Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

RP Server

VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Over my many years of playing MMORPGs I’ve come to learn that RP servers in general offer a much better gaming experience through community and immersion.
Whether they are heavy RPers or not, people who join RP servers have always enhanced my play experience in MMORPGs due to their gaming values (immersion, friendliness, adventure etc).

If Intrepid does not create an official RP server (which I really hope they do), I will do my best to seek out the RP community and to together designate an unofficial RP server (NA) as we get closer to launch.

I’m interested to know how many of you are wanting to join an RP server. I know the Ashes of Creation forums contains a very small pool of the community, but still would you please comment below with your interest or lack thereof in a RP server.

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven has already said that he doesn't want to segment the community by opening an RP specific server.
    k2U15J3.png
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Azryil wrote: »
    Steven has already said that he doesn't want to segment the community by opening an RP specific server.

Did you read the post?
    I said the community can make their own unofficial RP server if Intrepid doesn’t (I know they said they wouldn’t, but I think that’s a mistake). Which is why I plan on advertising for and building up this RP community anyway as we get closer to launch. I just wanted to see if anyone on these forums is interested this early on.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The problem with RP servers: many beginners are confused by them. It is hard enough to start playing something new, not to speak of being able to handle the goldshire inn... ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm all for a player designated RP server, and I have little doubt there will be an attempt at one.
    Damokles wrote: »
    The problem with RP servers: many beginners are confused by them. It is hard enough to start playing something new, not to speak of being able to handle the goldshire inn... ;)

That’s ok. There’s more than enough veteran MMORPG players to show new players the ropes. Especially considering that overall the RP community is friendlier.
  • edited December 2019
    vmangman wrote: »
    I said the community can make their own unofficial RP server if Intrepid doesn’t (I know they said they wouldn’t, but I think that’s a mistake).

As far as I know there is no 'Toolset' like Neverwinter Nights has or Legends of Aria has that would allow the community to do this. It just 'manifests' as, "there was no expressed interest," but in actuality its more of: "AoC does not include a Client that allows the creation of a server/world."

It's actually better this way because it is a gigantic amount of time and effort that is detracted from the making of the world of Verra itself.

Also, I am not a fan of RP (Never was).
    I said the community can make their own unofficial RP server if Intrepid doesn’t (I know they said they wouldn’t, but I think that’s a mistake).

As far as I know there is no 'Toolset' like Neverwinter Nights has or Legends of Aria has that would allow the community to do this. It just 'manifests' as, "there was no expressed interest," but in actuality its more of: "AoC does not include a Client that allows the creation of a server/world."

You’re right that there won’t be a “Toolset” to make your own server, but that’s not what we’re taking about here. The lack of a “Toolset” doesn’t mean that the community can’t designate an unofficial RP server. It would take some work, but you talk to people on the various platforms (reddit, forums, discord) and inform individuals and guilds that one of the servers (once Intrepid announces their server list) will be the unofficial RP server.

Then everyone who is interested in a RP server will roll their characters there. Takes some extra work to pull off, but you don’t need a “Toolset” from the developers to make it happen.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I'm not saying it's not possible because I've seen it happen in other games but the longevity of such a thing worries me.
    I've seen this done before in TERA online but eventually, the population got so small that they merged the server into the regular PVE server.

The issue that could arise in AOC is that not many people doing the content and those RP players who want that content aren't satisfied and leave the server or stop playing altogether.
    Once that happens it wouldn't make much sense for IS to continue supporting a dead server.

Makinoji wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's not possible because I've seen it happen in other games but the longevity of such a thing worries me.
    I've seen this done before in TERA online but eventually, the population got so small that they merged the server into the regular PVE server.

The issue that could arise in AOC is that not many people doing the content and those RP players who want that content aren't satisfied and leave the server or stop playing altogether.
    Once that happens it wouldn't make much sense for IS to continue supporting a dead server.

That’s not exactly a fair comparison. Many TERA servers died because the game itself died. It’s not because RP servers themselves went down. For example in WoW the RP servers very healthy with long lasting populations.

Also, unofficial RP servers would by no means be exclusive to RP players. I myself actually am not a huge RPer, but I like to dabble and especially enjoy the environment that RP servers foster.

So with those two things in mind, if Ashes of Creation is a good game that brings in lots of players and manages to keep them, then the unofficial RP server will have a healthy population just like any other server.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It wouldn't surprise me if people in the RP community congregate on a single server, but you'll still be co-existing with players that want no part in your RP or work to actively disrupt RP activities. With out an official RP server you won't have any of the normal protections that would go along with an RP server.
    k2U15J3.png
    Azryil wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if people in the RP community congregate on a single server, but you'll still be co-existing with players that want no part in your RP or work to actively disrupt RP activities. With out an official RP server you won't have any of the normal protections that would go along with an RP server.

Of course. That’s how unofficial servers work which is why I think Intrepid is making a mistake by not offering RP players an official home. Even so, an unofficial RP server is still better than none at all.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think Steven is expecting and hoping to have role play on all servers and that there will all be role play friendly, as he identifies as a role player.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

T Elf wrote: »
    I think Steven is expecting and hoping to have role play on all servers and that there will all be role play friendly, as he identifies as a role player.

While that would be really nice, it’s unfortunately not how it works. Role players really do engage with the game and each other differently. So while it would be really cool to have role play friendly servers across the board, the truth is that a majority of the population is not interested in partaking in such a community and its interests.

So for role players to have their share of enjoyment within a community that shares their values, a designated (official or unofficial) server is very helpful. I believe that Steven’s idea of role players on all servers is wishful thinking, but not reality. They would be spread out too thinly across multiple servers and therefore lost in a sea of people who have no interest in such a community.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not sure what Steven means by roleplay because he typically talks about supporting RP Ashes via taverns - as if it's a type of table-top game or something.

I expect quite a bit of RP -staying in character- because the world will be dynamic and constantly changing. We will want to discuss the impact of our characters on the world and we will want to discuss how the changing world affects our characters.
    As opposed to a static sandbox or themepark. Especially with static themeparks, where everyone does the exact same quests, there's not much reason to chat about the virtual world because everyone has the exact same experiences.

In Ashes, we will be gossiping about the rise and fall of Nodes, how new mobs affect regions and who has control of the castles. That kind of discussion is really all that's needed for basic/minimal RP.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like to engage in some role playing but I also have to go where my guild decides so I'll just have to hope there are enough other people in the same boat.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• There's enough. The Role-Player's Association (website found in the rp section of the forums) has been dead for many moons now.
    When I first came to this new city I did not read the signs I just went from person to person and asked everyone and everything that was on the seven thousand page powerpoint presentation.
  • RP-PvP in WoW is definitely a way to go if you want go immersion and friendly people
    Mesis wrote: »
    RP-PvP in WoW is definitely a way to go if you want go immersion and friendly people

Agreed.
  • edited December 2019
    Seconded.
    P.S. Could we get a moderator or member of the staff to comment on this? Then after that take a poll and see how each and every single person in this entire community reacts to it.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Poll is not going to change the dev decision not to have separate RP or PvE servers.
    Dygz wrote: »
    Poll is not going to change the dev decision not to have separate RP or PvE servers.

We’re not trying to change the dev decision. Even though a poll could change their decision... you don’t know that it won’t change their mind. So once again, stop making stuff up.
    However, the poll would be mainly useful to see how much interest there is in the forums community right now for an unofficial RP server.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

We’re not trying to change the dev decision. Even though a poll could change their decision... you don’t know that it won’t change their mind. So once again, stop making stuff up.
    However, the poll would be mainly useful to see how much interest there is in the forums community right now for an unofficial RP server.

a poll would have to be done by intrepid and sent out to every registered (over 100000) user otherwise the data would be insignificant and not worth a dam
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

a poll would have to be done by intrepid and sent out to every registered (over 100000) user otherwise the data would be insignificant and not worth a dam

Basically this. It's unfortunate, and I totally get where OP is coming from in this situation. So I suggest just going to NA 1 and making that the unofficially rp server.
    AntVictus wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Basically this. It's unfortunate, and I totally get where OP is coming from in this situation. So I suggest just going to NA 1 and making that the unofficially rp server.

I wasn’t the one to suggest the poll in the first place. I commented on the poll idea because Dygz came in spewing nonsense.

The point of this thread was to get an idea of who’s interested and maybe meet some people that I could connect with and later on when a server list is announced we could start spreading the news about whichever server we pick to be the unofficial RP server.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I find unofficial RP's can work just fine. Especially if you have a good enough number of people interested. Hopefully a bunch of people are.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Can the players designate an unofficial RP server? Sure
    Should they? Absolutely?

Should they be ready for a medium size guild of malcontents to join that server just to fuck with the RPers? Yes they should
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Should they? Absolutely?

Should they be ready for a medium size guild of malcontents to join that server just to fuck with the RPers? Yes they should

I would be disappointed if they didn't
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Should they? Absolutely?

Of course... that’s the problem with Intrepid not being willing to create an official RP server. There will be no rules and regulations to uphold for the RP community.

But even so, an unofficial RP server is still better than no RP server. At least that way we’ll know that most of us are gathered in one place and can try to build a community.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Should they? Absolutely?

Some people just want to watch the world burn :neutral:

• If they want to enable the RP community and help it grow, they should add a RP section in the official discord. In that section they should have a discussion section were people can talk about character stories and talk about rp in general, a discussion polling section for people to see what races and classes fellow rp'ers will be going as well as when a realm list is released wed have the ability to poll which realm we all want to go on. Could also have a separate guild recruitment section specifically for rp guilds.