Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Wildlife of Verra

Hello everyone.
I would like to know how do you feel about those real life inspiration for the wildlife of Verra ?
Personally I m not yet sure if I like the way they are taking , some are awesome and others are mhe .
The drake and the mount from the last dev live where very good , but the hybrid plesiosaur/turtle is weird for me.

The inspiration of real wildlife took me a bit out of the fantasy world they promise us , but it's maybe just me and my knowledge of real wildlife...

But still I'm aware that they had to take there inspiration somewhere with that kind of project ^^"

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The wildlife is dictated by the environment, and from what we've seen the environments are very much "Earth"-based so it makes sense that the wildlife would also be very "Earth-like". Of course, so far we've only really seen forests and therefore forest-dwelling creatures. I don't know what other kinds of environments Intrepid are planning but hopefully it will give us a bit more diversity in the wildlife.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally like seeing creatures and plants that are inspired by those on earth. It allows me to get immersed into the game more. If things look too alien I have a hard time connecting with the world. That’s just my personal preference though.
  • I understand your point , I guess we probably will have both of it.

Fun fact Alien is inspired of a fish from the abyss
    And most of the alien you have seen in movies are microscopic living beings that have been set on our scale. ;)
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gimlog wrote: »
    I understand your point , I guess we probably will have both of it.

Fun fact Alien is inspired of a fish from the abyss
    And most of the alien you have seen in movies are microscopic living beings that have been set on our scale. ;)

We’re talking about two different things. When I say alien I’m referring to the overall outlandish meaning of the word that can encompass a variety of things. Not whatever notion you have of alien from movies.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alien
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I want the bulk of creatures to be somewhat recognizable, and I want the bulk of environments to be the same.

This kind of follows logically though, the same types of animals (generally speaking) should inhabit the same types of areas.

That said, I love the concept Bethesda took with Morrowind in comparison with the rest of Tamriel - the landscape was totally different and so that specific area also had totally different fauna and flora. I personally think having an area this far removed from what we know of and see every day is a good thing for a fantasy game, and I have no doubts we will see this wit the Underrealm in Ashes.

Even if Intrepid had concept art of flora or fauna from the Underrealm ready to show now, I wouldn't want to see them unless we were also shown the full environment. It's too hard to contextualize something alien like that without the right context.

• @vmangman thanks for the precision, English isn't my mother language so i didn't know .

Well I better understand your point this way.
  • Yeah noaani I agree for the logically that as to be between environmental and fauna. And base on this I probably would accept most of the designs.

For the underworld , from what they showed, I see it as a Avatar and ARK Aberration fluorescent like wold , would be fun
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like that there are some creatures that are Earth inspired. That allows you to accept the not so normal creatures easier.
    You see something familiar, it relaxes you a bit. Then it is not as glaring when you see something like the Quarrier. Along with some familiar plant life, everything seems homier (especially if I can get a big screen for my Freehold!).
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It is always hard to imagine totally new creatures.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Yeah , with a step back I shouldn't feel it weird while I'm used to see hypogriff.
    I guess with time I'll be use to it.

A others stuff from the last live is this new visual effect they add at there 3D models , this shiny effect make me feel like there where toys ^^"
  • leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I do not like too weird creatures like the dawnbreaker. I like earth-like and fantasy beast fat push to be very creative and fun!
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So far, the horse and bear are amazing digital versions. The griffons are good, and I love the quarriors. Having a nice blend of 'natural' and fantasy creatures will make it a living, breathing world.
    I especially love that they are putting the little animations like the bear sniffing in. Makes it feel a bit homier (dangerous, but homey).
  • Someone already write it above, its kind of difficult to imagine other kinds of creatures or to come with original desings, but I hope they can manage to bring some original flora and fauna to the game, after all, if EVERYTHING come in similar shapes and colors of real life animals and plants, at some point it could be boring, i have hope in the desing team, specially for the under realm stuff :#
    giphy.gif
  • Since Verra is a world in which magic is, or was, a defining factor. I would think that the natural wildlife would have adapted to a life in that kind of environment, and over the ages in which Verra has been slowly recovering from the corruption it should not be to surprising to find creatures that have adapted to the corruption as well.

While at a surface level such wildlife may seem similar, those who have been absent from Verra's surface during this time of upheaval would be wise not to let their guard down because a creature looks familiar.

Just because it looks like a harmless black squirrel does not necessarily make it so. All creatures, from the greatest to the smallest either adapted or became extinct.
  • KaselKasel Member, Founder
    The more natural wildlife the better, especially deep in the sea.. (:
  • Going back to games like UO and even SWG, when it came to wildlife it was done ok. Wild bears and big cats would attack if you got to close, or if you made too much noise around a nesting area, the mother animal would come out to run you off. ( I always killed it sorry.)
    But you can have a good A.I. when it comes to wildlife, the code for it has changed over the years, all I am going to say is don't try to reinvent the wheel ok. Use what works, and go from there.
  • I don't have a problem with the natural environment. That can be as similar to real life as IS wants it because the natural world of earth is amazing in its own right, the animals and creatures however i expected to be a little more fantasy like. I don't have a problem with the most recent bear mount but it looks almost too bear like which i guess is the point. I'd prefer minor changes that made it different to the bear we know and more towards something unnatural. I don't know if that made sense but that's my POV
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow