Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Thoughts on the 64 different combination of classes

What are your thoughts on the "64" total combination of classes? So far the table on classes is all we've got. What type of skills would a fighter/tank attain upon level up vs a tank/fighter upon level up?

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2019
    It is not about different abilities, a fighter/fighter will have the same base abilities as a fighter/tank. They will differ in augmentation and their stats will grow differently.

It should be better explained in my opinion.
    There are only 8 classes: fighter, tank, rogue, ranger, mage, bard, summoner, cleric.
    Each of those 8 classes has 8 subclasses. Those subclasses wont give you whole new abilities, but instead change old abilities and augment them. Those augments for example can change a charge into a forward teleport.

It is all about the intent of the specific ability, taking that intent and wrapping it in a different package.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well considering we have almost no info on most of the classes its hard to guess accurately
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Yea, it is as Nagash says. It would be easier to theory craft if we had any definitive info on class identity or specific abilities even. What is a summoner going to do? Different MMOs have different ways of defining a summoner, so predicting abilities is tough. What is the difference between Fighter and Tank? Are they too similar? Are they extremely different? Without answers to these questions, it is difficult.
  • nefelianefelia Member, Intrepid Pack
    Each class should have a variety of abilities that differ greatly from each other. A fighter, for instance, should have access to abilities such as lunge, toss, throw (weapons), kick, sweep (legs), cleave, grapple, smash (overhead blow), charge, leap, feint, tangle (lock weapons together), disarm, burst (quick flurry of less precise attacks), mighty blow, etc. There should be enough variety that three or four different fighters can create build that play significantly differently from the others.

Secondary abilities from class would alter the function of those abilities to reflect the general function of the second class, and in some cases change the way the ability is carried out. The example I've used before was charge: fighter/fighter would end the charge with a weapon thrust; a fighter/mage would teleport with no attack, but not be hindered by obstacles or terrain; a fighter/summoner could pull the target towards the player; a fighter tank could end the charge with a shield smash and stun/disorient the target; a fighter/ranger could end the charge with a leaping kick that would knock the target back (or down); etc.

I hope that Intrepid Studios has enough creative designers to make the majority of the augments interesting alterations on the abilities (and therefore play style).
  • I'm not expecting any valid estimates about abilities and augment until next summer, because if you do some kick math the number of augment are huge ...
    So the quality of this augment will depend of how much people work on it.

Base on what we know so far this could be a estimation of the number of augment.

10 abilities in our hot bar ( so between 15 and 25 abilities per class is far to speculate I think )
    15x8

Every of those basic skills can be subclass augmented.
    120x8

5 from the races
    15x8

Between 7 and 10 for the religions
    15x7

1-3 from guilds
    15x1

1-2 from every NPC community ( thief , Marchant ect . We don't know yet how much there will be , I think 4 at least )
    15x4

I may forget some but number will already grow very high whit those ...
    =1335

If we don't expect to much and I didn't forgot one or two...
    Don't how much passive there will be and how much time it take to make a good looking ability but yeah the creative designers have work to do ...
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think we're probably in for a bit of a nightmare in balance, but it should be fun at least lol
  • IMO they should showcase the classes with a short video, so we have an idea what they can do. You know like a sample of their power and ability.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    granthor wrote: »
    IMO they should showcase the classes with a short video, so we have an idea what they can do. You know like a sample of their power and ability.

That would be awesome, but we will most likely get that close to the beta or release...
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We're supposed to get articles showcasing the classes at some point, but seems unlikely that even articles for the last 4 primary archetypes would be released before Jul 2020.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Damokles wrote: »
    granthor wrote: »
    IMO they should showcase the classes with a short video, so we have an idea what they can do. You know like a sample of their power and ability.
    That would be awesome, but we will most likely get that close to the beta or release...
    I have to agree.
    That kind of thing generates a lot of articles on MMO or general gaming sites if it is about an MMO with an imminent release. If it is about an MMO that is years in the future though, silence.
    As a fan of this game, I want to know as much about it as soon as I can. But also as a fan of this game, I want it to do as well as it can - and an article of 8 articles (perhaps one every 2 weeks) leading up to open beta would do good things for the game.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Don't forget that the last word was you won't get to choose your secondary til level 30. You will have a long time to think about and theory craft before you choose.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf