accomplished so far, Expected completion of Node video series, Which nodes, if any, have been developed fully to Metro, Which races have been completed, Which classes/archetypes have been fully designed/thoughtout so far (not only 3D modeled), Has the Sea/waves animations/environmentals been completed, Which seasons have been implemented so far, Alpha 1 goal, etc.....

[img][/img]
    lol Nagash, did you read the OP? ;P
    ... Hopefully the list would be a little more verbose than examples given on the wiki.

What I'd like to see and/or know: What has been accomplished so far, Expected completion of Node video series, Which nodes, if any, have been developed fully to Metro, Which races have been completed, Which classes/archetypes have been fully designed/thoughtout so far (not only 3D modeled), Has the Sea/waves animations/environmentals been completed, Which seasons have been implemented so far, Alpha 1 goal, etc.....

I did read and like I said before they gave out roadmaps for most of these which failed. In some cases, they are not willing to talk about it, such as classes. I would love to see an exact roadmap of the game, but I don't hold much hope, heck I have seen teenagers with better management skill then intrepid.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• IS has stated that there will be no announcements until they are sure they can 100% launch something. Then we will get a date.

As @Nagash has said, we do have a timeline without dates. APOC, Alphas, Betas, Launch.

At work is your boss such a micromanager that they need that much information on what you have done and what you will do that you expect the same?
    Games development, or any development, takes time and there are setbacks. Wise companies learn to keep nitty gritty details tight to their vests until launch of the project.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love to see all the information that you are looking for. But I don't expect to get it ahead of time. After reading pretty much the entire Wiki during their giveaway (Yay, got a griffon! Boo, no cloaks), I think they are releasing information at about the right pace. Not too much ahead of time, as they want to give people something to find out after AoC has launched.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have been adamant in the past about debating the negatives of this type of thread/post. However, over the past 6 months it has appeared to me that the only roadmap IS had was for Apoc.

Therefore, I too would like to change my vote.
    I would like them to post a time scale. I would like them to update it as they go along it. Some people will be upset when deadlines are missed, which I still believe would be unreasonable, but at this point it would be nice to know that IS actually has a timeline for Ashes.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Development roadmap is worthless.
    We can't even get reasonable releases for Nodes 3 or the Divine Nodes article.
    edited November 2019
    a road map from intrepid would just be this

1. Soon™
    2. Soon™
    3. Soon™
    4. Soon™
    5. Soon™
    6. Soon™
    7. Soon™
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I like the idea of roadmap without dates.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
    ferryman wrote: »
    I like the idea of roadmap without dates.

Thanks! =D Me too
    [img][/img]

thats just a vague plan with nothing to hold the devs accountable just look at anthems roadmap
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Why do we need such a detailed roadmap? We have gotten a lot of information already.
    Unfortunately, in all development, there are setbacks and changes. If a roadmap is handed out now, there will be many (it has happened before) who will then howl that something has changed or pushed back.

This is why they are not giving out information until they are 100% sure it will happen. This is also the problem with showing this game this early. A lot of people look at it and say it is crap and will never go anywhere without even taking into account where we are. If they just wait, they will see better things over time (just look back a year!). We now get a livestream each month. Why don't we transcribe what is said into a roadmap? This will also relieve IS from wasting time updating us all the time with any changes.
    We don't know where we are. That's the concern.
    Only gauge we have is - still no Castle Siege in Apoc yet.
    Dygz wrote: »
    We don't know where we are. That's the concern.
    Only gauge we have is - still no Castle Siege in Apoc yet.

it's funny because the videos they should of sieges in the past look finished and then we see the latest one and it looks pre pre-alpha
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The destruction they're going for seems way more detailed and intensive now.
    Makes me wonder how well AI will deal with pathing around those changes in the MMORPG.
    That was a problem for Landmark and H1Z1.
  • Nagash wrote: »

thats just a vague plan with nothing to hold the devs accountable just look at anthems roadmap

Even so, still it is better than nothing. ;)

I do not mind if the exact dates are there or not, but when we actually see, that those development milestones in the roadmap are actually accomplished, it will show that the progression is still there and we are going somewhere. Atm the next steps in the roadmap are mainly (if not all them) related for Apoc, and because of that, IS is very cautious to announce anything.

Generally speaking of the dates in a roadmap, I do not see a need to announce exact dates, but for example Qs of specific years would be enough. Sometimes unexpected problems may appear, but even in some of those situations it is also about a poor risk management. If a company can not schedule and implement their development in Quarters, then they are quite incompetent managing projects.
    Again, it has been more than a quarter since the Divine Nodes article was due, so...
  • I’d like to see progress being made toward in-game racial models, development cycles of a node from settlement to metropolis, a rough implementation of gathering/refining/crafting, some form of character creation beyond picking an outfit and choosing male or female with pointy or not pointy ears. Even something simple like hair color, some preset face shapes, skin tone options.
    IS doesn't want to put in writing anything that people can *#&^$*!% about later, and a lot of people want detailed roadmaps.

How about a compromise. What if IS publishes things that are completely finished? i.e. once the horse is fully finished (design, rigged, animated, etc.) we get told.

Of course, since the number of iterations that it takes to make sure an object is completely finished is high, we won't see much information until just before launch (for some objects, after launch).
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited November 2019
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash,

Well, we have that already in the testing dates what else would you want on a games roadmap? so far we have
    • APOC BR
    • APOC CS
    • APOC HM
    • Alpha 1
    • Alpha 2
    • Beta 1
    • Beta 2
    • Release

Actually this was changed multiple times now It's something like this

BR
    Castle Siege
    Improved Castle Siege
    Alpha 1
    Horde Mode

Alpha 2
    Beta 1 = Subject to change
    Beta 2
    Release

I do think we should get a vague content road-map with 3 headlines; 'Now' 'In development' 'Future'. Things would move from 'Future' to 'In development' and to 'Now' for both Alpha 1 and APOC > which then would further help Alpha 2 etc.
    signature.png
    Magic Man wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nagash,

• APOC BR
    • APOC CS
    • APOC HM
    • Alpha 1
    • Alpha 2
    • Beta 1
    • Beta 2
    • Release

Actually this was changed multiple times now It's something like this

BR
    Castle Siege
    Improved Castle Siege
    Alpha 1
    Horde Mode

Alpha 2
    Beta 1 = Subject to change
    Beta 2
    Release

I do think we should get a vague content road-map with 3 headlines; 'Now' 'In development' 'Future'. Things would move from 'Future' to 'In development' and to 'Now' for both Alpha 1 and APOC > which then would further help Alpha 2 etc.

I was being vague but you are correct
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• How about a compromise. What if IS publishes things that are completely finished? i.e. once the horse is fully finished (design, rigged, animated, etc.) we get told.

Publishing things that are finished is quite standard policy, so calling it a compromise or a roadmap sounds quite odd tbh. And with roadmap people means something a little bit more meaningful milestones than horses. :D

It is weird that other gaming companies are able to show their development roadmap, but IS is not... I can see two reasons for this, either the content of the roadmap is something, which does not stand daylight or they are simply unable to stay with the schedule.
    Or they have been yelled at before for making a change to the roadmap.
    Or they have been yelled at before for making a change to the roadmap.

A lot of those changes have brought more problems
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Or they have been yelled at before for making a change to the roadmap.

Yeah maybe, but there must be a reason why. ;)
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d like to see progress being made toward in-game racial models, development cycles of a node from settlement to metropolis, a rough implementation of gathering/refining/crafting, some form of character creation beyond picking an outfit and choosing male or female with pointy or not pointy ears. Even something simple like hair color, some preset face shapes, skin tone options.
    We can see some skin tones and hair color in Apoc, but...
    Yes, we should be seeing rendered models for Dwarves, Orcs and Elves by now.
    It's concerning that we're not... if the game is supposed to release before 2021.
    Seems like we should have some idea of when Dwarf models will be available in Apoc since Castle Siege includes a Dwarf castle.
    Supposedly we have an option for Elves in Apoc, but that's really just pointed ears that are barely noticeable.
    edited November 2019
    It is weird that other gaming companies are able to show their development roadmap, but IS is not... I can see two reasons for this, either the content of the roadmap is something, which does not stand daylight or they are simply unable to stay with the schedule.
    I dunno that it's weird that IS doesn't want to share a roadmap.
    It is weird that IS supposedly wants to be more transparent but... we can't get Nodes 3 or the Divine Nodes article. And that we don't have any more info on the other 4 primary archetypes, yet. And that we don't have renders of other races besides Humans.
    Actually, almost feels like Landmark was farther along at this point than Ashes is. I think Landmark had mobs in combat already. (I guess A0 did have some mobs...)

• Dygz wrote: »
    I dunno that it's weird that IS doesn't want to share a roadmap.
    It is weird that IS supposedly wants to be more transparent but... we can't get Nodes 3 or the Divine Nodes article. And that we don't have any more info on the other 4 primary archetypes, yet. And that we don't have renders of other races besides Humans.
    Actually, almost feels like Landmark was farther along at this point than Ashes is. I think Landmark had mobs in combat already. (I guess A0 did have some mobs...)

Introducing a roadmap is quite standard if we are talking about a crowdfunding game where people have invested money at the beginning of the development. It is only fair to show backers the progression of the product, because they have supported it financially. This is basic business stuff. If we talk about a company which fund their game without individual backers, then the public transparency is ofc more up to developers. So in IS case it is a little bit weird if they can not or want to share their roadmap with backers.

And if those who have invest money on this game do not want any proof of the progression, sounds a little bit weird to me also. I do not judge them, it is their own decision, but I am used to follow targets which I have invested. It is only a smart thing to do.