Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Option to run a caravan as a profession?

Sorry if this was talked about already, but I know we will have caravans, and mainly they will be set up by the town mayors or players. But I was thinking, why not have the option to have a person do this full time in-game. You would still have caravans, but maybe you can have it where a person can set up a caravan company, and take things faraway, with options to hook up land and sea operations to move items around the world. So if the regular setup is only going from Points A to B between towns, a player-controlled caravan would have options to go from A, B, C, D land then jump to 1, 2, 3 seaports. Then from 3 to E the finally town. It would let the players have more control over the long haul of moving things around, and to keep things in from getting out of control you have a contract set up to move the stuff. Yes, this would make you an in-game shipping company, it's what I am thinking. What do you guys think?

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure you can try that.
    Gatherers are going to want to move their resources in bulk.
    How well you can streamline caravan creation and maintenance is the real question, but that is probably contingent upon the ingenuity of the individual player.
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that will definitely be possible, but the big issue comes from the PvP environment.

Sure you can have some kind of contract or collateral to assure your customer that you won’t steal the goods. However, if you are such a contractor/caravan driver would you be able to also promise that you’ll defend the goods on your trip from other players?
    You can promise anything. Sure.
  • vmangman wrote: »
    I think that will definitely be possible, but the big issue comes from the PvP environment.

Sure you can have some kind of contract or collateral to assure your customer that you won’t steal the goods. However, if you are such a contractor/caravan driver would you be able to also promise that you’ll defend the goods on your trip from other players?

If you have a very good network of friendly players, you can have very well protected shipments. But nothing will be 100% safe. You will still have the PvP side of things, no matter what you do to safeguard a shipment.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    From my point of view I see this as a very viable way to enjoy an aspect of AOC that is integral to the core of the game. There is no reason you could not form your whole guild around such an enterprise. Goods need to be moved around Verra and if there is a group out there who can offer services to do so sounds like fun to me.

Risk and reward.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • KaselKasel Member, Founder
    Great idea, for sure you should go for it and see how it goes
  • I don't know if it would get added as a specific job but i dont see any issue with playing that way. Grow a reputation by being a famous merchant or caravan driver. Sounds pretty cool to me and adds more role play and immersion elements.
    What makes an mmo is the various different things people are capable of doing and making the world come alive. What destroys an mmo is those same players trying to exploit every little thing in a climb for supremacy. Then it just becomes a lame game with no depth which is what developers appear to struggle with.
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't see why it would need any specific mechanic to make it a profession or whatever, but I have no doubt mercenary guilds will be a thing.
  • If you have a guild that is able to give at your caravans a good success rate and you buy stuff you know you can make profits on in a other city , you can by time be the number one guild where people will go to sell there goods, they will have less money that if they went in a others place to sell it but 0% risk because you will be the one taking risk .
    If you do well you could be a big wheel of the economic health of your server
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Highwayman/Bandit and Caravan guard was mentioned as a progression path by Steven a while back.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It could be pretty lucrative. People love things that makes their lives easier. Not having to figure out transport and protection, or invest in a strong caravan will look really good to some crafters/gatherers. Just gotta work out those details haha
  • Caravan runs at night time, now that would be an adrenaline rush especially if there was a proper day/night cycle where night time was dark! (think BDO)
    Having a few lamps here and there/attached to the caravan would add the the atmosphere rather than having nightime visibility fractionally darker than daylight, this would highten your senses and make you much more alert/nervous when running with goods
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    volsh wrote: »
    Caravan runs at night time, now that would be an adrenaline rush especially if there was a proper day/night cycle where night time was dark! (think BDO)
    Having a few lamps here and there/attached to the caravan would add the the atmosphere rather than having nightime visibility fractionally darker than daylight, this would highten your senses and make you much more alert/nervous when running with goods

time to make the headless horsemen
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    Caravan runs at night time, now that would be an adrenaline rush especially if there was a proper day/night cycle where night time was dark! (think BDO)

Or the riders of the apocalypse. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Riders of the Alpaca-lypse?
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Riders of the Alpaca-lypse?

soon-it-will-be-the-alpacalypse-urely-you-mean-llamageddon-43254241.png
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Hmmmn. Now I gotta go harvest some leeks.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Or the riders of the apocalypse. ;)

BQVZGEX.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    BQVZGEX.gif

For first look, I thought that the second one has eggshell in his head. :smiley: