Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

After Launch Expansion Discussion

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Once Ashes launches and matures, what is the general vision of keeping the game exciting beyond the built-in dynamics? I absolutely applaud horde mode to keep a server from becoming stagnant! Understood that we can anticipate the development team changing the environment based on how players build that server – it takes time and money by itself. Beyond that – will there be expansions, or will Intrepid work on morphing the landscape within the allotted expanse?

In my opinion, I wouldn’t mind paying to unlock expansions (like some other MMOs). Then again, do Braver and above kickstarters feel that this is unfair to ‘lifetime’ and above backers? Haven’t seen posts specific to this topic. This may seem way ahead of where we are in development. Yet a discussion worthy of initial feedback. Please post updates or your thoughts here. Many thanks.

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    ba0d08262234a10162efba382b1a5e70.png
    Specifically asked and answered during a livestream if Intrepid would wordsmith DLC to not mean "expansion" at a future date. Example "We said DLC were part of the subscription, but this is an expansion, so give us $60!"
    Answer was no.
    Previous statements of future content were small monthly content drops with larger quarterly. If they can keep that schedule to satisfy the content lemmings, more power to them.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Darksaber wrote: »
    Flaming Petrine Cross
    I thought you were my hero then I realized that didn’t say poutine.

Hhak63P.png
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If content becomes pay to play on top of the subscription I would feel cheated. You can only play the base game so long after expansions are added before you or the content you have access to becomes irrelevant.

If I was paying a sub, and got to a quest and was told the quest it part of the expansion and cost $20. I would probably stop paying the sub, stop playing, and find a new game. >Looking at you EA/Ubisoft<
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azathoth wrote: »
    If content becomes pay to play on top of the subscription I would feel cheated. You can only play the base game so long after expansions are added before you or the content you have access to becomes irrelevant.

If I was paying a sub, and got to a quest and was told the quest it part of the expansion and cost $20. I would probably stop paying the sub, stop playing, and find a new game. >Looking at you EA/Ubisoft<

I think that GW2 did a good job. They released free worldstory regularly and extra expansions nowadays (now that they stopped being a subscription model)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Azathoth wrote: »

I totally agree with your point on if you come across a quest and are told you need an expansion for it, but I am personally fine with paying a sub and paying for expansions.

I know Intrepid have said they won't and thats cool, but I've yet to come across an MMO that added a reasonable amount of content to the game without charging for it. Their call, and if that's what they have said, that is what they have to stick to.

Some games (WoW) charge for new content yet still don't add what I would consider a reasonable amount of new content.

My expectation (assuming the developer wants to keep players in game long term) is a WoW expansion sized DLC every year.

Both EQ games have managed this (or near this), with EQ having 25 expansions to date and EQ2 having 15.

These expansions are the only reason these two games are still live and turning a profit.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ba0d08262234a10162efba382b1a5e70.png
    Specifically asked and answered during a livestream if Intrepid would wordsmith DLC to not mean "expansion" at a future date. Example "We said DLC were part of the subscription, but this is an expansion, so give us $60!"
    Answer was no.
    Previous statements of future content were small monthly content drops with larger quarterly. If they can keep that schedule to satisfy the content lemmings, more power to them.

It was already confirmed that expansions were included in subscription.

EQ and EQ2 are still good games in my opinion, but then I paid a sub for 17 years... I liked the amount of extra that they put in most of the expansions, but really don't mind not paying the large amounts for an them. I am looking forward to being with this game for many years to come and playing with kids, grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, etc. (well, my name does currently start with 'undead'...).