Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Suggestion] New Player Tutorial

DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
So we've all been there.
A new game comes out and you don't know what the *fudge* is going on. 9Kkybr9.png

Rest assured, alot of games come equipped with band-aids, and safety crash course lessons for any upcoming professional (like yourself) to tackle the many different personalities of the Battlefield.

PolymorphPowerRanger.gif

Polymorphing power rangers are no match for you with training at your side... Oh? The Apocalypse does not lead you through the game systems? I was promised band-aids HELLO?! Where are my band-aids?

Joking aside, lets be honest here. First impressions are everything, and just like an open sandbox game, you can get lost without a sense of direction. Lots of players are able to find similarities between other games and new games, so controls come easy. While others suffer at the whim of a learning curve. Games like APEX, Planetside 2, Call of Duty, Squad, and just about every other game on the market, just like an MMORPG gives you time and slowly introduces you to the game's mechanics, away from getting absolutely blasted by veteran players.
(and keeping you from looking like this... most of the time)
c7A6bo0.jpg

As nice as tips and floating advice pop on the screen, i am advocating for the new players here. First impressions are everything, and getting thrown straight into a match is frustrating. While others may pick up on controls quickly, it may take someone a few games before figuring out their sensitivity settings, keybinds, and others. I can vouch for players, that being frustrated is not fun.

PROPOSAL

Add a training course that takes you through the basics of WASD, Crouching, Sprinting, and to have a enemy npc that respawns after you kill him. Have an assortment of weapons and a respawning pool for mana, so new players and veterans alike can test their weapons, sensitivity, and other unimaginable things that someone would want to do offline. Think of it as a way to test checkpoints, and questing for the MMORPG.

Besides that, I hope everyone has a great day, and i'm hopeful something is done before siege goes public. Let's bake this Banana Bread to perfection! Look forward to a retention forum post from me soon!

Comments

• ChaoserChaoser Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    I second that motion. However while it would be incredibly helpful to have something of the sort it might be another thing the community members who oppose the BR might take as a point of argument that the BR is taking too much resources from the MMO. So as an intro to such a system could possibly be something much simpler that cant be argued against nearly as easily which would just be a freeplay mode. One would think it takes close to no resources away from the MMO while still serving a similar purpose as a tutorial, testing ground or just an easy way to explore the map for exploration enthusiasts. Maybe the only thing that could be added to it could possibly be a target dummy of sorts, or just anything that can take damage and possibly show damage numbers. In my opinion something like this would serve its purpose as a tutorial much more efficiently and would be easier for Intrepid (at least logically speaking. I'm not a dev so wouldn't know if it actually would be) without giving argumentative fuel for those against the BR.
    uNIJtZO.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that this would be a good idea. Many people dont know how to dash through the air for example,or how to repair their armour.
    An obstacle course, where movement is explained, and a weapon range would be nice in my opinion.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    edited November 2019
    Chaoser wrote: »
    I second that motion. However while it would be incredibly helpful to have something of the sort it might be another thing the community members who oppose the BR might take as a point of argument that the BR is taking too much resources from the MMO. So as an intro to such a system could possibly be something much simpler that cant be argued against nearly as easily which would just be a freeplay mode. One would think it takes close to no resources away from the MMO while still serving a similar purpose as a tutorial, testing ground or just an easy way to explore the map for exploration enthusiasts. Maybe the only thing that could be added to it could possibly be a target dummy of sorts, or just anything that can take damage and possibly show damage numbers. In my opinion something like this would serve its purpose as a tutorial much more efficiently and would be easier for Intrepid (at least logically speaking. I'm not a dev so wouldn't know if it actually would be) without giving argumentative fuel for those against the BR.
    Damokles wrote: »
    I think that this would be a good idea. Many people dont know how to dash through the air for example,or how to repair their armour.
    An obstacle course, where movement is explained, and a weapon range would be nice in my opinion.

Alone, generally any kind of "Playground" to mess around with settings and stuff, to learn on your own time, is a happy little option. Glad to see others in agreement <3

Bob-Ross_1-1024x693.png

happy trees.
  • RumloxRumlox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just let it die. The sooner they stop wasting time polishing the br the better.
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
    rumlox wrote: »
    Just let it die. The sooner they stop wasting time polishing the br the better.

