Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How would you handle guild diplomacy?

So in a world where there are hundreds of guilds from multiple dimensional spans, there will be diplomacy and/or conflict. As a guild member/leader or even a non-guild member, how would you handle the 'politics' involved? Do you have to adhere to your guild policy that is stated in the Guilds section and all over Discord in *every* situation, for fear of public scrutiny? Or is it love for your guild members that you fear change? How would you handle a situation that might lead your guild to go to war with another guild? Perhaps once they were your friend/family/ally? Would you send emissaries? Destroy every node in sight that belongs to said guild? Perhaps have an 'ambassador' assigned that can handle these political issues. Ahmad ibn Fadlan?

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    kill them all
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would say: "Let them come! They are not the first, and by far not the last, to try and breach these walls! Many have tried, and they all failed. We got rations enough to get us through winter, and when they all freeze to death, we will be happy and wholesome next to our fires! Remember my boy, Invaders flee quickly, Defenders hold until their last breath!"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would crush the other guilds, see them driven before me, and hear their lamentations on Discord.

Hhak63P.png
  • BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Crush them in game and in spirit via glorious trash talking and merciless spawn camping. <3 Who need allies when ur might alone is enough to wipe out an army. The dark empire needs no friends.
    Dont join guilds with policies against that since they are but a stepping stone for the real predators.

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I ignore all the bs and trash talking.
    Once the battle horns sound, I might jump in.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
    Atama wrote: »
    I would crush the other guilds, see them driven before me, and hear their lamentations on Discord.

can I have the bones later?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

Everything except the skulls, they are needed somewere else...
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seduce the guild leader
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter

I giggled at this... I have a dirty mind sorry
    Damokles wrote: »

Everything except the skulls, they are needed somewere else...

Thats fine I can get skulls from somewhere else
    Makinoji wrote: »

I giggled at this... I have a dirty mind sorry

you dare sully the purity of bones with filth
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited November 2019
    Darksaber wrote: »
    So in a world where there are hundreds of guilds from multiple dimensional spans, there will be diplomacy and/or conflict. As a guild member/leader or even a non-guild member, how would you handle the 'politics' involved? Do you have to adhere to your guild policy that is stated in the Guilds section and all over Discord in *every* situation, for fear of public scrutiny? Or is it love for your guild members that you fear change? How would you handle a situation that might lead your guild to go to war with another guild? Perhaps once they were your friend/family/ally? Would you send emissaries? Destroy every node in sight that belongs to said guild? Perhaps have an 'ambassador' assigned that can handle these political issues. Ahmad ibn Fadlan?

As a former guild leader, I would have to say that trying to uphold the policies that you and or your council have implemented 100% of the time is setting yourself up for failure.

If the structure of the guild is properly built then the GM shouldn't have to deal with petty issues or squabbling, that would be the job of a lesser officer. Sure the final decision would be relayed to the GM or CO GM but that's about it.

Now if someone surpasses the chain of command and heads to the GM directly that's when the problem becomes a breakdown of the system and that system should be reevaluated.

Rule of thumb for me personally when I was a GM was that I wouldn't call anyone out or publicly shame them. If it could be resolved privately then I would but if that individual decided to take it upon themselves and soapbox it then the best thing was to just cut ties, wash my hands of it and continue to provide the best experience for the other guildmates.

As for the opposing guild dilemma. It would not be smart of any guild to think people are honest and trustworthy. Spies or delegates are always a necessity.

Things get ugly real quick when say another GM becomes power-hungry or gets offered a better deal from another guild. Sabotage is any man's game. Know your enemy better than you know yourself.
  • I plan on doing business with anyone with enough gold for it. Guild politics are a hassle so I avoid it.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You can have whatever shards are scattered about the countryside, sure thing.

Hhak63P.png

You can have whatever shards are scattered about the countryside, sure thing.

glad to hear
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2019
    In the early stages, guild members interaction with the rest of the outside community would shape the alliances and emnities between your guild and other guilds.
    Once an alliance of say 3-4 guilds is formed, then it is natural to have a feeling of us against the server.

And then the server ends up with two sides, not necesserily formal, but the two sides which will never be friends. And all the other guilds and alliances partake in these wars.

And it is beautiful.