This is for siege, but it can be used for the BR and even horde mode too uwu.
  • RumloxRumlox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fooshyy wrote: »

This is for siege, but it can be used for the BR and even horde mode too uwu.

I think it is a good idea for sure, but maybe just a quick video. A tutorial for apoc no matter what part doesn't really help the MMO.
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
  • ChaoserChaoser Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    rumlox wrote: »

I think it is a good idea for sure, but maybe just a quick video. A tutorial for apoc no matter what part doesn't really help the MMO.

Hence why I suggested just the freeplay. A video can only teach you so much (if people even watch it), but taking too many resources away from the MMO is no good either. Freeplay can also be useful to both brand new players and more experienced ones.
    uNIJtZO.png
    Spawn in a little arena, have some stuffs. Yeee
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    I am all for tutorials as long as they follow 2 key principles:

1. They should be 100% optional. I do not need a tutorial to tell me basic movement controls for an mmorpg. I've played enough of them to know how it works. Making me sit through a tutorial for it is just going to piss me off. On the other hand, someone who has never played an mmorpg before would benefit from such a tutorial.

2. They should be repeatable. Quite often you stop playing a game for a few months and then come back and you have completely forgotten what the controls were. Being able to access tutorials after you have already done them is invaluable for getting returning players back up the speed.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    The quests act as a kind of strange tutorial because they force you to use certain weapons or.. do stuff.

As an Apoc newbie I have a lot to say on this issue but I'm behind on a lot of videos so I'll type it here if you don't mind.

The easiest way to make Apoc fair to newbies is through the match making system. Match players up by kill ratio. That shouldn't be too hard or take up too much time. That way people don't cry that it's delaying the MMO. However, not enough people playing the game to make it work. :(

They should have done that from the get go. Instead what happened is all the Steam newbies where thrown in with a pack of wolves who slaughtered them. On top of that, the newbs had to do the quests to get the points so it was like playing with one hand tied behind my back, while the veterans didn't need the points and could use their favorite weapons/combos etc... I'm a Steam newbie.

I was watching Krojak on Youtube the other day (Mrkrojak) and he said he's been playing for a year. I've been playing for 3 weeks since this is my first time in Apoc, so who do you think is going to win that match up? He is of course, and that's what happened. Now as a newb, I thought of quitting several times. I even went into Discord to complain. "I hate this game." I said. "It would be more fun if I didn't die after 10 seconds." And that's how it was until they announce the Emberstorm Dragon. I kept playing because I really wanted it. A couple of days after I unlocked it they announced the Pumpkin Armor and I wanted that until I saw someone wearing it. However, I also wanted the red armor and the white griffin so I kept playing, and of course there's embers to win, which I'm going to save for the MMO, probably. Anyway, there were enough good rewards to keep me playing. It was hard, but I made it.

Then an interesting thing happened. As soon as people hit lvl 50 they stopped playing and the game was mostly strugglers like me. The top players leveled up first so that just left regular people like me and the game was fun because now I had a chance to win and I started killing 1 or 2 people per game. Yay! Fun!

Until Oct 31st.
    People either leveled up or quit and now it's just the best players again who came back after a small break because they love the game. This convinced me that there needs to be some sort of sorting process. As people dropped out after hitting lvl 50 they sorted themselves out. Top players hit it first, then medium players, then strugglers. When you started having fun is where your level of play is. I'm somewhere between medium and low. We'll see it when the leaderboards come online. I think the matchmaking has to be fixed to match people up by kill ratio, 'cause I'm lvl 50, but there's no way I killed as many people as #1, who is also lvl 50.

And that's what I have to say about that. :)
    fNX2ISa.png

Yep, big rough. No elo to match people together. But no people to play. You know why people stopped playing. There was nothing else to do. Why I put up my current Retention thread. So if we got hundreds of people farming, there's bound to be some like skilled players.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’m a carebear, but I don’t want matchmaking - I especially don’t want to sit in a queue waiting to be matched based on kills.
    It’s typically easy enough to get 2nd or 3rd place with no kills.